Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series

Michigan they got because they wanted a name opponent for the opening of the remodeled Big House and the buyout was 5 million. Michigan tried like crazy to get out of that game or have it moved to Metlife, but UConn wouldn't.

Mizzou let's wait until they actually play at UConn and Tennessee already canceled it series with UConn FB.

Their Basketball brand doesn't extend to FB and the season they went to Fiesta Bowl the Big East didn't have a top 25 team and UConn went to that bowl with 4 losses and almost singlehandly got the Big East autobid taken away due to frustration from the other leagues. I wouldn't say the AAC is any better than the Mountain West which got the autobid from the G5 last year and will likely be favored this year as well. UConn FB is nowhere near the top of the G5 foodchain.

Err, not saying UConn was great, good, decent, bad, or horrible that year and there is a good argument the BE did not deserve a bid that year, but I'm not sure how that is "singlehandedly" on UConn. Every team in the BE is at fault for not being better than UConn was that year. If UConn was bad, what does that make every other BE team that year? It was a total group effort at sucking that almost got the BE auto bid taken away.

Alsacs said:
Who is ticked off? I mean if having an opinion that doesn't drink the kool-aid from the SUAD that everything is great is getting ticked I guess you have a point. This series doesn't help Syracuse as much as it helps UConn. Therefore I think people saying this series isn't in the best interest of SUFB have a fair point. I would love the TheCusian formula for determining whether or not people can actually have an opinion for. You are the graphic designer who has defended the uniforms, you defend the coaching staff, you defend everything and while I like you as a poster this type of post doesn't help the discourse at all. It creates a strawman where if you don't like the series you are ticked off when that isn't the case at all.

No. You have your opinion and I have mine. I think it's small potatoes. And with a new AD coming in soon - it may all be old news.

If you want to get worked up, that's cool with me. But from where I sit, it's just not a big deal. Didn't mean to squash the discourse. Have at it,

Alsacs said:
Who is ticked off? I mean if having an opinion that doesn't drink the kool-aid from the SUAD that everything is great is getting ticked I guess you have a point. This series doesn't help Syracuse as much as it helps UConn. Therefore I think people saying this series isn't in the best interest of SUFB have a fair point. I would love the TheCusian formula for determining whether or not people can actually have an opinion for. You are the graphic designer who has defended the uniforms, you defend the coaching staff, you defend everything and while I like you as a poster this type of post doesn't help the discourse at all. It creates a strawman where if you don't like the series you are ticked off when that isn't the case at all.

Owe you and Bees an apology. The way I wrote that didn't say it as clearly as I thought at the time. I should have included "to me" with it.

This series isn't a bad thing, but as it's been pointed out- this is what you get when you aren't out in front of scheduling OOC games. This absolutely needs to change, and quickly.

1-1 should include a trip from the men's hoops team to the Dome and nothing else.

This series doesn't make any sense. I don't care about the validating UConn thing, but there's little reason to schedule another New England team when we get BC every year. Heck, we already have comparable programs on the docket with URI and Holy Cross.

EDIT: I suppose there was a good reason...few opponents with openings on their schedule. With that, I guess there's a good reason and UConn makes more sense than most other options. Still 1-1 is silly.

I am sure LSU felt the same way about scheduling us...but they did a 1-1 with a "lesser" school. Why are we better and above doing the same thing with UCONN?

Recruiting in CT, New England and the tri-state area isn't a good reason to play a game there, who knew.

Err, not saying UConn was great, good, decent, bad, or horrible that year and there is a good argument the BE did not deserve a bid that year, but I'm not sure how that is "singlehandedly" on UConn. Every team in the BE is at fault for not being better than UConn was that year. If UConn was bad, what does that make every other BE team that year? It was a total group effort at sucking that almost got the BE auto bid taken away.
If you want to spread the stink of the Big East onto everyone that season that is fair, but UConn's lack of even looking competitive against Oklahoma did hurt the perception. Oklahoma-UConn and Pitt-Utah in Fiesta Bowls really hurt the Big East. UConn 2011 did get the ball rolling on taking the BE auto-bid. So while it wasn't single handily UConn's fault I put all the blame on UConn when it should have been spread out moe.

I am sure LSU felt the same way about scheduling us...but they did a 1-1 with a "lesser" school. Why are we better and above doing the same thing with UCONN?

Recruiting in CT, New England and the tri-state area isn't a good reason to play a game there, who knew.

LSU looks at next year as an easy win against a BCS school.

Recruiting in NE is fine, but as it's been pointed out, SU will play at Met Life, BC and now UConn in 2016. If recruits in the area are going to a game, which one do you think the coaches are going to want them to go to- probably MetLife right? I mean that's why we as fans are told that those games are so important. Shouldn't SU want to play games in other recruiting areas in 2016?

Syracuse has a history that atleast CFB fans know about. Syracuse has had great games with Auburn and Tennessee that atleast show we aren't bad. The series was a mandate by the SEC that they schedule 1 P5 team so while their fans may want another team LSU scheduled a P5 team 1-1. UConn FB will not draw interest from SU FB fans anymore than Temple or Central Michigan if this was hoops okay.

This series isn't a bad thing, but as it's been pointed out- this is what you get when you aren't out in front of scheduling OOC games. This absolutely needs to change, and quickly.
You get it. I agree 100% the series is more dumb than bad. I hope the new AD actually hires someone to get these football schedules filled out.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ned-far-advance-athletic-directors-unhappy-it

Instead Syracuse twiddles their thumbs and waits till the last minute each year without accountability in the AD office. TGD ran a real loose ship.

TheCusian said:
Owe you and Bees an apology. The way I wrote that didn't say it as clearly as I thought at the time. I should have included "to me" with it.

None needed here. Its water cooler stuff.

Syracuse has a history that atleast CFB fans know about. Syracuse has had great games with Auburn and Tennessee that atleast show we aren't bad. The series was a mandate by the SEC that they schedule 1 P5 team so while their fans may want another team LSU scheduled a P5 team 1-1. UConn FB will not draw interest from SU FB fans anymore than Temple or Central Michigan if this was hoops okay.

History is irrelevant in 2015, how many LSU fans care about our history, zero. That is not why the game was scheduled. It was scheduled because they believe that even in our house it would be a cakewalk and very low risk for a loss.

What the SEC mandated is irrelevant, they could have chose to play Michigan State, Oregon, Nebraska, Stanford, FSU or any other upper echelon P5 team. Again, It was scheduled because they believe that even in our house it would be a cakewalk and very low risk for a loss.

We have been asking for more tomato cans on our schedule and now we have on right in areas that we recruit and we are complaining.

SU scheduled UCONN 1-1 because...for SU, It was scheduled because WE believe that even in THEIR house it would be a cakewalk and very low risk for a loss.

Pretty simple actually.

Also, someone over at Nunes pointed out that UConn has a game the 2nd week, meaning this one will most likely be Sept 24 (a week before ND at MetLife). Also SU is going to have to lobby the ACC for a game, or have a Week 2 bye...

Not a big deal as I like you as a poster even though we pretty disagree on everything. I just didn't want to be considered nuts when I think the conservation has been civil both ways even if you disagree on the series.

History is irrelevant in 2015, how many LSU fans care about our history, zero. That is not why the game was scheduled. It was scheduled because they believe that even in our house it would be a cakewalk and very low risk for a loss.

What the SEC mandated is irrelevant, they could have chose to play Michigan State, Oregon, Nebraska, Stanford, FSU or any other upper echelon P5 team. Again, It was scheduled because they believe that even in our house it would be a cakewalk and very low risk for a loss.

We have been asking for more tomato cans on our schedule and now we have on right in areas that we recruit and we are complaining.

SU scheduled UCONN 1-1 because...for SU, It was scheduled because WE believe that even in THEIR house it would be a cakewalk and very low risk for a loss.

Pretty simple actually.
LSU fans know we aren't a newbie playing CFB without any history. LSU scheduled this series because the SEC mandates every school play 1 P5 in the OOC for the CFB playoff committee and SOS.

In 2016 we already have ND at Metlife and BC in New England we didn't need another game in NE. If we are going to give a G5 a home/home it should be in a fertile recruiting ground not East Hartford, CT.

Full_Rebar said:
Also, someone over at Nunes pointed out that UConn has a game the 2nd week, meaning this one will most likely be Sept 24 (a week before ND at MetLife). Also SU is going to have to lobby the ACC for a game, or have a Week 2 bye...

It's like Groundhog Day.

Week 2 is becoming our kryptonite.

LSU fans know we aren't a newbie playing CFB without any history. LSU scheduled this series because the SEC mandates every school play 1 P5 in the OOC for the CFB playoff committee and SOS.

In 2016 we already have ND at Metlife and BC in New England we didn't need another game in NE. If we are going to give a G5 a home/home it should be in a fertile recruiting ground not East Hartford, CT.

LSU fans don't care what we are, they want wins. When they roll over OOC teams, do you really think leaving the stadium they say "... we kicked their behinds...but boy that team had a great history before the year 2000."

I addressed the SEC mandating a P5 team, irrelevant. They scheduled SU because by them we are viewed as a low risk tomato can, they could have challenged themselves but the SEC rarely does OOC. SU is viewed as lower tier P5 team, only reason we were scheduled and they most likely already have an FCS on the schedule, I didn't look. They didn't want a challenge, they wanted a cake-walk. Period.

Same reason we scheduled UCONN. Looking into it any further is a waste of time.

LSU OOC schedule in 2015: Western Kentucky, McNeese State, Eastern Michigan, Syracuse

So the SEC mandate isn't irrelevant if SU is LSU's one P5 OOC team, is it?

This is on SU...they seem to can't get rid of the 2nd week opening. Maybe Wake Forest is cool with it and it will be a traditional week for us to meet

I agree that playing @UConn in 16 is overkill for Tri-State/MA games but waiting until 19 months out...this is what you get

I'm still ok with playing Rutgers/UConn/eastern MAC teams on a semi-regular basis. We need some driveable/winnable games for our CNY fans.

It goes without saying bring me Army or Navy just about every year.

Last edited:
So the SEC mandate isn't irrelevant if SU is LSU's one P5 OOC team, is it?

The SEC forcing SEC teams to play P5 teams is not accomplishing anything when most of the P5 teams selected are lower level. How much did adding SU to LSU's crappy OOC schedule help their SOS? Is beating SU because we are in the P5 going to vault them into the NC discussion? I don't think so.

SEC teams because of the "big P5 mandate" aren't clawing and scratching to play top 25 teams OOC unless of course they are in state rivals or long standing rivals. Most of those have been going on for years.

And with our travelling contingent growing exponentially for roadies we could paint the Rent Orange. Avg. home attendance last year was only around 27k
just curious what was our avg. attendance for home games in the carrier dome

tipphill said:
just curious what was our avg. attendance for home games in the carrier dome

More than that which has nothing to do with his point that with a large SU contingent we can be heard cause they don't draw well.

Btw, it was 40k.

The SEC forcing SEC teams to play P5 teams is not accomplishing anything when most of the P5 teams selected are lower level. How much did adding SU to LSU's crappy OOC schedule help their SOS? Is beating SU because we are in the P5 going to vault them into the NC discussion? I don't think so.

SEC teams because of the "big P5 mandate" aren't clawing and scratching to play top 25 teams OOC unless of course they are in state rivals or long standing rivals. Most of those have been going on for years.

The point I was making was that LSU is coming to SU to satisfy the one P5 team mandate without making their schedule tougher, thus the mandate was relevant to the reason why LSU was willing to do the series. That's all.

More than that which has nothing to do with his point that with a large SU contingent we can be heard cause they don't draw well.

Btw, it was 40k.

And as I recall Pratt Whitney parking lot is a strong tailgate venue. So we have a G5 opponent that we should be favored against, a fairly easy travel game for fans, a good tailgate atmosphere and a chance to play in a fairly important recruiting area. TV may not be excited about the matchup but sorry guys, I'm all in.

CuseOnly said:
The SEC forcing SEC teams to play P5 teams is not accomplishing anything when most of the P5 teams selected are lower level. How much did adding SU to LSU's crappy OOC schedule help their SOS? Is beating SU because we are in the P5 going to vault them into the NC discussion? I don't think so. SEC teams because of the "big P5 mandate" aren't clawing and scratching to play top 25 teams OOC unless of course they are in state rivals or long standing rivals. Most of those have been going on for years.

You have to understand the SEC's scheduling practices prior. They don't play anyone. Playing in the dome vs us is way riskier than South Georgia State at home. The SEC needs to fight that perception. I'm not sure an away game in Syracuse will move the needle - but compared to what they had been doing - it's a step in the right direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom