Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series

When the ACC added Louisville over UConn. The ACC was forced to take Louisivlle because FSU/Clemson/Miami/BC/SU were all anti-UConn and pro-Louisville. That basically was the real first time the NC schools weren't in charge and was FSU cashing in political capital.

Syracuse was he obvious 13th team. We played nice when we got screwed in 2003 and didn't join the dumb lawsuit.

WVU was never getting in because of their fanbase and academics.
USF was never becoming the 3rd FL school in the ACC.
Louisville/Cincinnati still were lower on the totem pole.

That left UConn and Pitt. FSU wanted nothing to do with UConn that left Pitt as the default choice once UConn had a FB problem from FSU/Clemson and bad blood from BC/Miami. By individually naming Shalala and Fr. Leahy UConn lost those schools forever.

Pitt was being sniffed at by the Big XII hat helped as well. UConn will NEVER be in the ACC.

Never say never...UConn could very well be a defensive add and ESPN might throw the ACC a bone and monetize the add.

Never say never...UConn could very well be a defensive add and ESPN might throw the ACC a bone and monetize the add.
there will be no bones being thrown.

come on...espn would make a move to lose $$ just so storz gets in the ACC??

not happening.

storz was passed over in 2003, in 2012 and again in 2013.

strike 1. strike 2. strike 3...youre O-U-T.

If you want to spread the stink of the Big East onto everyone that season that is fair, but UConn's lack of even looking competitive against Oklahoma did hurt the perception. Oklahoma-UConn and Pitt-Utah in Fiesta Bowls really hurt the Big East. UConn 2011 did get the ball rolling on taking the BE auto-bid. So while it wasn't single handily UConn's fault I put all the blame on UConn when it should have been spread out moe.

I dont disagree, UConn football needs to get better and there is no way they should have gotten an auto bid in a competitive conference that year or any year.

I would trade our last 12 years for their next 50 when it comes to on-court or on field accomplishments.

Good point Alacs - UNC wouldn't leave unless the ACC was really damaged by FL St or VA leaving.

Its possible that you guys are right about VA. They would never move. But if CRE has taught me anything its that money does seem to trump history and rivalries.

Maryland is a cultural wasteland and needed a handout. If you think UNC and UVa want to play in the rustbelt well that's pretty funny. also says you've never interacted with anyone from there.

Maryland is a cultural wasteland and needed a handout. If you think UNC and UVa want to play in the rustbelt well that's pretty funny. also says you've never interacted with anyone from there.

Be serious, Bayside. Maryland is a cultural wasteland? This from someone who lives in Virginia?

Take a light plane up the Potomac and look out at Virginia on the left and Maryland on the right and tell me which one you like better.

On your larger point, I'm certain that both UVA and UNC would very much like to exclusively play schools that are more like them academically and socially ... of which there are very few. (Vanderbilt?, Nortwestern?)

UVA would have never voted for VTs inclusion in the ACC without some serious arm-twisting,

And Pitt --- as much of a rust belt school it is ---- isn't the open-enrollment community college Louisville is.

If there's one thing I've learned, is that the Big Ten is really good at keeping secrets and really bad at recent expansion. Maryland and Rutgers could backfire on them over the long haul.

I wouldn't count out the Big Ten adding Uconn and another, but I don't think Delany has carte blanche like he did prior to the last round.

I think this lawsuit between Verizon and ESPN could shape future expansion. If verizon wins, it seems to really affect the leverage networks have with providers and shrinks the revenue crap schools like Rutgers brings to a conference.

UVA would have never voted for VTs inclusion in the ACC without some serious arm-twisting,
People think this because this was the position of past UVA presidents during the life of the ACC. But President John Casteen of UVA really did want VT in the ACC, sponsored VT, and made it clear to the ACC Council of Presidents that he didn't support expansion in 2002 unless VT was included. He made that clear before any Virginia politician knew that the ACC was even considering expansion. Casteen worked closely with VT President Charles Stegar to promote higher education in the state and lobby the legislature to support that mission. They had a lot of mutual respect and support.

Many UVA fans were furious with John Casteen's position at the time, but they didn't worry too much because his vote wouldn't matter since the other 8 members at the time weren't going to vote for VT. But then UNC and Duke voted against expansion making Casteen's vote matter. The result was a VT invite. And to be honest since then, VT has been a good contributing member of the ACC. It took a little longer for Syracuse to come into the league, but you're here now anyway. So it all worked out. Had that not happened that way, I believe VT would now be in the SEC which I don't want in Virginia.

People think this because this was the position of past UVA presidents during the life of the ACC. But President John Casteen of UVA really did want VT in the ACC, sponsored VT, and made it clear to the ACC Council of Presidents that he didn't support expansion in 2002 unless VT was included. He made that clear before any Virginia politician knew that the ACC was even considering expansion. Casteen worked closely with VT President Charles Stegar to promote higher education in the state and lobby the legislature to support that mission. They had a lot of mutual respect and support.

Many UVA fans were furious with John Casteen's position at the time, but they didn't worry too much because his vote wouldn't matter since the other 8 members at the time weren't going to vote for VT. But then UNC and Duke voted against expansion making Casteen's vote matter. The result was a VT invite. And to be honest since then, VT has been a good contributing member of the ACC. It took a little longer for Syracuse to come into the league, but you're here now anyway. So it all worked out. Had that not happened that way, I believe VT would now be in the SEC which I don't want in Virginia.
plus they are a easy win in hoop.

If there's one thing I've learned, is that the Big Ten is really good at keeping secrets and really bad at recent expansion. Maryland and Rutgers could backfire on them over the long haul.

I wouldn't count out the Big Ten adding Uconn and another, but I don't think Delany has carte blanche like he did prior to the last round.

I think this lawsuit between Verizon and ESPN could shape future expansion. If verizon wins, it seems to really affect the leverage networks have with providers and shrinks the revenue crap schools like Rutgers brings to a conference.

The problem is there is no 16 to go with UConn. The Big Ten can't touch the SEC. They have tried to get ACC schools and if they could get 1 ACC school they can get 2. If they could get Oklahoma from the Big XII then Kansas makes more sense than UConn.

UConn is basically stuck hoping either the ACC gets poached for them to get called up or the Big XII disintegrates and the leftovers join an expanded American.

If the ACC didn't add VPI then your right it is likely eventually they would have joined the SEC if they had the success they actually achieved. When the SEC added Texas A&M and they needed a 14th team its likely VPI would have been appealing for the SEC Eastern division. The SEC considered West Virginia before taking Mizzou after they agreed to be part of the East division.

The ONLY reason the B1G added Rutgizz is for the cable TV money that they would get if the B1G Network were added to the Basic Package. They certainly didn't get a healthy Athletic Department. If that doesn't happen or if it is obviated by the direction of technology, than this would have been a huge mistake for the B1G.

People in Wisconsin love UW. They went there and even of they did not they want their kids to go there. Rutgers is where NJ people send their kids if they cannot afford to send them where they really want to go.

Be serious, Bayside. Maryland is a cultural wasteland? This from someone who lives in Virginia?

Take a light plane up the Potomac and look out at Virginia on the left and Maryland on the right and tell me which one you like better.

On your larger point, I'm certain that both UVA and UNC would very much like to exclusively play schools that are more like them academically and socially ... of which there are very few. (Vanderbilt?, Nortwestern?)

And Pitt --- as much of a rust belt school it is ---- isn't the open-enrollment community college Louisville is.

I can see Maryland from my house - that's a damned nice ferris wheel you have there. Their big city has also been in the news lately. I understand the leafy environs of Montgomery County, outside where all the commies are, is pretty nice. :)

To the bigger picture, I think you get the point that a UVa or UNC will never have a bean counter like Wallace Loh pulling their school, their fans, and their tradition out of the dark of night - like the Colts for that matter did going to Indy...

I can see Maryland from my house - that's a damned nice ferris wheel you have there. Their big city has also been in the news lately. I understand the leafy environs of Montgomery County, outside where all the commies are, is pretty nice. :)

To the bigger picture, I think you get the point that a UVa or UNC will never have a bean counter like Wallace Loh pulling their school, their fans, and their tradition out of the dark of night - like the Colts for that matter did going to Indy...

The Maryland situation was driven by a Maryland law that does not allow the Athletic Department to get any money from the General Fund. Rutgers, to keep that garbage scow afloat, was getting $25M a year from the students and the General Fund.

The expansion of the Byrd football stadium was an attempt to double-down to catch up on the bleeding of money. When Fridge couldn't keep the ball rolling, it came back to bite the UM Athletic Department.

Loh took the easy way out or maybe it was the only way out.

UVA and UNC are much better wired into the political structure of their states than Maryland was.

The Maryland situation was driven by a Maryland law that does not allow the Athletic Department to get any money from the General Fund. Rutgers, to keep that garbage scow afloat, was getting $25M a year from the students and the General Fund.

The expansion of the Byrd football stadium was an attempt to double-down to catch up on the bleeding of money. When Fridge couldn't keep the ball rolling, it came back to bite the UM Athletic Department.

Loh took the easy way out or maybe it was the only way out.

UVA and UNC are much better wired into the political structure of their states than Maryland was.

Right - and that gets to the point of our AAC visitors when it comes to their expansion dreams. UVa isn't going to chase $$$ to play in Wisconsin. And UNC certainly won't.

The whispers on the stealth side say that the ninja is adding NYU and and McGill and buying the Sci-Fi Network.

Delaney will counter by making Johns Hopkins a full member and adding North Dakota State for the fracking money.

Keep it here.
anything on oklahoma?

UConn Grad--enuf said.

UConn Grad.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online