Syracuse Welcomes 14 in the 2012-2013 Recruiting Class | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Welcomes 14 in the 2012-2013 Recruiting Class

Rocket out of Ithaca ?, I'm drawing a blank.
Are we after Henderson, I realize grades and attitude are an issue but the kid is fast and can play.

Nobody from the 315 area code. That can't be a good thing.

Rocket out of Ithaca ?, I'm drawing a blank.
Are we after Henderson, I realize grades and attitude are an issue but the kid is fast and can play.

I believe Henderson is heading to Hartford, which is slightly less baffling than the current state of SU recruiting.

Agreed SU recruiting is baffling. I don't understand Ciffery from Ithaca HS, sure he's tough but does not have the speed to play D1 . Was regularly a step behind during the season and especially in the playoffs. Faceoffs maybe?
Has the program lost its luster, seems like we are settling for "projects" or second tier athletes. And how about the gaggle of goalies, do we need a new talent evaluator?

What we are seeing is Syracuse Lacrosse which was so dominant now become ordinary because everyone else in D1 caught up. Our recruiting class tells me that.

Next year's class is already rated Top 3.

Zed would push us over the top.

Next year's class is already rated Top 3.

Zed would push us over the top.
Sounds great, but they need top-5 classes more than once every 5+ years to be competitive in the ACC.

If you factor in the NCAA scholarship limits for mens lax (12.5) and know that top tier recruits parents must consider how they will be able to pay for college; the difference in tuition costs for a private university and a public university is massive.

What college lax coaches are challenged with is not only who can play and benefit your team but whose folks can afford to send them to Syracuse. Thus they have to divide up full-scholarships between incoming recruits. This, of coarse, is hardly the only factor in the "decline" of Cuse recruiting classes.

I use quotes around decline; we only learn the true value to a team by a recruit until they have played a bit. Let's see what hits the field as Coach Desko's 2012-13 team works it's way into this years season before we go over the cliff.

If you factor in the NCAA scholarship limits for mens lax (12.5) and know that top tier recruits parents must consider how they will be able to pay for college; the difference in tuition costs for a private university and a public university is massive.

What college lax coaches are challenged with is not only who can play and benefit your team but whose folks can afford to send them to Syracuse. Thus they have to divide up full-scholarships between incoming recruits. This, of coarse, is hardly the only factor in the "decline" of Cuse recruiting classes.

Let's see what hits the field as Coach Desko's 2012-13 team works it's way into this years season before we go over the cliff.

I think that's a fair point, though it's a little overblown. Many kids going to the top public schools (talking lax recruits) are from out of state and are paying a higher rate, not as high as at a private school but it narrows the gap. UVA estimates nearly 50k as the annual cost for out of state attendance, while SU estimates annual cost at 56k.

Overall, school costs are crazy.

http://www.virginia.edu/Facts/Glance_Tuition.html

http://www.syr.edu/financialaid/costofattendance/index.html

most schools allocate just a few total rides to a select level or recruit and then divide the remaining recruits based on need. As lax has been a sport traditionally limited to native American groups on the east coast. Many of your former recruits were from families who could afford the college investment. (prep school grads). With the nationwide growth of lacrosse comes many god recruits from public schools which changes the financing for college mix. These are teams with upwards of mid forties to 50's in a squad. Thus the NCAA and, in truth, the college presidents attempting to get quality lacrosse on the cheap. It does effect a recruits choices; not in all cases, however in a significant number of cases to have a negative impact upon our ability to recruit some top level talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom