Taj Harris transferring to Rutgers..Leaving Rutgers | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Taj Harris transferring to Rutgers..Leaving Rutgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So our QB, who entered the transfer portal last October, is a quitter as well?

As Elimunelson says in the following comment, "the epitome of quitting on your team."

Is one a quitter, and one not? Or were they trying to save a RS year?

Coaches don't generally leave in the middle of a season. IMO that restriction needs to be applied to the transfer portal.

Coaches can also be fired at the drop of a hat. Maybe players should be, too. Oh wait, coaches are employees, so the same rules don't apply. Maybe we shouldn't be treating coaches and players similarly. Hm.
Wait, so you mean coaches cant kick kids off the team at any point?

As Elimunelson says in the following comment, "the epitome of quitting on your team."

Is one a quitter, and one not? Or were they trying to save a RS year?
Did our QB do it in the middle of the season? If he did, then yes. If he didn’t, then no.

absolutely . This hates losing stuff is garbage. Nobody likes to lose that’s a given, but he took sooo many plays off if it wasnt going to him that’s not playing to win….and his temper tantrums say all you need to know about his character. Hates losing and playing to win are two different things.
Yup. That “hates losing” stuff is almost an insult to all the other players. Just because you don’t make a big show of yourself everytime something goes wrong, you don’t get the “hates losing” credit?

More accurate to say he’s a highly emotional guy which can both help and hurt him at times depending on if it’s properly channeled?

Last edited:
Doesnt compute, I just read a few comments up from this that he isnt that good. ha ha ha.
Best season is like 58 catches for 700+ yards and 5 TDs. He’s had a lot of opportunity.

Guys like Ishmael, Etta-Tawo, and Jackson smashed those numbers...and none of them were exactly Marvin Harrison either.

“Good” is relative. Can he play on anyone’s team? Sure. Can he contribute for most schools - yes. Is he a star? Maybe at certain schools? We’ll see.

I'm afraid this could be the new normal. I'm just hoping we don't lose a guy like Sean Tucker, because he wants to play for a bigger program to maximize his future possible earnings. (Draft stock.) I'm certain some teams will.

I don’t see this happening with tucker. He maximizes his potential just as much being most of the offense at SU then he does running for maybe more yards behind an amazing oline at Alabama. To switch teams now and not know where you end up on the depth chart somewhere else. He knows where he is at SU. I think for him specifically to switch when he’s the focus of the whole team, doesn’t improve anything.

If a new coach comes in and tells you he doesn't have a spot for you, is that still quitting?

I get the redshirt rule (although he still could have played against FSU).

Seems hard to believe that Taj has any plans on playing 2 more seasons after this one, but who knows.

Same for me. Taj leaving when he chose to likely has more to do with his becoming a father and needing to put himself in the best position (as he feels) to get an NFL pay day. He probably wants to provide for himself and family and at this point in his college career he has very tough decisions to make with short time tables.

Think this is more a gamble on himself than him being showed the door because of his me attitude. I know teammates and Dino like him.

I'm sure you're right but I still don't remember the last time a move like this worked out well for the kid.

Many years ago, otherwise fine academic institutions sold their souls to be in the entertainment business. For better or worse this is a natural evolution of that and it is going to continue in ways that we can only glimpse right now. At times, it will bite us in the butt and as fans we can gnash our teeth about it, but as you say we just have to live with it. Many horses are out of the barn at this point.

Did we ever find out how many kids out of the literally 1000s that entered the portal last year actually found a landing spot? Agree that it's a business but that also means lots of bad business decisions.

Does Dino feel burned? After the flip off and the tantrums? Bringing Taj to ACC media week doesn’t look like great judgment on his part.

With NIL opportunities going to ACC media can be huge. Would have been nice to give that slot to someone that actually stays on the team

He was moved to WR, he wasn't a starting QB. If Taj got moved to corner and split it would be more like GS.

Taj is likely a flier to these programs. If he hits great if not they move on quick. Rough business.
Left because he wasn't getting what he wanted, in October, like Taj. Wouldnt be a team player. Quitter. (Not my logic, at all)

Could Taj think that we now have a WR, and not a P5 quality starter, at QB1, as well? Could he think our former QB1s talents were wasted, and he doesn't want his talents wasted, too? (Different focus)

No inside info, and not my logic, but if that's what he believes? You could make an argument either side.

It was pretty clear to me Dino brought Taj to media day to say "Hey, you want to be a mature leader? I am giving you an opportunity to do that" In hopes that he continued to grow into a the type of leader Dino wanted out of him.

Obviously he didn't and now he's gone. Dino gave him a chance to prove who he was, and ultimately did.

Left because he wasn't getting what he wanted, in October. Wouldnt be a team player. Quitter. (Not my logic, at all)

Could Taj think that we now have a WR, and not a P5 quality starter, at QB1, as well? Could he think our former QB1s talents were wasted, and he doesn't want his talents wasted, too? (Different focus)

No inside info, and not my logic, but if that's what he believes? You could make an argument either side.

I honestly don't care much, just didn't think the analogy was the same. After losing Max Scherzer and Trea Turner this summer losing Taj doesn't register high on my sports meter.

Does Dino feel burned? After the flip off and the tantrums? Bringing Taj to ACC media week doesn’t look like great judgment on his part.

With NIL opportunities going to ACC media can be huge. Would have been nice to give that slot to someone that actually stays on the team
I wonder if part if the reason for bringing Taj to media day was to get him to buy into the team concept more and to try to squash any transfer thoughts that may have already been in Taj’s head.

I don’t see this happening with tucker. He maximizes his potential just as much being most of the offense at SU then he does running for maybe more yards behind an amazing oline at Alabama. To switch teams now and not know where you end up on the depth chart somewhere else. He knows where he is at SU. I think for him specifically to switch when he’s the focus of the whole team, doesn’t improve anything.
I certainly hope so. Do Heisman candidates usually come from winning teams?

I thought he was in the top 5? For the odds this week, he wasn't in the top 12.

Top 5 was one person’s (Robert Griffin III) tweet.

I honestly don't care much, just didn't think the analogy was the same. After losing Max Scherzer and Trea Turner this summer losing Taj doesn't register high on my sports meter.
The only reason I posted is that the board accusations, assumptions, and narratives are mostly untrue. Kicking a "kid" out the door, based on things folks would like to believe, based on many false assumptions, is in poor taste.

He was a good receiver for us. I believe he was just as pissed at himself when he made a mistake. He wanted to win, more than anything.

They do, I think. Which makes it all the more confusing that the conference wouldn't be throwing us a bone at this point. Promoting a meh FSU team with no stars over a legitimate Heisman candidate? Bozo move.

That’s a good point too. Likely not.

If you're Notre Dame you're allowed 4 or 5 losses.

That is a tough wound to reopen. Don is my second favorite player of all time after Ernie Davis. I had the pleasure of chatting with him on the quad on the day that his jersey was raised in the Dome and he is a total class act.

He should have been our second (or third...Jim Brown) Heisman winner.

People respond to incentives. The system provides an incentive to quit midseason before you hit your fourth game. Preserving a redshirt paired with instant eligibility after you transfer makes this a lot more appealing if you're feeling unsure about your future in a program. On a quick look, 75 FBS players have entered the transfer portal since the season kicked off.

I just can't get that worked up over players quitting midseason when the system rewards them for quitting midseason. We'll lose some (Taj, Jarveon) and we'll win some (Schrader). So it goes.

That is a tough wound to reopen. Don is my second favorite player of all time after Ernie Davis. I had the pleasure of chatting with him on the quad on the day that his jersey was raised in the Dome and he is a total class act.

He should have been our second (or third...Jim Brown) Heisman winner.

Third. Yeah, I'm still mad. Just another reason to hate Notre Dame...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom