Taking all things into consideration, hasn't Darryl Gross been worth his pay and more? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Taking all things into consideration, hasn't Darryl Gross been worth his pay and more?

Agree Gross has been fanastic the last few years.. He is a salesman, I see what Townie is saying as he is an emptie suit. Personally, I think its a generational thing but you cant argue with the results. His hiring of GROB was a colassal error but he didn't know the landscape at that point

+1

100% positive hire. It's hard to do well in Upstate NY when you come with a little swagger. Everything he does style-wise is going to rub a big chunk of people the wrong way. So that is always going to be there...but the non-revenue sports are significantly improved.

He's done a good job.

44cuse

Agree Gross has been fanastic the last few years.. He is a salesman, I see what Townie is saying as he is an emptie suit. Personally, I think its a generational thing but you cant argue with the results. His hiring of GROB was a colassal error but he didn't know the landscape at that point

Your animated conversation with TGD in 2005 about the USC suitcase was classic.

All that being said, I like the guy. He'll talk with you, engage, is a fan. And no matter what on the ACC he happened to be the guy here when it happened.

Jake was fine for the 1970s and even the early 80s but I don't think he ever understood the emerging marketing and TV angle picking up steam in the late 80s onward. He was "old white guys smoking Marlboro's and drinking Scotch" type of AD...great for the times before the Internet, 3rd tiered rights, etc...

I love the NY's Team Motto: it pisses off the Rutgers and UConn fans to no end. LOL
Jake didn't understand the "emerging marketing and TV angle"

You are incorrect - by a thousand miles.

Jake was at the forefront in the development of regional TV broadcasts - he understood better than anyone else the power of TV money.

And, he understood in 2003 - before anybody on this board understood - that the ACC offerred stability and TV revenue that the University would need in order to maintain a strong football program.

He was way ahead of the curve.

While he was not a glad hander or a glutton for photo ops, he was an innovator to the end and was and remains highly respected in the business.
Sorry, but you're post is not accurate.

Jake worked under the Buzz Shaw administration, and Buzz was tight with the cash. There were a lot of projects that Jake wanted to undertake, but he couldn't get the money from the higher-ups.

Cantor opened up the checkbooks when she took over.
Yes.

This post is accurate.

Gross is a very sharp guy, who understands the economics of major college athletics.

One does not know if he has internal operations skills.

My opinion of TGD has grown tremendously. I didn't like the "44" thingy or GRob of course, but most everything else has been a success.

If you really wanna know if he's doing a good job, read some other BE message boards & see how they wish they had an AD like Gross. Ask UConn, Rutgers, & LVille fans how they feel about his performance- they all have "AD-envy" towards us!

I'd rather have a young, hungry, shrewd AD who's "all in" for my alma mater, then sitting around watching & waiting- as the landscape shifts.
He gets an A.:cool:

You are incorrect - by a thousand miles.

Jake was at the forefront in the development of regional TV broadcasts - he understood better than anyone else the power of TV money.

And, he understood in 2003 - before anybody on this board understood - that the ACC offerred stability and TV revenue that the University would need in order to maintain a strong football program.

While he was not a glad hander or a glutton for photo ops, he was an innovator to the end and was and remains highly respected in the business.

BTW, I deleted my post since I know you have a way better insight into the inner workings at MFH/Hill than I do...sorry for bashing Jake on that front...

Well if he understood it he didn't execute as as hoped...O-PA would you say then the Big East Leadership was the issue? The contracts have always been undervalued.

My biggest gripe with Jake is he should've pushed harder to spend money to make money under Shaw...everyone saw what was happening with programs upgrading all over the place including a few start-ups. I caste a more sympathetic eye on Jake than Buzz though.

I see no reason to dump on Jake in order to praise Gross and the same for dumping on Gross and praising Jake. I think both were good AD's and they both have their strengths and weaknesses but on the whole both were and are very good. We've been lucky regarding those two quality AD's.

BTW, I deleted my post since I know you have a way better insight into the inner workings at MFH/Hill than I do...sorry for bashing Jake on that front...

Well if he understood it he didn't execute as as hoped...O-PA would you say then the Big East Leadership was the issue? The contracts have always been undervalued.

My biggest gripe with Jake is he should've pushed harder to spend money to make money under Shaw...everyone saw what was happening with programs upgrading all over the place including a few start-ups. I caste a more sympathetic eye on Jake than Buzz though.
Cool.

I don't think Jake had much control over the money issue at the time. And, as we all know, Va. politics thwarted his execution of what would have been a brilliant move to the ACC when nobody was even considering such a move.

Nobody had or has a better grasp of the financial issues than he.
He is really high quality.

I have heard him talk at alumni functions.

I have met a lot of "empty suits" in business.

Gross's getting credit for the successes of SU basketball and lacrosse is hilarious.

I'll remember him for three things:

1. GRob - That was HIS pick
2. Lionizing of the players who quit in 72
3. A nickle and dime ad campaign that's a waste of money.

DG was placed in a VERY BAD spot with GROB. He was told that PP was staying. Then the bowl debacle hit. The B of T decided that PP must go, then. All the good candidates were scooped up. He had to select from the best of the worst. He had to limit the budget (why do you think so many grad assistants were suddenly hired as assistant coaches?) In short, he had no money, no field of candidates, and little time to get it done. It is a tough hire to judge him on, IMO.

SU learned a lesson about spending money for football. With the new hire they did that. Given time to find a coach and the money to do it, he came up with 3 choices, HCRE (1st) Skip Holtz (2nd) or Dougie. All would have been good-great hires.

Your animated conversation with TGD in 2005 about the USC suitcase was classic.

All that being said, I like the guy. He'll talk with you, engage, is a fan. And no matter what on the ACC he happened to be the guy here when it happened.

Agree talked to him for a few minutes at the USC game, didn't have the heart to bring up the luggage... Luggage gate.. classic.

I've never heard DG take credit for our basketball and lacrosse programs. For the most part, I think he's just stayed out of their way, while at the same time increasing brand awareness of them by putting them on the biggest of their sport's respective stages.

Gross has done incredible things in his time here, in virtually every sport. Hope he stays for thirty years.

I've never heard DG take credit for our basketball and lacrosse programs. For the most part, I think he's just stayed out of their way, while at the same time increasing brand awareness of them by putting them on the biggest of their sport's respective stages.

Gross has done incredible things in his time here, in virtually every sport. Hope he stays for thirty years.

He hasn't, he just talks them up and hangs his hat on the success as the leader of the athletic dept, past or present as well he should, he is representing his employer. You sell what you got.

Speak for yourself. I've never been a fan of the hybrid. Just looking at Temple could show you how it doesn't work and causes instability. Temple would probably still be in the BE if they were a full member.

Speak for yourself. I've never been a fan of the hybrid. Just looking at Temple could show you how it doesn't work and causes instability. Temple would probably still be in the BE if they were a full member.
I did not mention "hybrid" in my post or its relationship to Jake.

I don't think Jake was a fan of the "hybrid" approach, though I don't know for certain.

I am pretty sure - I live in Philadelphia - that Temple's issues were not caused by the fact that its BB team was not in the BE. And, I'm pretty sure that Villanova would never have agreed to allow the Temple BB program into the BE.

I did not mention "hybrid" in my post or its relationship to Jake.

I don't think Jake was a fan of the "hybrid" approach, though I don't know for certain.

I am pretty sure - I live in Philadelphia - that Temple's issues were not caused by the fact that its BB team was not in the BE. And, I'm pretty sure that Villanova would never have agreed to allow the Temple BB program into the BE.

I didn't say you did. :) I just don't think he was any further ahead of the curve than anyone else who just kept their ears open.

He's done a remarkable job hiring quality coaches in the olympic sports. I love seeing those other sports doing well.

He's done a tremendous job here, from his tying the University to NYC, to helping to get us into the ACC to his success in the Olympic sports. The ACC invite clinches his tenure as being deemed a success.