Taurean Thompson Position 2017-18 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson Position 2017-18

OrangeZeus

Walk On
What position will Taurean Thompson play on defense for the 2017-18 season?

Ideally Thompson could be like Tyler Lydon next season and be able to bounce back and forth between the two positions. But Lydon had a great zone IQ and knew his slides and positioning for both positions. On the other hand, Thompson looked lost at both positions, so I'd almost rather see him focus his entire effort on learning one position rather than split his time and focus between learning both positions.

If Thompson plays the middle of the zone, that forces Chukwu and Sidibe to the bench as his backups. Sidibe might be able to play some on the wing, but I think he's most valuable to us as a center in the long-run. Also, if Thompson is in the middle, that leaves us thin at the forward positions with only Brissett and Moyer committed so far (hopefully Jordan Tucker adds to the depth, but three freshman for the two forward positions is a little unnerving to me at least).

If Thompson commits completely to the wing on defense, that improves our wing depth, but then we go into the season with just Chukwu and Sidibe in the middle. I guess that can't be any worse that what we had at the position last season. They are both in the neighborhood of 225 pounds so hopefully they can bulk up a bit before the start of the season.

Now I've pretty much just talked about where Thompson is better off relative to the other players we have on our team so far. What position he is actually better off playing is a whole different story. I guess you could say he was slightly better in the middle of the zone than the wing last year, but I'm not sure if anyone knows where he'll be most valuable to us on defense moving forward.

So what are your thoughts on his defensive position next season and does anyone have any indication what the staff's plans might be (even though it's really early in the offseason)?

He was slightly less atrocious as a 5 in the zone, than a 4.

He did improve somewhat later in the year, to merely awful, and occasionally acceptable.
Sidibe seems like a more agile defender, and I think he could be decent as a 5 or a 4.
Remember - RickJack played both for us quite well, and Rak spent some time as a 4 also.

The good news is, we have quite a few bodies that are 6'8" or taller to slot into the 4 or 5 spots.
I'm sure the best lineups will shake out over time.

Imagine a world where Sidibe could play the 4? With him and TT as our bigs, they both can score decently, with TT having nearly 3pt range, which he could very well develop for this next year.
(yes, I know he hit a handful of 3's this past season, but I wouldn't call him a threat from there, yet)

He should play wing. He is a prototype PF.
Hopefully Chuwku, Sidibe can handle the middle and Thompson is the 3rd middle option.

Agreed. The team needs to get back to playing actual centers in the middle of the zone and he's not a center.

Starting 3-5-4:
Tucker/brissett, Chukwu, Thompson. Moyer/Sidibe in for decent minutes.

Ideally Thompson could be like Tyler Lydon next season and be able to bounce back and forth between the two positions. But Lydon had a great zone IQ and knew his slides and positioning for both positions. On the other hand, Thompson looked lost at both positions, so I'd almost rather see him focus his entire effort on learning one position rather than split his time and focus between learning both positions.

If Thompson plays the middle of the zone, that forces Chukwu and Sidibe to the bench as his backups. Sidibe might be able to play some on the wing, but I think he's most valuable to us as a center in the long-run. Also, if Thompson is in the middle, that leaves us thin at the forward positions with only Brissett and Moyer committed so far (hopefully Jordan Tucker adds to the depth, but three freshman for the two forward positions is a little unnerving to me at least).

If Thompson commits completely to the wing on defense, that improves our wing depth, but then we go into the season with just Chukwu and Sidibe in the middle. I guess that can't be any worse that what we had at the position last season. They are both in the neighborhood of 225 pounds so hopefully they can bulk up a bit before the start of the season.

Now I've pretty much just talked about where Thompson is better off relative to the other players we have on our team so far. What position he is actually better off playing is a whole different story. I guess you could say he was slightly better in the middle of the zone than the wing last year, but I'm not sure if anyone knows where he'll be most valuable to us on defense moving forward.

So what are your thoughts on his defensive position next season and does anyone have any indication what the staff's plans might be (even though it's really early in the offseason)?
PC should be allotted walk on minutes

He will play a ton of minutes because he is a gifted offensive player. There is no denying he was a liability on D. Hopefully, that was more of a freshman learning curve thing. Ideally, I would guess that JB would like to play him on the wing on D. Some of the reality of where he will play is going to be a combination of who else can play the 5 and where can JB best "hide" TT's shortcomings. He will be on the floor regardless.

Hopefully Chuwku, Sidibe can handle the middle and Thompson is the 3rd middle option.
I would hardly say he is a prototypical 4. Rick Jackson is the Proto typical Syracuse 4 to me, with a mostly back to the basket game. TT is more of an NBA prototype 4, but he has a long way to go to be taken seriously there. But his defense prevents him from ever being used at the SU zone five unless all other options have been exhausted in my opinion. This past year proved that. Turnstile D, that made me laugh.

Thompson and Sidibe will split time at the 5. Chukwu will hardly play. I think Brissett and Moyer split the 4. With Brissett playing the majority.

Mainly agree, but unless we get Tucker Brissett is probably at the three and then we'll see PC at the 5 with TT at the 4 some.

Mainly agree, but unless we get Tucker Brissett is probably at the three and then we'll see PC at the 5 with TT at the 4 some.
I was assuming Tucker. I think Brissett will still player a little 3 with Tucker. Moyer can't do that in my opinion.

Tsquare DQed twice and averaged 3 fouls per at under 20 minutes a game playing the 5. and all that while playing crappy defense. i'm not sure he'd even see the second half had he actually contested a few shots . he can score. but it's gonna take a lot work this summer defensively .

THIS. It's really one of the keys to our season next year. Finding a serviceable Center/Center rotation that allows TT to play the 4 exclusively

Ideally, I'd like to see TT, Sidibe, Tucker on the back line. With Moyer Brissett as the backups and TT as the backup center. I wouldn't be shocked to see TT as the center with Tucker and either Moyer or Brissett starting either. I'd be surprised to see Chukwu starting at this point. It's not a Fab situation where it was his first year in college. He was two years out of High School a year in our program and still ill prepared to contribute.

This is assuming Tucker choses to come to SU.

Last edited:
Ideally, I'd like to see TT, Sidibe, Tucker on the back line. With Moyer Brissett as the backups and TT as the backup center. I wouldn't be shocked to see TT as the center with Tucker and either Moyer or Brissett starting either. I'd be surprised to see Chukwu starting at this point.

We have find 40 minutes of competent center play. Thompson & Sidibe are going to be foul machines next year, so unless Chukwu makes some sort of miraculous upgrade in his skills I see both having most of their minutes at the 5. Has nothing to do with what position they're better suited for.

If TT wants to make the league he better work his arse off and turn himself into a power forward. A shot blocking rebounding machine who can hit the 15 take his man off the dribble and finish strong. He needs to grow a set and play strong.

Thompson is not great laterally. That is a killer as a defender at any position, but least noticeable at the center position. He needs to figure out how to move side to side more fluidly to play the forward position on defense. But, if he has NBA dreams, then he has been working since the day after the season ended and will work like crazy this offseason. I expect a much improved Taurean Thompson, and along with Tyus, he will be a leader for this team.

If TT wants to make the league he better work his arse off and turn himself into a power forward. A shot blocking rebounding machine who can hit the 15 take his man off the dribble and finish strong. He needs to grow a set and play strong.
I was thinking this thread was about reality not what we wish TT was. He will never be the player you are describing.

I would bet he plays more minutes at the 5 this upcoming year than the 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom