Taurean Thompson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

This is one of the most skilled offensive big men I've ever seen at Syracuse as a freshman.

That is also my thinking. I don't think Thompson compares to any other player we've had, He's a really good 6'10" guy. In the world of drafting based on potential TT may be playing so well by March he may be one and done.

The references to McCullough have me thinking:

In what world could McCullough have been a top 20 recruit while Thompson got whatever unmemorable ranking he did?

All one needs to do is watch five minutes of play during each guy's freshman year to recognize that one is superior in nearly every facet of the game.

Thompson is really good. The poster who said he's the most skilled forward since Anthony isn't totally crazy.

I hope his tenure here goes well, because he's a special talent.

Did he have a late growth spurt or something ? He has small man skills. Most of us figured he was the next Eric Williams

I honestly think it has more to do with perceived athleticism. McCullough was a high flying athlete with good skills and tons of upside. Thompson is a less exciting blend of fundamentals who often makes plays below the rim.

One of those archetypes is valued, the other is discounted, regardless of effectiveness. Too much emphasis is placed on projecting to the NBA, in my opinion, with little regard to guys being great college players.

On thing is clear, though--if Thompson continues to play like he's been [even if his scoring drops off], and has the normal growth curve over the course of his career, he'll be an NBA prospect.

That is also my thinking. I don't think Thompson compares to any other player we've had, He's a really good 6'10" guy. In the world of drafting based on potential TT may be playing so well by March he may be one and done.
Oh, he could definitely be looked at as a prototypical NBA stretch four but assuming TT has a nice year and Frank Howard has a nice year, the thing that should help the Cuse hold on to these guys is the high number of highly rated freshmen players there are already out there. Hopefully there won't be enough slots available.

Did he have a late growth spurt or something ? He has small man skills. Most of us figured he was the next Eric Williams

Good call, that's exactly what I thought, someplace on the lower end of the Eric Williams/Rick Jackson spectrum. Instead he's solidly in the Donte Greene/Carmelo Anthony spectrum. I've never been this surprised by a recruit.

Hope Thompson does everything possible to maximize that talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom