Taurean Thompson | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

99 of the top 100 have signed already. This isn't normal "parenting". Spots are getting filled up. Mom is playing a bluffing game, hoping that someone has a need that might get her kid to a "better" program than he might otherwise have wound up at.
That's your opinion. You have no idea what mom is doing. It's one of the biggest decisions a family can make, and the family should be involved

That's your opinion. You have no idea what mom is doing. It's one of the biggest decisions a family can make, and the family should be involved
You have a good idea of what Mom is doing if January, February, March and half of April pass ... there's no commitment, and SU and Providence (the only schools on his list) are passed over for a late interloper with no prior contact. Again, I am not implying that the Thompson recruitment has been corrupted. What I can say is that these are typical circumstances we've seen all too often, when something other than genuine "deliberation" is going on.

Last edited:
You have a good idea of what Mom is doing if January, February, March and half of April pass ... there's no commitment, and SU and Providence (the only schools on his list) are passed over for a late interloper with no prior contact. Again, I am not implying that the Thompson recruitment has been corrupted. What I can say is that these are typical circumstances we've seen all too often, when something other than genuine "deliberation" is going on.
Hey, it is a risk on his part. While he is shopping around, other players become visible to the staff and his options may diminish. We've seen many times when a kid like this waits too long and pretty soon, he ends up at some mid major because his opportunities dried up. It could work either way. I am hoping we get the kid from Mali, I think he has a much bigger upside. I've never been all that impressed with Thompson, although if he does come here, I hope I am wrong and I will root for him regardless.

Damn.. Some of you people are ridiculous.
!!!

Whatever the situation, when the process drags into the spring and beyond, at some point the staff has to determine if the recruit is interested in SU, the attention or other considerations. It's always the recruit's prerogative. But when a reasonable time has passed with no decision, the staff (and many on the board) move on to prospects with genuine interest.
By April .. he's had huge amounts of time for honest "deliberation". If he's not ready to commit to SU at this stage for whatever reason (legit or not legit), he shouldn't be surprised if the staff starts looking elsewhere. It's a two-sided process.
The staff I'm sure is looking at alternate plans right now -- no need to miss out on another kid if it starts appearing we are being strung along. Not saying this is the case necessarily and that this kid and his family aren't genuinely taking their time to do all the necessary research -- but as we have seen before, oftentimes this signals they are trying to go somewhere else.
Ugh.

The above sentiment is JB's recruiting philosophy in a nutshell. If the kid isn't fawning over SU, if he isn't committing before his senior year, if he isn't sending in his fax during the early signing period, if there's any waiting or work involved, let's not bother. Let's just move on. How many times has this happened in the past few years? A recruit looks to be too much work, or too much of a wait, and all contact ceases? I don't even want to go back and look at the what-ifs, there's too many to name. This is why we end up with guys like Ron Patterson and Chino.

Frankly, I'm completely shocked JB let this recruitment go into the spring at all. Usually we'd have the "I haven't heard from them since January" article by now.

99 of the top 100 have signed already.
Actually, 85 of 100 are signed. 8 are committed. And 7 have yet to decide.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

This isn't normal "parenting". Spots are getting filled up. Mom is playing a bluffing game, hoping that someone has a need that might get her kid to a "better" program than he might otherwise have wound up at.
It's not "normal parenting"? Regardless of the fact that it may not have anything to do with the mom (perhaps TT isn't all that excited about picking a college), I think any parent would attempt to see to the best outcome for their son/daughter, that would set them up for life. God forbid he ends up in a better situation than he would at SU. This should be about SU fan enjoyment, not this kid's future. Right??

I don't see a problem with it. Some kids are late bloomers and benefit from producing in their final year of HS. They get more eyes on them. They suddenly have more options to consider that weren't there previously. Maybe he was waiting to see how the early entry situation played out. Big deal? Maybe he goes on his visits and sees something better somewhere else. So what? Maybe he decides SU was the best for him all along. Ok? Then everyone will come back around to kissing his *ss, just like they did with Tyus.

!!!

Ugh.

The above sentiment is JB's recruiting philosophy in a nutshell. If the kid isn't fawning over SU, if he isn't committing before his senior year, if he isn't sending in his fax during the early signing period, if there's any waiting or work involved, let's not bother. Let's just move on. How many times has this happened in the past few years? A recruit looks to be too much work, or too much of a wait, and all contact ceases? I don't even want to go back and look at the what-ifs, there's too many to name. This is why we end up with guys like Ron Patterson and Chino.

Frankly, I'm completely shocked JB let this recruitment go into the spring at all. Usually we'd have the "I haven't heard from them since January" article by now.

Actually, 85 of 100 are signed. 8 are committed. And 7 have yet to decide.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/order/true

It's not "normal parenting"? Regardless of the fact that it may not have anything to do with the mom (perhaps TT isn't all that excited about picking a college), I think any parent would attempt to see to the best outcome for their son/daughter, that would set them up for life. God forbid he ends up in a better situation than he would at SU. This should be about SU fan enjoyment, not this kid's future. Right??

I don't see a problem with it. Some kids are late bloomers and benefit from producing in their final year of HS. They get more eyes on them. They suddenly have more options to consider that weren't there previously. Maybe he was waiting to see how the early entry situation played out. Big deal? Maybe he goes on his visits and sees something better somewhere else. So what? Maybe he decides SU was the best for him all along. Ok? Then everyone will come back around to kissing his *ss, just like they did with Tyus.
Lots of straw man arguments there. "It's the recruit's choice", "he's looking for his best situation", JB "doesn't want to put in the work" or "demands fawning", etc., ect. None of that is true or meaningful. The recruit trimmed his list months ago to a few schools with SU being the major player -- that was HIS list, not ours. I think the staff put a lot of work into this and gave it a good faith effort. Now it seems the situation is adrift and last-minute schools are swooping that have had no prior involvement. No need to stick around any longer.

Best of luck to the young man. But I like the new direction the staff is taking.

Last edited:
He trimmed his list months ago to a few schools with SU being the major player -- that was HIS list, not ours.
So you firmly believe in the age-old "no take-backs" clause? And now he's the bad guy because he'd rather see how multiple developing situations play out, rather than making a hasty decision based on incomplete information? Seems legit.

I actually don't see what the big hurry is. Have you never heard of the spring signing period? It starts in three days. It exists for these kids to take however much time they need with their decisions. It's not like we've reached some absurd, never-before-seen stage in the recruiting timeline.

I think the staff put a lot of work into this and gave it a good faith effort. Now it seems the situation is adrift and last-minute schools are swooping that have had no prior involvement. No need to stick around any longer.
By all means, the staff has the freedom to move on whenever they want. They could have cut this short back in January. The problem I have, is that it's difficult to get the level of talent necessary to wins championships if you're unwilling to work your *ss off. And SU fans will complain about Ron Patterson and Chino Obokoh being no more than warm bodies, but in the same breath be totally exasperated if getting a better player requires a bit more time and attention.

Also, I don't get why we have to "move on". Last time I checked, JB and staff can talk to more than one recruit at a time. Just because we're showing interest in Dembele, doesn't mean we have to cut all contact with TT. If there's one way we can be assured of not getting a Thompson commit, it's definitely by shunning him because he didn't accept our offer in a timely fashion.

This is why we end up with guys like Ron Patterson and Chino.

And speaking of recruiting reaches and poor planning (and "last-minute schools are swooping that have had no prior involvement"), we should offer Taurean's Brewster Academy teammate Alpha Diallo as Mali-insurance. His best offers are Florida, Indiana, Miami, Seton Hall, and VaTech.

HughWotmate said:
So you firmly believe in the age-old "no take-backs" clause? And now he's the bad guy because he'd rather see how multiple developing situations play out, rather than making a hasty decision based on incomplete information? Seems legit. I actually don't see what the big hurry is. Have you never heard of the spring signing period? It starts in three days. It exists for these kids to take however much time they need with their decisions. It's not like we've reached some absurd, never-before-seen stage in the recruiting timeline. By all means, the staff has the freedom to move on whenever they want. They could have cut this short back in January. The problem I have, is that it's difficult to get the level of talent necessary to wins championships if you're unwilling to work your *ss off. And SU fans will complain about Ron Patterson and Chino Obokoh being no more than warm bodies, but in the same breath be totally exasperated if getting a better player requires a bit more time and attention. Also, I don't get why we have to "move on". Last time I checked, JB and staff can talk to more than one recruit at a time. Just because we're showing interest in Dembele, doesn't mean we have to cut all contact with TT. If there's one way we can be assured of not getting a Thompson commit, it's definitely by shunning him because he didn't accept our offer in a timely fashion.

If they feel they have a better chance with a better or equal player and that TT is slow playing the thing? Bird in hand.

Besides, we are not privy to conversations. Maybe he and his Mom said they were not going to commit until signing day, started fielding offers from all over? It's perfectly reasonable to say "not worth it"...

This thread has gone full circus. And you should never go full circus.

Robert-in-Tropic-Thunder-robert-downey-jr-4499932-720-480.jpg

!!!

If you're old enough to remember, I offer you these recruits from our past - Julius Hodge, Kenny Anderson and Stephon Marbury. Only the Hodge situation worked out. The other two led to disaster.

Not according to the NCAA. They are well within the time limited allowed by the NCAA.
Every year there seem to be a couple guys ranked in the 75-100 range that are available in the spring. They become hot commodities for certain high profile teams for one reason or another. And they get the type of attention that more highly ranked kids usually get. I can see a kid really digging the attention, but he has to be careful, because the game of musical chairs is nearly over and they could overestimate their value to these teams. Harry Giles, you wait for. Taurean Thomson, not so much.

So you firmly believe in the age-old "no take-backs" clause? And now he's the bad guy because he'd rather see how multiple developing situations play out, rather than making a hasty decision based on incomplete information? Seems legit.

I actually don't see what the big hurry is. Have you never heard of the spring signing period? It starts in three days. It exists for these kids to take however much time they need with their decisions. It's not like we've reached some absurd, never-before-seen stage in the recruiting timeline.

By all means, the staff has the freedom to move on whenever they want. They could have cut this short back in January. The problem I have, is that it's difficult to get the level of talent necessary to wins championships if you're unwilling to work your *ss off. And SU fans will complain about Ron Patterson and Chino Obokoh being no more than warm bodies, but in the same breath be totally exasperated if getting a better player requires a bit more time and attention.

Also, I don't get why we have to "move on". Last time I checked, JB and staff can talk to more than one recruit at a time. Just because we're showing interest in Dembele, doesn't mean we have to cut all contact with TT. If there's one way we can be assured of not getting a Thompson commit, it's definitely by shunning him because he didn't accept our offer in a timely fashion.
What you don't seem to realize is that plenty of effort has been expended and the period for deliberation and patience has passed. This isn't the staff's first recruit. JB's been doing this for 40 years. He offered this kid in September of last year. Seven months have gone by and nearly all of the top 100 are committed (well over 90%). We've done what we can here and, with recruiting restrictions in place, resources are limited. I think we've exhausted this subject.

Last edited:
Based upon my recollection of SU recruiting history, it generally seems we get our commitments early, whom then sign during the early signing period. We've been on this kid for an extensive while, it reminds me somewhat of Bryant last year, and, others in the past, that ultimately end up choosing elsewhere during this spring signing period.

What you don't seem to realize is that plenty of effort has been expended and the period for deliberation and patience has passed.
"Plenty of effort"? Define that. Is JB outworking other coaches? And as I said previously, "the period for deliberation and patience" has not passed. Spring signing starts on Wednesday. Why would it exist if kids were expected to have made a decision by now? This "period" you speak of, seems to have been created from your own (and some others here) personal preferences.

He offered this kid in September of last year. Seven months have gone by and nearly all of the top 100 are committed (well over 90%). We've done what we can here and, with recruiting restrictions in place, resources are limited. I think we've exhausted this subject.
So what? We offered Tyus Battle in the summer of 2012. Why didn't that ingrate (sarcasm) accept our offer sooner?? It took him a whole 34 months to commit. Even then, it was after committing to another school. I honestly have no idea what the offer date of Thompson has to do with any of this.

We're coming in late on Dembele, does that mean he's playing games with Iowa State?

Look, I'm not even that sold on TT (I think he's fairly low-energy), but the fan indignation over his decision-making process is a tad ridiculous. Let the kid live. If JB really wanted him, he should have pursued harder.

If JB really wanted him, he should have pursued harder.
cuz you know how hard he pursued, huh? and you know what has gone down behind the scenes, huh?
if you don't think this kid's recruiting has been an unnecessary saga (i.e., he and his mom milking it far too long) then you really haven't been paying very good attention.

cuz you know how hard he pursued, huh?
I'll ask again, is JB outworking other coaches? You don't have to be privy to every detail to see how much overall effort various coaches make on the trail.

if you don't think this kid's recruiting has been an unnecessary saga
It seems, anymore, that any recruitment that exists beyond the fall signing period is "an unnecessary saga". People need to chill.

I'll ask again, is JB outworking other coaches? You don't have to be privy to every detail to see how much overall effort various coaches make on the trail.

It seems, anymore, that any recruitment that exists beyond the fall signing period is "an unnecessary saga". People need to chill.
and people need quit talking out of their azzes on stuff they really don't know about :noidea:

I'm just mad because it's like this dude was our backup chick for prom because the super hot cheerleading chick was dating someone else so, us being cool guy jocks, are like ok whatever, let me just bring this B-list girl to prom because we need a date and then the backup chick is like, I gotta think about it and starts talking to some guy on the tennis team, the hall monitor and captain of the chess club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom