TC cant shoot and should only be allowed 3 per half | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

TC cant shoot and should only be allowed 3 per half

I'm more than willing to be critical of Cooney, but this is completely not true, IMO.

I was in the Bahamas and watched him closely in every game. He's moving more than ever. The guy's guarding him were having a hard time keeping up with him.

I have only seen one game so far so I can't comment on his fitness declining. He looked fine in that aspect to me.

One thing I am wondering about is has the team run the backdoor play they used to have where Baye would get the ball at the top of the key and hit Cooney under the basket? Have to think that would still be effective with Lydon making that pass. They have to respect his shot so Lydon's defender would be way out on him. Just curious if you've seen this run.

I have only seen one game so far so I can't comment on his fitness declining. He looked fine in that aspect to me.

One thing I am wondering about is has the team run the backdoor play they used to have where Baye would get the ball at the top of the key and hit Cooney under the basket? Have to think that would still be effective with Lydon making that pass. They have to respect his shot so Lydon's defender would be way out on him. Just curious if you've seen this run.

They tried it in Atlantis with DC and he threw it away.

Question: On the football side these posts singling out players get deleted faster than I have a chance to reply but this thing has 117 responses?

What's up with that. :noidea:
It's a hoops board tradition to absolutely hammer on an upperclassman who has helped the program achieve sustained excellence.

Good lord. I didn't even bother to look at another post in this thread after reading the OP... C'mon guys. I swear some of you do not watch the same game I watch. Because this team is so LOADED with other options. No inside presence whatsoever. Do you want Silent G to shoot 1000 times a game and then have Kaleb Joseph taking a bunch of shots that do not even make it to the hoop because they get blocked? Some of you all live in legit bananaland when it comes to Syracuse basketball

It's a hoops board tradition to absolutely hammer on an upperclassman who has helped the program achieve sustained excellence.

I don't think anyone hammers on him - it's just a strange back and forth. It was like this for Triche as well. There is a certain level of defensive with Cooney where people argue very strongly that any griping about TC's play is bashing.

I remember arguing (along with others) endlessly that Rak was being underutilized, etc...for three years. He was termed lazy, some said we'd be better if he left school after his Sophomore year, that he had no offensive skill-set to speak of, that if he was any good he would get touches, etc...but nobody gets that defensive about it - and takes it personal and requests the bashing to stop, but you get this every time..."why you guys bashing TC! Stop it. (Insert name of broadcaster engaging in hyperbole) said he's super-good!!"

It's just something about Cooney that people love so they take these threads very personal. So, the threads all get out of hand to a certain extent.

We could have a thread like this CJ Fair's senior year and nobody would be overly concerned. People get emotional about TC. Is what it is.

I'd like to continue with this point by invoking the name of the dearly departed Scoop Jardine.

He went from, as a junior, a player who thought he had to be the star of the team (and failed), to a senior who realized he didn't have to be the star of the team. His shooting, in fewer attempts, went from FG% 41.5 to 47.1, and 3PT% from 35.7 to 37.1, and his turnovers dropped about half a turnover per game. In a parallel to this team, he went from having nobody who could shoot (he thought) to having several who could shoot. So why can't Cooney come to the same realization? Last year, yep, nobody to help with the deep shot. This year, two additional shooters, plus an improved Gbinije. Of course, a decrease in PT obviously helped with some of the stats, but Scoop realized he didn't have to be the hero, something that Cooney would also benefit from, especially because he, like Scoop, has never proven that he IS the hero shooter he thinks he is.

And I don't think anyone is talking about relegating Cooney to the bench for twenty mins per game, you're talking about one or two less crappy shots, and you're talking one less turnover per game (by the way, he's up to 3.0 TOs/g, double what he was last year), and you're talking five mins of rest per game. These are things that are supposed to get better as one gets older, not worse, yet somehow a guy whose shooting percentages have gone down and turnovers have gone up over time (Soph->Senior) sees his PT continue to go up to where he's now averaging 39 mins/game.

Kev
I think the Scoop\Cooney parallel is an interesting one. Both very polarizing players on the board clearly. Both 5 year guys. Personally I found Scoop infuriating for the majority of his career. I remember thinking he was going to be a huge issue before his sr year because there was no way he was going to accept a lesser role and defer to all that talent we had on that team. But as you point out he did. And in doing so he became a far more efficient player - a winning player. With Cooney I think, unfortunately, there are two differences. 1. This team just isn't anywhere near as good as Scoop's team. G is very good. The rest are either marginal talents or frosh who aren't quite ready to be #1 or #2 options on good teams. That Scoop team had Joseph as a Sr, Dion as a Soph, Fair, Triche, Southerland, Fab. We had good players who didn't even get on the floor. So...Cooney still has to do way too much. He has to perform like a #2 option when he is ideally cast as a #4 or #5 option 2. Cooney just isn't as good as Scoop. Scoop had limitations but he was just a better player. Just my opinion

I'm surprised after the things said about BJ and Ron last year and some hard feelings that mods wouldn't be more sensitive to this. They certainly are on the football board. Oh well.

We got one isolation pullup guy off the dribble on this team. Richardson.

Gbinije has shown alittle bit of the ability to pullup off the bounce, but its usually with a straight dribble as opposed to a left right one.
Malachi was 3-11 today.

Can't get mad at Cooney forcing 3-4 pullup shots off the dribble when Malachi is off. Usually he will only force 1-2.

Richardson is not an iso guy, yet. Btw, you seem obsessed with isolation talk. It's in every one of your posts. Just like I'm obsessed with the day we play more than 1 defense.

Cuse_1999 said:
I'm guessing it's you since love Cooney so much

I'm guessing your wrong.

Richardson is not an iso guy, yet. Btw, you seem obsessed with isolation talk. It's in every one of your posts. Just like I'm obsessed with the day we play more than 1 defense.

If you think we are going to run a team with only spot up shooters and backdoor layups and no post up guys(which is pretty much the same thing as no isolation) then you might as well throw us outside the top 40 in the country as well. Every team needs scorers off the bounce.

Last edited:
"Our zone is designed to force long shots which equate to long rebounds on misses."

looks more this season like our zone is designed to surrender easy bunnies and put backs inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom