Class of 2020 - TE/DE Maximilian Mang (Germany) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/18/19) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 TE/DE Maximilian Mang (Germany) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/18/19)

Maximilian, welcome to the Syracuse Football family!

Goorangefootball157496140074034156.gif

Well if he ended up on DL at 6'7" and also a former volleyball player he might be a nightmare for QBs to throw his way. I could see some passes swatted down.

Get some New Zealand Rugby Players/ or Australian Rules football

No doubt we need DTs, especially interior 1 technique types.

From the ONE clip I watched of Mang from the PSU camp he seems to have great hands and is very athletic (didn't know he was a volleyball "star" but speaks to the kind of athlete he is, I hope).
Here's hoping he can stick at TE. It would be great to have that kind of size at TE.
Forget TE. We have Hackett and Benson, with Mahar coming in. Chain this guy to a bench in Edinger's gym and plug him in at DT.

Hackett graduates next year
Mahar could end up being a WR
Benson is a pass catching TE
Might need a good blocking TE
Probably right (although Hackett is a junior and will be a senior next year). But we need size in the middle of the D-line like oxygen. This guy has long arms and (reportedly) unusual strength, so he could keep offensive linemen off him. Up to the staff ... but the need for a freak at DT can't be understated.

Last edited:
Reminds me of that tall tight end from Cincinnati that killed us when Marrone was coaching.

Cant remember his name.

On that note we need him more at DT if he can properly dedicate himself to the S&C program.
travis kelce? yeah, nah.

I love every big kid that gets recruited we should "put on the DL" even if it's not their best position.

This kid looks nothing like a DL in his tape. TE with the potential to grow into a OT.
I love every big kid that gets recruited we should "put on the DL" even if it's not their best position.

This kid looks nothing like a DL in his tape. TE with the potential to grow into a OT.
That's what happens when you don't recruit any DTs.

does anyone have a login to this article?
Interesting story about how he had to travel to get to PSU and his journey playing football before that. Appearently Franklin said he is looking to take about 30 kids but I thought that is against the rules isn’t it?

Interesting story about how he had to travel to get to PSU and his journey playing football before that. Appearently Franklin said he is looking to take about 30 kids but I thought that is against the rules isn’t it?
25 is the limit of the class per year. However, If they didn't take a full class the year before they can back date early enrollees, and early enrollees only, to that class. Example if PSU didn't take a full class in 2019, say they only took 23, 2 of the early enrollees from the 2020 class can be backdated to 2019.

The total cap for scholarships is 85.

Granted I’ve only seen a few clips of him catching passes in shorts, I didn’t think he looked very natural catching the ball. If he’s able to get his weight up and keep his quick feet I see him as a very athletic OT down the road.

Granted I’ve only seen a few clips of him catching passes in shorts, I didn’t think he looked very natural catching the ball. If he’s able to get his weight up and keep his quick feet I see him as a very athletic OT down the road.

I had the exact opposite thoughts after watching his tape, especially his camp tape. His hands looked excellent IMO, and I loved how he never let the ball get into his body.

I had the exact opposite thoughts after watching his tape, especially his camp tape. His hands looked excellent IMO, and I loved how he never let the ball get into his body.
^^This. If Mang really is as good as he looked on the ONE tape I saw, Dino will play him at TE

Not sure if we’re talking about the same tape and like I mentioned it was limited amount that I saw but it was more of how I thought he seemed awkward catching it. He caught all the ones that I saw and ofcourse used his hands but felt he looked like someone not used to running routes and catching at same time (like arms being too far extended). Either way just nitpicking as I’m sure he’ll get lots of reps that will improve technique wherever he starts.

That's what happens when you don't recruit any DTs.
No, that's what happens when people just assume that a big guy = can play DL.

Every player is recruited for a position. Some are good enough to play 2. Just because a guy played offense and defense in HS doesn't mean he's good at both positions.

But everyone's a scout on this board.

Wolff's, Danzers, Liehs and Steigerwald have a mission...thicken and mold the young Mang into an SU fotball player. Zum wolt, prost!
I’m German and no clue how to speak it

This young man has the potential to be fantastic in the Red Zone, especially from the 5 yard area and in. I want somebody that can go after a ball and seize it out of the air that won't be denied.

No, that's what happens when people just assume that a big guy = can play DL.

Every player is recruited for a position. Some are good enough to play 2. Just because a guy played offense and defense in HS doesn't mean he's good at both positions.

But everyone's a scout on this board.

I assume this was directed at me, since I asked the question a few pages back.

Has nothing to do with being a board scout -- and everything to do with him being listed initially as a TE / DE. So, as a DE with that frame, and given our track record -- it isn't easy to envision that he might be a guy who could bulk up and play inside.

Sounds like he is staying at TE, with an outside shot to shift to OT. We'll see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom