Class of 2024 - TE Elijah Washington (VA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/20/23) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 TE Elijah Washington (VA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/20/23)

I could be wrong about this, but I believe Ernie Davis may have been the first to play both football and basketball at SU. I saw him play against Penn St. in the Onondaga County War Memorial and he dominated!
Jim Brown was before him and I think Vic Hanson.

You are wrong about that.

Wilmeth Sidat-Singh played both at a high level in the late 1930s.

Vic Hanson was an AA in football and basketball at Syracuse circa 1925-1927

A bunch of others also played both sports in those days, though no one as well as Vic.
Jim brown.

Jim Brown played Lacrosse, not basketball.

Sutomcat already clarified Vic Hanson and Wilmeth Sidat-Singh.

IMG_8342.jpeg

I could be wrong about this, but I believe Ernie Davis may have been the first to play both football and basketball at SU. I saw him play against Penn St. in the Onondaga County War Memorial and he dominated!
Jim Brown, plus lacrosse and track

He's probably better than your typical walk on. Certainly bigger, at least. If he can handle it, why not?
Because FB coaches generally want their guys’ heads in the playbook all off season.

I’m all for it as a fan but I understand why it doesn’t happen often.

Because FB coaches generally want their guys’ heads in the playbook all off season.

I’m all for it as a fan but I understand why it doesn’t happen often.
Not disagreeing with that at all. That's why I had "if he can handle it" in there.

Boxing. Coach Simmons said if he could have got him in the ring he could have become the heavyweight champion.
I would imagine he would have been an absolute wrecking crew in the ring. Might have been good for him to channel some of his anger issues.

Jim played basketball except his senior year, because Guley wouldn't start 3 blacks. He wanted Jim to come off the bench, so he didn't play.
Unfortunately that's the way things were back then, even in the north. It was an unwritten rule, not that it was right, it wasn't.
If you go to the site orangehoops and the writeup about the 1956-57 season, Vinnie Cohen felt if Jim had played they would have won the NCAA tournament that year.

But if your rural PA but not western PA you may also use yous which is just as bad.

Not from a yous family or heard it much in this part of the state. However "ya know" is one of the most overused phrases here.