Class of 2015 - TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown

Treatment of kids in this fashion only serves to burn bridges with high school coaches and make us look second rate to other recruits and coaches. It shows little character.

Agree. Hope this isnt the case. Dont care what the big time schools do.

This board is mind numbing at times. Some of the same posters that want HCSS head on a platter due to a 3-9 season now get angry when he's trying to upgrade talent and provide a better team. Can't wrap my mind around that in a way that makes sense.

People commenting on general thoughts of the board is mind numbing.

Agree. Dont care what the big time schools do. This is classless and soul less. I want shafer fired for this if this is how he treats people. Not the 3-9 abortion of a season.

It appears that the PS story, if that's what you're basing your opinion on, isn't accurate. So might want to actually find out both sides of the story before you pass judgment.

Look folks we had a change in coordinators, it wouldn't be fair to bring this kid in if he didn't fit what the staff was trying to do. What's the point of bringing in someone who won't be able to see the field. As far as burning bridges we aren't talking about St. Thomas Acquinas or Don Bosco, it's a school from St Louis that SU would probably never have gotten another kid from. Lastly if this scholarship goes to Kelly or Crawford no one will be upset.

It appears that the PS story, if that's what you're basing your opinion on, isn't accurate. So might want to actually find out both sides of the story before you pass judgment.

I edited my post before for coming on too strong before you reaponded but my feelings are the same. If they do things like that, then i think its reprehensible. I qualified my statement w if.

Last edited:
People commenting on general thoughts of the board is mind numbing.

Translation please? Actually, don't bother. You were one of the ones I was referring to probably. Are you part of the burn HCSS at the stake crew? I'll guess yes.

You don't think there is a better way, like calling the kid, his parents and his coach and letting them know that there has been a "change in philosophy" and that limited scholarship numbers are forcing SU to move in a different direction? After similar stories from Robinson and Lindor it seems like SU has adopted the mantra: "If you commit to us then we commit to you...that is, unless we change our mind, in which case you will have to figure that out by those cricket sounds you will hear whenever you try to contact us."

Yeah right what would your way of cutting bait be? I suppose you have a better way.

Burning one bridge in St. Louis is no big whoop. We'll never recruit their again after his staff is gone and if Winfield has a productive career no one will ever remember us backing off.

2nd rate, more like 1st rate move in what's a business to better the program, but questioning character is premature since you have no idea what the facts are. If he's not qualified or something else be sure to come back and say you were wrong.

Translation please? Actually, don't bother. You were one of the ones I was referring to probably. Are you part of the burn HCSS at the stake crew? I'll guess yes.

I wasnt but id love you to point out the people you are referring to. Bet you wont. Your original comment is pointless Anyways.

You don't think there is a better way, like calling the kid, his parents and his coach and letting them know that there has been a "change in philosophy" and that limited scholarship numbers are forcing SU to move in a different direction? After similar stories from Robinson and Lindor it seems like SU has adopted the mantra: "If you commit to us then we commit to you...that is, unless we change our mind, in which case you will have to figure that out by those cricket sounds you will hear whenever you try to contact us."

How do you know that didn't happen? Again, it doesn't appear that the PS story is completely accurate based on some other information being reported.

Robinson and Lindor told essentially the same story about being ignored. I highly doubt they are colluding. If you have different information about how this went down please share it. I would love for there to be a credible version of what happened that didn't make the SU coaching staff seem like bumbling idiots and completely insensitive to the needs of prospective student athletes.

How do you know that didn't happen? Again, it doesn't appear that the PS story is completely accurate based on some other information being reported.

Well, thanks post standard. SI just picked up the story.

Robinson and Lindor told essentially the same story about being ignored. I highly doubt they are colluding. If you have different information about how this went down please share it. I would love for there to be a credible version of what happened that didn't make the SU coaching staff seem like bumbling idiots and completely insensitive to the needs of prospective student athletes.

pure speculation on my part, but i think youd be mistaken to think this was accidental.

Recruiting is not a fair process. This verbal commitment thing is just that…verbal. Recruits de-commit all the time. It is all smoke and mirrors until National signing day. I don't like how this was handled by Syracuse, if it is true that they did not speak to the kids. Knowing that this recruiting process can work like this, why do we get on here and crucify kids who de-commit on us? It seems like both parties are allowed to pull out and change their minds up until the signing on the dotted line. Very similar to the real world..No?

Well, thanks post standard. SI just picked up the story.

I just made the mistake of reading the comments under the tweet. I know it's not anything new, but it's always sad to see how poor our national perception is. We are basically the equivalent of Indiana, Purdue, Kansas, and the rest of the dregs of major college football.

I just made the mistake of reading the comments under the tweet. I know it's not anything new, but it's always sad to see how poor our national perception is. We are basically the equivalent of Indiana, Purdue, Kansas, and the rest of the dregs of major college football.

We went 3-9. We are. It's a sobering truth unfortunately, regardless of how we perceive ourselves. You lose, nationally that's how you're going to be seen in the short-term anyway.

We went 3-9. We are. It's a sobering truth unfortunately, regardless of how we perceive ourselves. You lose, nationally that's how you're going to be seen in the short-term anyway.

Trust me my perception isn't much better. It's one of those things where you can say stuff about a family member, but if anyone else does you get pizzed. Just frustrating that it's come to this.

This board is mind numbing at times. Some of the same posters that want HCSS head on a platter due to a 3-9 season now get angry when he's trying to upgrade talent and provide a better team. Can't wrap my mind around that in a way that makes sense.
and the posters who venerate Shafer for his impeccable character and the fact that he loves the kids look the other way and and justify the scumbag way to treat a kid who gave his commitment.

Hey! It's fun to play with board generalizations!

Besides, everyone is a hypocrite. You just need to wait long enough.

I just don't get this staff, I root for them and will continue to root for them but they seem to be all talk which is scaring me.

Every time there is a story about a commitment there is that line that basically states.. verbal commitments are non binding until an LOI is signed. A signed contract. Until that contract is signed both parties have the ability to nullify that verbal agreement. Until the kid signs the LOI and officially joins the program the coaches/school have no responsibility/allegiance to the recruit yet this staff has stayed loyal to the commitment of Dawson and Perkins when they could have walked away.

Recruiting is a business. It is all about numbers, back up plans and "insurance". These coaches put a lot of time, travel and effort into recruiting kids that they feel will make the program successful so that you the fan will be happy. They are at the mercy of 17/18 year olds who can commit one day and flip to another school the next. Then when a decommitment story like this comes out they are restricted from commenting on it by NCAA rules. So everyone only hears the story from the "jilted lover". I am sorry for Lindor but if the staff truly was not in contact with him for months where the Hell was his HS coach or counselors. You would think they would have figured things out before now.

Phat, you have to admit that this seems unsavory. I was skeptical of the commitment at the time, but I feel that it is incumbent upon the coaching staff to not string a kid along [which contrary to your post above, is exactly what they did]. Man up and tell him that he no longer has an offer and move on--that's all it would take.

Happens in recruiting all the time. Kids commit and get recruited over, and the coaches have to let them down / inform them that the program is going in another direction. At least now he's got 2+ months to look elsewhere, and isn't getting blindsided close to signing day where his options would be more limited.

But to not respond to a kid or return communications is bush. Grow a pair and tell the kid the bad news. Sucks for the kid, but at least then there would be no uncertainty. Since they accepted a verbal commitment, and we're talking about a kid's future, they owe him the courtesy of telling him that he needs to explore other options.

And for the record, I'm not criticizing the coaching staff for moving on. I'd much rather have a player like Tears than Lindor.

Phat, you have to admit that this seems unsavory. I was skeptical of the commitment at the time, but I feel that it is incumbent upon the coaching staff to not string a kid along [which contrary to your post above, is exactly what they did]. Man up and tell him that he no longer has an offer and move on--that's all it would take.

Happens in recruiting all the time. Kids commit and get recruited over, and the coaches have to let them down / inform them that the program is going in another direction. At least now he's got 2+ months to look elsewhere, and isn't getting blindsided close to signing day where his options would be more limited.

But to not respond to a kid or return communications is bush. Grow a pair and tell the kid the bad news. Sucks for the kid, but at least then there would be no uncertainty. Since they accepted a verbal commitment, and we're talking about a kid's future, they owe him the courtesy of telling him that he needs to explore other options.

And for the record, I'm not criticizing the coaching staff for moving on. I'd much rather have a player like Tears than Lindor.

A poster above states that the staff did contact him.