Team collapsed | Syracusefan.com

Team collapsed

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
Refs stunk, but louisville's pressure d exposed our pressure point. We fell down like dominoes. Missed ft's , sloppy turnovers killed us more than the refs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to think that an aggressive press and a fatigued Syracuse basketball team had something to do with that collapse.

To me we looked gassed by the middle of the 2nd half. I might be rationalizing?

No...

When the refs let the other team get away with 4 out of every 5 fouls, you can't win.

Syracuse did get rattled, but it was only out of shear frustration.

In order to beat the LV press you have to pass the ball. I think that JB did a poor job tonight. First you do not have one of your guards inbound the ball against the LV press as you need them on the wings. Second you need to flash size to the middle. Ok Baye doesnt have good hands but CJ could have been used in this situation or possibly Christmas. The job is simple get to a high foul line position and catch the ball keep the ball high and pivot without a dribble towards half court. If we could have made that pass consistantly we could have broken their press. Handing the ball off from one guard to another close to the baseline or sideline is exactly what LV wanted. Now granted MCW has a good handle and the refs completely took the game away from him by allowing him to be mugged still you beat LV by passing the ball against the press not trying to break it with the dribble. BT doesnt have a good handle at all and makes poor decisions when pressured. This one is on the refs and also on JB for not changing up our approach to beating their pressure

Even LVille fans that have posted over here tell us that we've handled their press better than most teams so im taking last night as the exception to the rule. We DOMINATED them until Southerland got his 4th. I'm sorry, I like Grant and hes gonna be a player but he was a complete liability out there. On defense he had a couple big defensive lapses that all resulted in points, he got outrebounded on a couple 50/50 rebounds that James gets and on offense he gives us zero spacing and against a ramped up elite pressure defense, hes not a scoring option. The game changed on his head when James went out, LVille saw their chance to get back into the game, ramped up the presure and dared the refs to call a foul on every play. It worked because they knew we couldnt burn them if we beat their ball pressure without James in the game. Once James came back in we were only up 1 and we were mentally and physically fatigued. We played 3 games with two of them against physical top teams including an OT win over a top 5 team the night before while Ville played 2 games against a cupcake and a meh ND team.

Even LVille fans that have posted over here tell us that we've handled their press better than most teams so im taking last night as the exception to the rule. We DOMINATED them until Southerland got his 4th. I'm sorry, I like Grant and hes gonna be a player but he was a complete liability out there. On defense he had a couple big defensive lapses that all resulted in points, he got outrebounded on a couple 50/50 rebounds that James gets and on offense he gives us zero spacing and against a ramped up elite pressure defense, hes not a scoring option. The game changed on his head when James went out, LVille saw their chance to get back into the game, ramped up the presure and dared the refs to call a foul on every play. It worked because they knew we couldnt burn them if we beat their ball pressure without James in the game. Once James came back in we were only up 1 and we were mentally and physically fatigued. We played 3 games with two of them against physical top teams including an OT win over a top 5 team the night before while Ville played 2 games against a cupcake and a meh ND team.

Yep.

It was unreal the difference when James went out.

MCW was very physically fatigued. There was 1 point he was at the line (mind you he was pretty much 0fer at this point) down 6 or 7. And he is having an argument with a lville player and the ref. WIth the ball in his hand he is whining to the ref. He made 1/2 that trip. But that play summed up the rest of the game for me. He was worried about all the outside factors and couldnt even concentrate on his 2 ft's.

I don't think it's a coincidence that L'ville has been so successful in the BET. Playing that style against teams that have played tough physical games on multiple consecutive days gives them a huge advantage. We had a about as hard a road to get there as you could imagine - I'm more surprised that we got up by 16 than that we collapsed from exhaustion.

That said, the refs sure didn't do us any favors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom