Teams I wouldn't mind seeing winning it all | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Teams I wouldn't mind seeing winning it all

I watched maybe five minutes of the last Dook-UNC game. Don’t need to watch K get slurped
No need to worry this Duke team isn’t good enough defensively.
I see them losing second round or sweet sixteen.
They actually need to play zone their they have only 3 good defenders Moore, Keels and Williams/John.
Their wings will get killed on defense in man to man against an athletic team.

Ten years ago Davidson had a local kid start at center for four years and I have been following and watching them whenever I can since. I just like the way they play, the right way. Bob McKillop is the best coach many have never heard of.
McKillop is really good. Not easy for Davidson to jump from the Southern Conference up to the Atlantic 10 and not really miss a beat.

No blue bloods. No “next tier” (Mich State, Zona, etc.). No ACC. No Big East(except harmless Providence). No shady SEC programs. No teams with coaches that are always on the court in the middle of play. No teams who center their defensive strategy around taking a charge.
Looks like you've eliminated 80% of the field.

I like Dayton , Anthony Grant is a super cool guy. Totally focused all the time. If they get at at large, they could do something.

Last edited:
Ten years ago Davidson had a local kid start at center for four years and I have been following and watching them whenever I can since. I just like the way they play, the right way. Bob McKillop is the best coach many have never heard of.
If you haven’t heard of Mckillop you probably don’t follow college basketball

Looks like you've eliminated 80% of the field.
That's what I do almost every year. I have (not always rational) reasons to dislike a large percentage of the teams that have a realistic chance of winning the title.

teams i dont want -
duke, kentucky, uconn, michgan state, auburn, gonzaga, villanova, tenn, houston, kansas, lsu, memphis, oregon, washington, rutgers, seton hall

1. Gonzaga (sort of) - This one is a bit more difficult for me this year. Gonzaga is my second favourite team (about a 95% gap from Syracuse mind you). Few always seemed like a good guy that has ran a great program with American and International recruit... a legacy of many Canadians.

But then he had the DUI incident earlier this year and that really bothered me. His punishment was not appropriate. I don't think he should have been cancelled either, just a much bigger punishment. That being said I will probably cheer for them... depending on #2.

2. Teams I bet on to win (group of 10). The last number of years I tend to make a handful of selections based on teams whose odds are not keeping up with their KP ranking. Rather smallish, bets payoff between $500-$600 if the teams win. This strategy of looking at early KP odds (about 8-10 games into the year) typically ends up with some good value bets. I did a calculation the other day -- My selection of teams this year ended up coming at odds of +231 to win... if I bet on them all today to win I would be getting odds of +115, so overall there was good timing I think.

On December 8 I chose the following based on what seemed good value per KP
Auburn 60-1, now 16-1
Baylor 16-1, now 12-1
Arizona 20-1, 6-1
Tennessee 70-1. 22-1
USC 55-1, 80-1
BYU 100-1 , 150-1

For some reason early in the year I really liked Purdue as well. Usually don't take teams at 10-1, nor were they any great value at those odds compared to the others. But I liked them at 10-1, and they are now 13-1. So that bet was my most expensive and did not pay off.
Purdue 10-1

Usually like to have about 10 teams in my group -- I ended up adding 4 teams around February 20th largely based on those that appeared to have KP value or projected seeding value. Iowa a few weeks back at 100-1, San Francisco 150-1, Wisconsin 80-1. Iowa and Wisconsin are now up to 50-1. I later added Providence 80-1 and yesterday Texas A&M at 100-1

Who I do not want to win
1. Duke and its not even close.
2. UConn
3. Kentucky, Kansas, UNC
4. Will typically cheer against BIG schools.

1. Gonzaga (sort of) - This one is a bit more difficult for me this year. Gonzaga is my second favourite team (about a 95% gap from Syracuse mind you). Few always seemed like a good guy that has ran a great program with American and International recruit... a legacy of many Canadians.

But then he had the DUI incident earlier this year and that really bothered me. His punishment was not appropriate. I don't think he should have been cancelled either, just a much bigger punishment. That being said I will probably cheer for them... depending on #2.

2. Teams I bet on to win (group of 10). The last number of years I tend to make a handful of selections based on teams whose odds are not keeping up with their KP ranking. Rather smallish, bets payoff between $500-$600 if the teams win. This strategy of looking at early KP odds (about 8-10 games into the year) typically ends up with some good value bets. I did a calculation the other day -- My selection of teams this year ended up coming at odds of +231 to win... if I bet on them all today to win I would be getting odds of +115, so overall there was good timing I think.

Auburn 60-1, now 16-1
Baylor 16-1, now 12-1
Arizona 20-1, 6-1
Tennessee 70-1. 22-1
USC 55-1, 80-1
BYU 100-1 , 150-1

For some reason early in the year I really liked Purdue as well. Usually don't take teams at 10-1, nor were they any great value at those odds compared to the others. But I liked them at 10-1, and they are now 13-1. So that bet was my most expensive and did not pay off.
Purdue 10-1

Usually like to have about 10 teams in my group -- I ended up adding 4 teams around February 20th largely based on those that appeared to have KP value or projected seeding value. Iowa a few weeks back at 100-1, San Francisco 150-1, Wisconsin 80-1. Iowa and Wisconsin are now up to 50-1. I later added Providence 80-1 and yesterday Texas A&M at 100-1

Who I do not want to win
2. UConn
3. Kentucky, Kansas, UNC

Problem when you pick teams before the tournament.
No balance

In the west I have Nobody.
In the South I have the #1 seed, #3 seed and #9 seed.
In the East I have the #1 seed and the #10 seed
In the Midwest I have the #2, #3, #4, #5 and the #7 seed. One of them better take down Kansas!

Good news is that for some reason I just noticed I was was absent minded yesterday and chose TCU instead of Texas A&M - they had the same odds.

since we’re out id love to see all 68 teams lose in the first round. No winner.

Auburn 60-1, now 16-1
Baylor 16-1, now 12-1
Arizona 20-1, 6-1
Tennessee 70-1. 22-1
USC 55-1, 80-1
BYU 100-1 , 150-1

Purdue 10-1

Who I do not want to win
2. UConn
3. Kentucky, Kansas, UNC
Great post. Although gun to head, I'll take Duke winning it all over UCONN. They are so 1a and 1b with my disdain.

I don't want to see any SEC and B1G school. Also not schools in Northeast competing with us, especially UConn, Villanova, Buffalo and Rutgers. Also schools that have won too much, UCLA, Kansas, Oregon and Arizona.
Anyone else will be fine to see winning the championship.

Teams that wouldn't bother me: Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas.

I want a deserving champ so that eliminates the long shots. I don't want a school to get a leg up all time vs SU by winning a title or another title. That eliminates most of the P5/Big East. I don't want teams that are unlikable, which eliminates everyone else.

Wisconsin . . . but I do not think this will be their year. I am not confident they will even get to the second weekend.

Back in the Spring of 1995, I had just committed to attending Syracuse University. The first Syracuse sporting event I watched, with the passion of a fan, was the NCAA Tournament that year.

The way that Arkansas game ended...really was a clear shot across the bow as to what being a Cuse fan would be like :)

Anyway, my son, this year, is me in 1995. He will be attending the University of Arizona in the Fall, and its the first time I am getting to see HIM passionate about HIS school.

They are my rooting interest, and thanks to Syracuse's ineptitude, my only rooting interest, for this Tournament.

Here's hoping his first ride ends better than mine did in 1995.

I don't think the NCAA will let Kansas, Arizona, Auburn or LSU get the the Final Four this year due to their off court issues. Would be bad PR for NCAA if a couple of the Final Four teams were currently being investigated for cheating.

Look for some type of a Syracuse/Ohio St. ref job if they get too close the the Final Four.

I don't think the NCAA will let Kansas, Arizona, Auburn or LSU get the the Final Four this year due to their off court issues. Would be bad PR for NCAA if a couple of the Final Four teams were currently being investigated for cheating.

Look for some type of a Syracuse/Ohio St. ref job if they get too close the the Final Four.
You and CousCuse should get together. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom