Temple ranked #22 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Temple ranked #22

it is almost unreal that it has been more than a decade since we have been relevant.shades of the 70s to mid 80's. why does it take us so long???i agree that recruiting is trending up, but hcss needs to trend up. i am in his camp, and feel we need to extend him, as i have said before. he really needs to be less emotional during the games as i feel he loses focus on the big picture, and then makes bogus mistakes, like clock management. i hope lester throws more down field but i do see that dungey runs for his life half the time. i wish they would use strickland more.

Thank you.
I thought I learned years ago to not post unless I have finished my first cup.

They start 1 sophomore on Offense and 1 on Defense.

They Start 6 Sr and 2 RS Jr on Defense - 72% have played for 4+ years
They Start 2 Sr, 3 RS Sr and 2 RS Jr. on Offense - 63% have played for 4+ years

This is not rocket science folks. Addazio and Golden Recruited well. Rhule is reaping benefits. Call me in 5 years when his recruits have "taken over this roster". Marrone didn't leave behind what they did. Lets just say I believe that if Shafer is given 1-3 more years. This post will be a Syracuse topic. IMO

Last edited:
Penn State
Cincinnati
UMass
Charlotte
Tulane
Central Florida

*voters don't care who you've played only that you win. Perception is everything.

Much better wins than we have.

This is not rocket science folks. Addazio and Golden Recruited well. Rhule is reaping benefits. Call me in 5 years when his recruits have "taken over this roster". Marrone didn't leave behind what they did. Lets just say I believe that if Shafer is given 1-3 more years. This post will be a Syracuse topic. IMO

I dont really understand this logic. HCSS has been with FHCDM since the beginning of his tenure at SU. HCSS was a big [part of recruiting while he was the DC. Why is everyone giving him a pass for HCDM supposedly leaving the cupboard bare? Didnt HCSS recruit everyone that is on our defense right now?

Much better wins than we have.

we'd anywhere from 5-2 to 7-0 with the same schedule.

Temple is a solid team this year but lets not kid ourselves. They are ranked on a REALLY weak schedule. One P5 team.

Penn State - (5-2 wins over UB, Rutgers, San Diego St, Army, Indiana)

Cincinnati - (3-3 wins over Alabama A&M, Miami OH, Miami FL)

UMass - (1 -4 wins over FIU)

Charlotte - (2-4 wins over Georgia St, Presbyterian)

Tulane - (2-4 wins over Maine, Central Florida)

Central Florida - (0-7)

East Carolina - (4-4 wins over Towson, VT, SMU, Tulsa)

Strength of Schedule rank = #104

Syracuse strength of schedule = #68

Temple is a solid team this year but lets not kid ourselves. They are ranked on a REALLY weak schedule. One P5 team.

Central Florida - (0-7)

Dont think the AP/Coaches voters or College Gameday care. They are 7-0, and playing ND in primetime. PERCEPTION !!!!! Momentum!!!!!

Dont think the AP/Coaches voters or College Gameday care. They are 7-0, and playing ND in primetime. PERCEPTION !!!!! Momentum!!!!!

and recruits. do you think recruits care the schedule strength is 104 ?

the only thing this board would be talking about is 'fools gold', and how we're not that good. complete opposite when talking about another team. they're so good. I'm not buying, we'll see how they do on the back half of their schedule with ND, South Florida, Memphis.

Central Florida - (0-7)

I don't think 104 to 68 equates to 3-4 more wins and being undefeated. I can buy 2 and a 5-2 record (or 4-2/5-1 for us right now), but give credit where credit is due. Temple is pretty good. And would most likely beat us right now.

orangeinjersey said:
I dont really understand this logic. HCSS has been with FHCDM since the beginning of his tenure at SU. HCSS was a big [part of recruiting while he was the DC. Why is everyone giving him a pass for HCDM supposedly leaving the cupboard bare? Didnt HCSS recruit everyone that is on our defense right now?

Yep. And until this year, we've been pretty consistent on D since Shafer got here.

#1. Our defense was ranked #27 in the country last year man. That's with our struggles on offense. Its not like they have stunk all along and this year they are just young.
#2. That's not how recruiting works . Shafer as a DC had to get guys that Marrone wanted. Not the other way around.
#3. Marrone took the entire offensive staff and system with him. While Shafer had to roll the dice on a recruiter since that was our biggest problem once Marrone left. It didn't work. Now they are on a new system with a new OC.

No one is saying its a pass and Im getting more and more irritated with the "fans" that think reasons are excuses. it takes time to start over unless a coach is given losts of good older players to work with.

For the record Matt Rhule is 13-16 in his tenure as coach. Shafer is 13-18. and that's not including 3 years of ACC football that includes FSU and Clemson each year. With at least #8 LSU and #8 Notre Dame out of conference.

Rhule was 2-10 2013 and 6-6 in 2014 - Not exactly an immediate game changer.

I don't think 104 to 68 equates to 3-4 more wins and being undefeated. I can buy 2 and a 5-2 record (or 4-2/5-1 for us right now), but give credit where credit is due. Temple is pretty good. And would most likely beat us right now.

Likely since they are significantly older and more experienced. But I bet it would be close at the end.

orangeinjersey said:

Agree. Wish we had a weaker schedule - then we'd be reaping the same benefits.

It would make firing Shafer pretty tough too.

IMO we'd beat them.

Hey if they hang with ND I'll give them credit for a 'moral' victory. i know how much weight those carry around here.

He's the HC of freaking TEMPLE. TEMPLE!!!! Golden's last class would be 5th year seniors, which would the class that came in between the transition of Golden to Addazio. Are you really still crediting Golden? Dude can coach.

HeaterCuse22 said:
#1. Our defense was ranked #27 in the country last year man. That's with our struggles on offense. Its not like they have stunk all along and this year they are just young. #2. That's not how recruiting works . Shafer as a DC had to get guys that Marrone wanted. Not the other way around. #3. Marrone took the entire offensive staff and system with him. While Shafer had to roll the dice on a recruiter since that was our biggest problem once Marrone left. It didn't work. Now they are on a new system with a new OC. No one is saying its a pass and Im getting more and more irritated with the "fans" that think reasons are excuses. it takes time to start over unless a coach is given losts of good older players to work with. For the record Matt Rhule is 13-16 in his tenure as coach. Shafer is 13-18. and that's not including 3 years of ACC football that includes FSU and Clemson each year. With at least #8 LSU and #8 Notre Dame out of conference. Rhule was 2-10 2013 and 6-6 in 2014 - Not exactly an immediate game changer.

Wait. It wasn't a total rebuild!?

Agree. Wish we had a weaker schedule - then we'd be reaping the same benefits.

It would make firing Shafer pretty tough too.

Cmon. The real question is what would Temple record be against our schedule. 4-2?

He's the HC of freaking TEMPLE. TEMPLE!!!! Golden's last class would be 5th year seniors, which would the class that came in between the transition of Golden to Addazio. Are you really still crediting Golden? Dude can coach.

I am not saying he cant coach. Im sure hes a fine coach.

Its who they play IB step back. Do I think Rhule could coach here and have success in 1- 2 years Im sure. But I am certain so will shafer. The kids will be more experienced.

Likely since they are significantly older and more experienced. But I bet it would be close at the end.

So you're saying that experience and experience alone makes you better? Please explain our offensive line, then, who starts two redshirt juniors and three redshirt seniors and has been a detriment to the team this year.

Also, Temple's recruiting has consistently been below ours, according to the S... page. Inexact science, but usually a pretty good indicator. Not sure what the X factor is... but I have a pretty good idea.

2015 Recruiting Rankings (Fr)
50. Syracuse
95. Temple

2014 Recruiting Rankings (So/RFr)
53. Syracuse
74. Temple

2013 Recruiting Rankings (Jr/RSo)
73. Syracuse
87. Temple

2012 Recruiting Rankings (Sr/RJr)
54. Syracuse
55. Temple

2011 Recruiting Rankings (RSr)
51. Syracuse
T97. Temple

So you're saying that experience and experience alone makes you better? Please explain our offensive line, then, who starts two redshirt juniors and three redshirt seniors and has been a detriment to the team this year.

Also, Temple's recruiting has consistently been below ours, according to the S... page. Inexact science, but usually a pretty good indicator. Not sure what the X factor is... but I have a pretty good idea.

50. Syracuse
95. Temple

53. Syracuse
74. Temple

73. Syracuse
87. Temple

54. Syracuse
55. Temple

51. Syracuse
T97. Temple

Not even close to a good indicator. I also don't buy in that the O line is as huge of a problem as some make it out to be. Not saying its a great line.

Then please explain our offensive line. I'll hang up and wait for your thoughts. Thanks.

Our offensive line is protecting for a Fr QB that moves in an instant. They are plugging different lanes as they are in a new system. The Sr.'s the third system in their career. for starters. Plus I will say the Sr. offensive line that Shafer had nothing to do with recruiting has about lived up to their ability. Nick Robinson? Love the guy, but hes maxed out.

Edit. I will also say that when the QB makes the throing play that's called he is averaging a very high number of YPC and also the offense as a total is actually doing not bad in YPP per Millhouse research.

50. Syracuse
95. Temple

53. Syracuse
74. Temple

73. Syracuse
87. Temple

54. Syracuse
55. Temple

51. Syracuse
T97. Temple

I am just going to assume also that you never played sports at a high level against anyone that spanned large age groups as in college or junior hockey. If you are going to tell me you don't think it matters that a kid at 18 is different than a man at 23 - I just don't know what to say.

PS Sorry for so many responses to one thread LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom