Tennessee Postgame Luau | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Tennessee Postgame Luau

this team has a bunch of mediocre players and not enough good players.
We have no post players. That’s our biggest problem. No one plays in the paint and wants the ball. Brown just runs around on offense and is not a threat. He can’t shoot or post up. Benny also just floats around on the perimeter. Scoring and rebounding is going to be problem I don’t think we can solve. Did McCloud get three rebounds today? I don’t think Benny or Brown got three either. Taylor is the closest thing we have as a rebounder and he should be a two guard.

Sorry we couldn’t go from a .500 team to a top 10 quality team in 1 offseason.
"good" is one of the last words I would use to describe that game

there were some good aspects of the play...and some encouraging signs...

but it wasn't "good"

that wasnt "Syracuse basketball" for me...wasn;t good.

a lot of effort...but not good.

i have an issue with using the word good to describe that.

We have no post players. That’s our biggest problem. No one plays in the paint and wants the ball. Brown just runs around on offense and is not a threat. He can’t shoot or post up. Benny also just floats around on the perimeter. Scoring and rebounding is going to be problem I don’t think we can solve. Did McCloud get three rebounds today? I don’t think Benny or Brown got three either. Taylor is the closest thing we have as a rebounder and he should be a two guard.

brown should not be the first player mentioned when discussing the problems on this team.

I agree on the zone thing, but Red deciding to play it 5 minutes a game is at the bottom of the list of problems.
Agree to disagree.
It's a correctable issue unlike the "OFFENSE NEEDS TO BE BETTER" type takes.

A few observations in no particular order:

Justin Taylor does need to be more involved in offense.
He finally got a good 3 point look down the stretch and missed horribly.
That may have been the beginning of the end.
But he played some good D and hit the glass.

Doesn't matter how the other team shoots free throws...this Orange team cannot afford to leave any points at the line.
Poor FT shooting hurt badly.

Early success from 3 kept the Orange in it.
Later failure from 3 did the opposite.

When Tennessee turned up their defense later in the first half and forced the Orange outside...there was no one to press the issue with Mintz on the bench.
The Orange need him on the floor.
Period.

Looks like this will be another season with an out of position player (Brown) manning the 5 much of the time.

The zone may be a good tactical weapon to confuse an opponent in spots.
But when you have an opponent who beats it easily right away...get out of it.
Had this been another year of sticking with the zone no matter what,,, this could have been a 30 point loss or worse.

Can't recall seeing this many players get on the court for the Orange since pre-Boeheim days.

It’s not the same offense. We are playing 4 out. And we aren’t likely to ever play a stereotypical power forward with Red as coach. The was the number 4 defensive team according to KenPom and it was still a close game. I can’t believe some of you guys are this discouraged after what we saw the past two seasons.

Losing by 1, 2, 3 or 4 is a close game...

We lost by 17.

A quick observation, we need to involve Taylor early in the offense. He rebounded awesome, but he needs shots. Need a second shooter on this squad besides Bell.
He had a wide open 3 and shot an air ball, missed 2 other open threes. Needs to make a few

Outrebounded by 15
UT made 12 more FTs than SU
Shooting 20 3 pointers against that D was an odd choice, and only hitting 30% of those was unfortunate
8 turnovers between Mintz and Starling, our primary ball handlers
Taylor going 0-4 doesn't help

Scoring Balance
  • UT: 6 people with 6 or more points
  • SU: 4 people with 6 or more points
Somewhat Alternating Top Scorers
  1. 17 - Knecht | 0-17
  2. 16 - Bell (SU) | 16-17
  3. 15 - James | 16 - 32
  4. 15 - Mintz (SU) | 31-32
  5. 14 - Aidoo | 31-46
  6. 9 - Starling (SU) | 40-46
  7. 9 - Zeigler | 40-55
  8. 8 - Williams (SU) | 48-55
  9. 8 - Mashack | 48-63
  10. 6 - Vescovi | 48-69
  11. 4 - Brown (SU) 52-69
  12. 3 - Cuffe (SU) | 55-69
  13. 2 - Gainey | 55-71
  14. 2 - Estrella | 55-73
  15. 1 - McLeod (SU) | 56-73

Judah 1-1. It's not ideal. But it's what we got right now.

I would like to see it change, but I dont see it happening.
it better change or hes gonna 1 on 1 himself out of any chance at all at the NBA

2 assists and 4 turnovers

0-12 as a team down the stretch

he isnt playing like a leader

he's playing like its the NBA combine

Great loss. Played toe-to-toe with the #7 team in the country for most of the game. Lots to be encouraged about. Though they obviously didn't put it all together, you can see the building blocks of what could be a winning season.

Offensively, Bell is coming into his own. You can see his confidence growing and it's great to see him diversify his game by not hesitating to put it on the floor and drive.

McCloud showed some defensive utility today. Blocked a few shots, altered a few others and grabbed a few boards. Not sure you can expect much more from him at this stage of his development. Love that he even tried to put it on floor and drive to the cup - got fouled too! Lol

Benny played with some juice - a good sign. JJ didn't shoot well but I think a breakout game is coming soon. It looks like he's still trying find his place and footing on the team. I think once he finds his comfort zone, he'll score more efficiently - rebounding well, though. Like Judah, his game has "streaky" written all over it but unlike with Mintz, we haven't seen the good side of JJ's streaky - yet. I believe we will soon though. Hopefully during this tournament. Judah didn't play well but Judah's a baller - not worried about him. He'll improve.

This is just the type of loss a young team needs - a punch in the mouth by one of the big boys that stings - but then you realize you took that punch and it didn't kill you. Imho, this is the type of "good" loss that ultimately builds team and staff confidence.

Outrebounded by 15
UT made 12 more FTs than SU
Shooting 20 3 pointers against that D was an odd choice, and only hitting 30% of those was unfortunate
8 turnovers between Mintz and Starling, our primary ball handlers
Taylor going 0-4 doesn't help

Scoring Balance
  • UT: 6 people with 6 or more points
  • SU: 4 people with 6 or more points
Somewhat Alternating Top Scorers
  1. 17 - Knecht | 0-17
  2. 16 - Bell (SU) | 16-17
  3. 15 - James | 16 - 32
  4. 15 - Mintz (SU) | 31-32
  5. 14 - Aidoo | 31-46
  6. 9 - Starling (SU) | 40-46
  7. 9 - Zeigler | 40-55
  8. 8 - Williams (SU) | 48-55
  9. 8 - Mashack | 48-63
  10. 6 - Vescovi | 48-69
  11. 4 - Brown (SU) 52-69
  12. 3 - Cuffe (SU) | 55-69
  13. 2 - Gainey | 55-71
  14. 2 - Estrella | 55-73
  15. 1 - McLeod (SU) | 56-73
How does Taylor only get four shots?

He had a wide open 3 and shot an air ball, missed 2 other open threes. Needs to make a few
He’s still a good shooter, maybe our best. One rimmed out. We have two shooters on this team, you need them both to shoot when there is an opportunity.

How does Taylor only get four shots?
Everyone seemed tentative against that D.
Need to practice against it to succeed against it.
His form is weird, and his shots missed badly as I recall. Really need him to step up.

Kinda wish Benny stayed aggressive. Nice start for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom