Terrence Clarke killed in car accident | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Terrence Clarke killed in car accident

Man to make it out of Dorchester and be months away from the league. Life is brutal

my son played against his brother and was truly bummed about this. He was a legend in the Boston area. Brad Stevens even commented on it last night b/c his son looked up to him.

The accident was gruesome and online. Please everyone wear a seatbelt correctly and drive safely. He did neither and it cost him a life ahead of him

Horrible news. Such a tragedy to be so close to your life’s goal and this happens.

Total speculation on my part, but with his buddy behind him, you have to wonder if they were goofing around and racing each other and he just lost control. Will be having a long talk with my 17 year old to remind him of the dangers of situations like that.

Absolutely heartbreaking. Had his whole live ahead of him. RIP.

Please, wear your seatbelts and drive carefully everyone. Its just not worth it not to. So sad.
This just makes me wonder if "Cell Phone" focus played a roll. It is so sad when ANY young person passes. My heart goes out to all his family, friends and entire Kentucky program.

So sad. He didn't have the year many expected as one of the most hyped prospects in his class, but he was clearly very talented and had a bright future ahead. I remember watching a video of him playing against Melo in a pickup game and appearing to more than hold his own. Can't fathom what it's like to be his family and BJ Boston right now.

Horrible news. Such a tragedy to be so close to your life’s goal and this happens.

Total speculation on my part, but with his buddy behind him, you have to wonder if they were goofing around and racing each other and he just lost control. Will be having a long talk with my 17 year old to remind him of the dangers of situations like that.

Based on the high rate of speed comment I would expect as much. Two buddies with fast cars not experienced enough to take those risks. With the early money that has come in go to a track where it's meant for that. There are tons in CA.

I saw the video. It looks like clarke was trying to make a red light and a car going the opposite way was turning left to clear the intersection. I think clarke was late to the intersection and the car started to turn, it clipped clarke’s car just enough to send him into the pole that holds up the traffic light. If clarke was a split second earlier or later, he might have survived.

I dont think this was goofing around but careless driving. I dont know what the speed limit is but those poles are obviously very solid and don’t budge. He went from going to whatever speed he was traveling to 0 instantly.

one thing to note, the length of yellow lights seems to differ depending on the area. He couldve been caught in one of those awkward situations where you just arent sure youll make it, causing him to speed up. Ive done it before because of those stupid red light cameras.

Last edited:
I saw the video. It looks like clarke was trying to make a red light and a car going the opposite way was turning left to clear the intersection. I think clarke was late to the intersection and the car started to turn, it clipped clarke’s car just enough to send him into the pole that holds up the traffic light. If clarke was a split second earlier or later, he might have survived.

I dont think this was goofing around but careless driving. I dont know what the speed limit is but those poles are obviously very solid and don’t budge. He went from going to whatever speed he was traveling to 0 instantly.

one thing to note, the length of yellow lights seems to differ depending on the area. He couldve been caught in one of those awkward situations where you just arent sure youll make it, causing him to speed up. Ive done it before because of those stupid red light cameras.

I totally agree about the red light cameras and the differing yellow lights. It makes it very hard to judge timing. I have sped up too to beat red lights.

Brutal video.

Pickup truck that was attempting to make the left hand turn has the responsibility to yield the right of way. It appears that the driver of the pickup truck in its failure to do so, will likely bear the brunt of the liability as it no doubt was the proximate cause of the collision as it clipped the deceased occupant's vehicle with its front end.

California, as is NY state, is a pure comparative negligence state.

Brutal video.

Pickup truck that was attempting to make the left hand turn has the responsibility to yield the right of way. It appears that the driver of the pickup truck in its failure to do so, will likely bear the brunt of the liability as it no doubt was the proximate cause of the collision as it clipped the deceased occupant's vehicle with its front end.

I don't know if it is true but I read he was going 80 mph in a 45 mph zone.

Brutal video.

i read one article that said Clarke ran a red light. Does that change liability? Sad either way.

i read one article that said Clarke ran a red light. Does that change liability? Sad either way.

speed and running a red light would absolutely be a defense; pure comparative means jury apportions the liability between parties, if someone is 90% at fault, he or she can still get 10% of damages; in some states, you are barred if you are found 50% or more at fault.

hard to say who is majority at fault. Lots of unknown facts. Speed, whether light was red, how long, whether truck driver had an arrow, etc. argument is the truck driver shouldve been sure the path was clear before turning but doesnt mean other ppl can blow through red lights at excessive speeds.

In some states not wearing seatbelt is a defense but you’d have to prove that person wouldnt have died if wearing seatbelt.

fyi, i dont see anything criminal in how the truck driver acted. Doubt thered be charges other than a traffic violation at most.

Last edited:
Obviously any young kid dying is a tragedy, but has this one hit anyone any harder than you expected? It has for me and I've been amazed how much it seems to have personally affected so many in the basketball world.

Yes.

As JGeorge mentioned, if he did run the red light, and speed was a factor, it certainly will be a defense. There are a lot of unknown facts as JGeorge also mentioned, however, a picture paints a thousand words...in this case an actual video.

No matter the speed, and whether the light turned red, the pickup truck was sitting waiting to turn...deep in to the intersection at that. That tells me two things, he didn't have an arrow as he was waiting, and yielding the obligatory right of way, and second, he possibly was too deep into it to even be able to see the traffic light above changing, etc. So, if Clark ran the red light, it's quite possible so did the other vehicle...and he was the one making the turn.

Perhaps, the largest factor and most damaging is the fact that the pickup truck struck/clipped Clarke's vehicle with its front end. That point of impact strike is very critical and will probably play the most significant role in determining the brunt of the liability.

Edit. From the video, the vehicle that entered and crossed the intersection before Clarke's vehicle appeared to be traveling about the same rate of speed...at least from my observation. Interestingly, he yielded to the preceeding white car, but not to Clarke's vehicle.

Last edited:
Yes.

As JGeorge mentioned, if he did run the red light, and speed was a factor, it certainly will be a defense. There are a lot of unknown facts as JGeorge also mentioned, however, a picture paints a thousand words...in this case an actual video.

No matter the speed, and whether the light turned red, the pickup truck was sitting waiting to turn...deep in to the intersection as well. That tells me two things, he didn't have an arrow as he was waiting, and yielding the obligatory right of way, and second, he likely was too deep into it to even be able to see the traffic light above changing, etc. So, if Clark ran the red light, it's quite possible so did the other vehicle...and he was the one making the turn.

Perhaps, the largest factor and most damaging is the fact that the pickup truck struck/clipped Clarke's vehicle with its front end. That point of impact strike is very critical and will probably play the most significant role in determining the brunt of the liability.

It’s standard to sit that deep in an intersection in Los Angeles

It’s standard to sit that deep in an intersection in Los Angeles

That may be true, however, it doesn't preclude one's legal responsibilities, etc. when taking on that additional voluntary risk.

Yes.

No matter the speed, and whether the light turned red, the pickup truck was sitting waiting to turn...deep in to the intersection at that. That tells me two things, he didn't have an arrow as he was waiting, and yielding the obligatory right of way, and second, he possibly was too deep into it to even be able to see the traffic light above changing, etc. So, if Clark ran the red light, it's quite possible so did the other vehicle...and he was the one making the turn.

Edit. From the video, the vehicle that entered and crossed the intersection before Clarke's vehicle appeared to be traveling about the same rate of speed...at least from my observation. Interestingly, he yielded to the preceeding white car, but not to Clarke's vehicle.

lots of good points but you dont have an obligatory right of way when running a red light. If you watch the video closely, theres a car ahead of clarke that stops at the intersection and clarkes car then passes. Also there is a car going the other way that stops at the intersection about the same time clarke goes through. Also, there is a pickup black truck going the other way that was clearly trying to beat the light and that was about 5 seconds before clarke enters the intersection. It looks like clarke was fairly late going through...

that said, it really doesnt matter. Rip.

lots of good points but you dont have an obligatory right of way when running a red light. If you watch the video closely, theres a car ahead of clarke that stops at the intersection and clarkes car then passes. Also there is a car going the other way that stops at the intersection about the same time clarke goes through. Also, there is a pickup black truck going the other way that was clearly trying to beat the light and that was about 5 seconds before clarke enters the intersection. It looks like clarke was fairly late going through...

that said, it really doesnt matter. Rip.

Of course "you don't have an obligatory right of way when running a red light." However, you certainly don't when going through/running a red light AND making a left turn into ongoing traffic, which is what the pickup truck that struck Clarke's vehicle was apparently doing if the light was indeed red. IMO and experience, that was the proximate cause of the collision. The pickup truck clipped/struck Clarke's vehicle with its front end. That fact & particular point of impact will substantially come into play.

The car ahead of Clarke's you mention was in the further right lane in which Clarke's vehicle was traveling. When Clarke's vehicle passed it, it wasn't actually stopped, but it was certainly slowing down. Perhaps, it was slowing down to make a right turn whereas Clarke's vehicle was going straight through? The vehicle that was "going the other way" that stops at the intersection was also in the furthest lane to the right, and the black pickup truck was in the lane to its left. Perhaps, that vehicle was slowing down to make a right turn just as the vehicle that preceded it a few seconds earlier did? Also, the black pickup that appeared to be "trying to beat the light" had two vehicles from the opposite direction make left turns after it went through it. Additionally, the first of those two vehicles was turning left just as the pickup that struck Clarke was making its left turn. Therefore, it's somewhat difficult IMO to determine just how "clear" that running the red light was from the video that I saw.

No doubt, there's still several uncertainties that will factor in as the accident gets "reconstructed," etc. There will be comparative negligence on Clarke if indeed running the red and speed played a role. However, from experience, the pickup truck that struck Clarke's vehicle in this particular instance is probably going to bear the brunt of the liability/exposure in my opinion.

I understand he's gone and that is an obvious tragedy. However, it will matter to those loved ones commencing the wrongful death case on his behalf in the future.