Texas A-M fires Kevin Sumlin / hires Jimbo Fisher | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Texas A-M fires Kevin Sumlin / hires Jimbo Fisher

My concern with that is wouldnt it push kids to the top schools if they could make $ off likeness. A kid would be more marketable at duke and uk. It would make the playing field even more uneven then it already is.
But we are NY's college team. That makes us pretty marketable in the biggest market, where advertising sits. I should think our hoops guys would see a big benefit at first, then once we get the ship righted, the football team sees some good benefit. I think we could play it in our favor.

But we are NY's college team. That makes us pretty marketable in the biggest market, where advertising sits. I should think our hoops guys would see a big benefit at first, then once we get the ship righted, the football team sees some good benefit. I think we could play it in our favor.
Why use players from Syracuse when you can use players from the Knicks, Giants, or Yankees? NYC is a pro sports town. Substitute Atlanta for NYC and the University of Georgia for Syracuse and I think it works better.

Why use players from Syracuse when you can use players from the Knicks, Giants, or Yankees? NYC is a pro sports town. Substitute Atlanta for NYC and the University of Georgia for Syracuse and I think it works better.
I was just holding out hope that we could make a positive out of it. I agree with the premise that while paying student athletes or allowing them to be compensated for their likeness seems like the right thing to do, it destroys a majority of major college athletics by widening the gap between big booster state schools and the rest. One super conference of 16 teams that are semi-pro and then everyone else is Div 2.

Sumlin won't be in the market for long. Someone will scoop him up quick.
With how crappy the market is Sumlin won’t just get scooped up quickly it will be a P5 team.
Teams like Ole Miss, Arkansas in A&M’s division would be stupid not to kick the tires or Arizona State.

First off, I'm an Aggie by marriage. Having attended Midnight Yell and a few games at Kyle Field, Texas A&M's an easy program to have adopted. That said, A&M is not delusional. They have the top revenue producing sports program in the NCAA - The 25 schools that make the most money in college sports - facilities that are second to none, are located in a natural recruiting hotbed, and are the only SEC program in Texas. Why shouldn't they expect more? Sure they don't have the same pedigree as Alabama, Ohio State, etc., but they're certainly not delusional for having those aspirations.

As far as Sumlin, he crippled the program's culture with the way he handled Manziel, mismanaged the QB situation which resulted in numerous 4-5 star QB's transferring, and has failed to develop the top recruits he brings in. His success was with Mike Sherman's recruits. After that, he's brought in top 10 classes, but produced results outside the top 25. I don't think it's delusional for A&M to want/expect to finish better than fifth in the SEC West.

For Sumlin's replacement, I don't like the Jimbo rumors. The homerun for me would be Gary Patterson, who I know will be very tough to pry away from TCU.

First off, I'm an Aggie by marriage. Having attended Midnight Yell and a few games at Kyle Field, Texas A&M's an easy program to have adopted. That said, A&M is not delusional. They have the top revenue producing sports program in the NCAA - The 25 schools that make the most money in college sports - facilities that are second to none, are located in a natural recruiting hotbed, and are the only SEC program in Texas. Why shouldn't they expect more? Sure they don't have the same pedigree as Alabama, Ohio State, etc., but they're certainly not delusional for having those aspirations.

As far as Sumlin, he crippled the program's culture with the way he handled Manziel, mismanaged the QB situation which resulted in numerous 4-5 star QB's transferring, and has failed to develop the top recruits he brings in. His success was with Mike Sherman's recruits. After that, he's brought in top 10 classes, but produced results outside the top 25. I don't think it's delusional for A&M to want/expect to finish better than fifth in the SEC West.

For Sumlin's replacement, I don't like the Jimbo rumors. The homerun for me would be Gary Patterson, who I know will be very tough to pry away from TCU.

I, too, have ties to Aggieland and second much of what you've stated. I differ only in the fact that the Aggies have had a run on QB injuries, which we Orange fans know too well, can be disastrous to a team. While I agree that Sumlin essentially created the situation personnel wise, no coach can fully control the injury bug, only lessen the severity.

Recommendation to all CFB fans, put Kyle Field on your CFB bucket list. The fans are fun, loyal, welcoming, great tailgating, the cadets have some unique rituals and the fans get into some of the cheers a bit more than "Let's go Orange!". The seating is great (overpriced but great). All in all, a great way to take in a game and have fun. Of course, they are NOT ORANGE but still an enjoyable time.

DPlhtXxV4AAju5W.jpg

Jimbo leaving Florida State for anywhere but Alabama is laughable.

Florida State can match pretty much anything Texas A&M could offer.

A&M is a great job it’s not close to Florida State.

Totally agree, have always thought the TAM job was a bit overrated. Also, their colors are fugly.

Huge implications for the ACC Atlantic.
Guy is beyond stupid if he takes that job.
He will be out of a job in 5 years and won’t get as plum a job as Florida State again.

Wow Jimbo is stupid. A&M is second in the state of Texas behind Longhorns and he is the division with Alabama, Auburn, LSU good luck buddy.

Florida State could go after Scott Frost or stud young coach.

He will be out of a job in 5 years and won’t get as plum a job as Florida State again.

Wow Jimbo is stupid. A&M is second in the state of Texas behind Longhorns and he is the division with Alabama, Auburn, LSU good luck buddy.

If it is true. It feels like one of those situations where something is going on behind the scenes to prompt this move. I guess time will tell.

This makes literally zero sense... Can SEC $ and influence be that crazy?

Ditching Fla. St. A couple years after a National Championship for A&M? Has to be a leverage play, otherwise I just don't get it, unless he wants to go back to Texas that badly.

This makes literally zero sense... Can SEC $ and influence be that crazy?

Ditching Fla. St. A couple years after a National Championship for A&M? Has to be a leverage play, otherwise I just don't get it, unless he wants to go back to Texas that badly.

According to David Hale it has to do with control and facilities: A&M has better infrastructure.

He can't be that stupid, can he? Not that I'd complain.

He can't be that stupid, can he? Not that I'd complain.
Jimbo without Jameis is a 9-3 a year coach.

He isn’t Saban.
That 9-3 per year has been in the ACC as well not cutthroat SEC West.

Bama is going nowhere.
LSU will always be good.
Same for Auburn.

He is taking maybe the 3rd best job in his division.
He must hate the FSU fanbase or something.

According to David Hale it has to do with control and facilities: A&M has better infrastructure.
Sure, maybe, I'd bet a dollar he wasn't slummin it in Tallahassee though. Control? I mean I guess, but it's college not the NFL.

Still makes literally zero sense.

So with Jimbo heading to A&M are there any recruits that might jump on the Dino wagon?