Texas nonsense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Texas nonsense

Kids want cool things to take pictures with to post on Instagram. That's literally it...this isn't evidence of the system being "broken".
it's evidence that what's important is broken. you guys sound like recruiting apparatus when you try to spin this. This isn't the Price is Right. You are selecting a college to attend. The coach should matter, the academics should matter, the facilities and support should matter. A random car situated outside of Manley shouldn't. Again, i'm an old man at this point but feel like society lost the script here.

it's evidence that what's important is broken. you guys sound like recruiting apparatus when you try to spin this. This isn't the Price is Right. You are selecting a college to attend. The coach should matter, the academics should matter, the facilities and support should matter. A random car situated outside of Manley shouldn't. Again, i'm an old man at this point but feel like society lost the script here.
Not one of these kids is picking us because we have a lambo with Otto on the hood. Or because they can play with some 100 dollar bills. It's a photo shoot.

"Why don't these 18 year old kids align with my 60 year old values?"

The specific purpose of this thread is - they are literally just using the cars to take pictures.

So no, it has nothing to do with Henry Ruggs or the UGA kids. It's a photo op.
And the post you replied to was a comment he made about a post within this thread about rumors that Texas kids were getting lambos … no one said anything about SU. Just follow the posts, kids getting access to cars like that won’t end well. Isn’t this thread about Texas originally hence the title? What did I miss?

And the post you replied to was a comment he made about a post within this thread about rumors that Texas kids were getting lambos … no one said anything about SU. Just follow the posts, kids getting access to cars like that won’t end well. Isn’t this thread about Texas originally hence the title? What did I miss?
No one said Texas players were getting lambos? OP was literally a video with the same thing SU has been doing.

Not sure if you knew this but college students have had cars for years and years. I remember seeing EJ Carter doing donuts with a Hummer around a parking lot on Lambreth in 2010.

No one said Texas players were getting lambos? OP was literally a video with the same thing SU has been doing.

Not sure if you knew this but college students have had cars for years and years. I remember seeing EJ Carter doing donuts with a Hummer around a parking lot on Lambreth in 2010.
I’m well aware but not in the volume they can do today. More cars means more issues, it’s pretty simple. As I stated earlier kids are getting them, Carson Beck being one of the most public. Let’s not pretend that at some of these schools they are “display only”.

in 2 mins of internet research you uncover Ewers has an Aston Martin and Bijon Robinson had a lambo. BTW Ewers had a truck as well … but yeah schools aren’t giving kids cars like this … and specifically Texas of course.

in 2 mins of internet research you uncover Ewers has an Aston Martin and Bijon Robinson had a lambo. BTW Ewers had a truck as well … but yeah schools aren’t giving kids cars like this … and specifically Texas of course.

Did they get those cars from the schools directly or through NIL? If I make $1 mil by virtue of the fact i am QB1 for Texas, who's to tell me I can't buy/lease an Aston Martin or a Ford F-150 Raptor if choose to do so?

So 0.01% of kids have nice cars?

And neither one of those kids has been in a traffic incident as far as we know.

You could race a 2004 Toyota Corolla too. Really this is coming off as jealousy.

You could race a 2004 Toyota Corolla too. Really this is coming off as jealousy.
i have less of an issue (or no issue) with kids having nice cars. Marvin Harrison drove around with a very nice Lexus back in the day. I was legit happy for him. Worked hard at Heckingers probably to get that car paid for.

The showy part of recruiting is the issue I have. I don't get why that opinion is sauteed by a recency bias of what kids want. You could have done that in 05,95,85 and it's still garish to me.

They didn’t get the lambos

They got to take photos in them

Why do they want to take photos in them? Because it’s cool to post on Instagram, Snapchat, Be Real and Tik Tok

Doing this is showing you’re in touch with the student athlete.

Yes they still show academic buildings etc, but the kids want to make sure they are connecting with the coaches and the coaches understand them. Bringing in the exotic cars shows they are in touch with them.

It’s the same reason there are now places you can pay to go take photos etc to make it look like you’re on a private jet, or some crazy vacation etc.

Jealousy? I never said either one was in an accident, we went from no one gets cars like that to now it’s well they get them but no accident. Ok … as for the 0.01% if you account for all D1 sports fine but football it’s far higher.

From a 2021 tracker:

Chris Olave – 2021 Chevy Camaro SS
CJ Stroud – 2021 Chevy Z71 Silverado with the SCA Black Widow Package
Haskell Garrett – 2021 Ford F-150 with the SCA Black Widow Package
Zach Harrison – 2020 Chevy Tahoe Limited
Teradja Mitchell – 2021 Chevy Camaro RS
Miyan Williams – 2022 KIA K5

That’s just a few from OSU

Not jealousy ,. I’ve driven a car at 180 miles an hour and it is not something you screw around with. When you give people in general cars with that capability you are going to see some scary stuff but now you give it to a large group of younger folks that don’t have experience driving at that speed and haven’t been given even rudimentary training on driving at that speed. A better word for this is naive … naive that anyone thinks giving 20 somethings superstars is a good idea. Maybe I’ll have my buddy who is a claims adjuster explain to you the stats around age demographics in the insurance world.

So where we moving the goalposts to now?

Henry Ruggs was in the NFL. What does having a few nice loaner cars out for pics have to do with Henry Ruggs.
Article link was broken and I couldn't read it but I figured a bunch of college kids driving around high performance cars is ripe for a DUI death incident like what Ruggs did. I guess from reading other posts' it was just photo ops.

They had cars in the '80s*. ;)

* granted, not too fancy and may have included a dealer's name, but they were provided with vehicles to use.

They didn’t get the lambos

They got to take photos in them

Why do they want to take photos in them? Because it’s cool to post on Instagram, Snapchat, Be Real and Tik Tok

Doing this is showing you’re in touch with the student athlete.

Yes they still show academic buildings etc, but the kids want to make sure they are connecting with the coaches and the coaches understand them. Bringing in the exotic cars shows they are in touch with them.

It’s the same reason there are now places you can pay to go take photos etc to make it look like you’re on a private jet, or some crazy vacation etc.
^^^^^THIS. SU is literally doing exactly what every major school in America is doing with glorified photo ops on recruiting OVs. Shiny cars, colorful backdrops with hats and crowns. Big chairs with piles of fake hundos. I think it absolutely shows that Fran and the staff are in touch with 14-18 year olds. Literally every school does this. This is not unique to SU. The bling is what these kids enjoy sharing on social media. Whats so hard to get?

I'm a high school teacher. I also have teenage boys. I know for a fact kids today eat the jazzy photo shoot ops up on instagram, tik tok, x etc. My own kids share posts from SU recruits with their friends, who then share with others. It's kind of a thing today ppl.

This may be unpopular, and I am not saying I like it myself, but I don't believe any major D1 football player goes to any specific college bc of their academics or historical signifigance anymore. I think the thousands of posts on this board alone about NIL and money kind of supports that. Recruits are choosing a semi pro spot that they think will pay them the most, and have the staff to help them get to the league. This is college fb today.

FEA2F6EC-4331-409E-9F50-D209C63D57AE.gif

Jealousy? I never said either one was in an accident, we went from no one gets cars like that to now it’s well they get them but no accident. Ok … as for the 0.01% if you account for all D1 sports fine but football it’s far higher.

From a 2021 tracker:

Chris Olave – 2021 Chevy Camaro SS
CJ Stroud – 2021 Chevy Z71 Silverado with the SCA Black Widow Package
Haskell Garrett – 2021 Ford F-150 with the SCA Black Widow Package
Zach Harrison – 2020 Chevy Tahoe Limited
Teradja Mitchell – 2021 Chevy Camaro RS
Miyan Williams – 2022 KIA K5

That’s just a few from OSU

Not jealousy ,. I’ve driven a car at 180 miles an hour and it is not something you screw around with. When you give people in general cars with that capability you are going to see some scary stuff but now you give it to a large group of younger folks that don’t have experience driving at that speed and haven’t been given even rudimentary training on driving at that speed. A better word for this is naive … naive that anyone thinks giving 20 somethings superstars is a good idea. Maybe I’ll have my buddy who is a claims adjuster explain to you the stats around age demographics in the insurance world.

So where we moving the goalposts to now?
I worked in insurance. There are bad drivers and good drivers. Doesn't matter age, race, religion etc.

You just seem really concerned about college kids driving nice cars to get from point A to point B. Like these kids aren't smart enough to understand how to drive, even though you don't really have a lot of proof of any of them being reckless drivers.

I worked in insurance. There are bad drivers and good drivers. Doesn't matter age, race, religion etc.

You just seem really concerned about college kids driving nice cars to get from point A to point B. Like these kids aren't smart enough to understand how to drive, even though you don't really have a lot of proof of any of them being reckless drivers.
Hasn't the insurance industry told us for decades, based on their data, that young men under 25 are the most reckless drivers and that's why they pay the highest rates of any demographic?

Hasn't the insurance industry told us for decades, based on their data, that young men under 25 are the most reckless drivers and that's why they pay the highest rates of any demographic?
Yes and it’s reflected in insurance rates …

Not concerned I stated an opinion, you know folks are entitled to those. Just because it doesn’t align with yours doesn’t make it any less valid. There is a reason supercar companies have driving schools for high speed driving and KIA doesn’t. The fact is driving cars capable of that pull and performance is not something to play with for any adult let alone those with less driving experience. Again have you driven in excess of 160 mph something many of these vehicles are quite capable of, I have and it’s an eye opening experience.

I’m trying decide if this is sarcasm or lack of thought around statistics and what they mean.

Ah, yes, the personal attack method. Typical.

If you're going to use statistics to run your life and everybody else's (which is exactly what you are doing), then let's just ban sports cars for anyone under 25. That will put the statistic to 0%. Happy now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom