Texas nonsense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Texas nonsense

Ah, yes, the personal attack method. Typical.

If you're going to use statistics to run your life and everybody else's (which is exactly what you are doing), then let's just ban sports cars for anyone under 25. That will put the statistic to 0%. Happy now?
I was actually asking legitimately because text has no tone but since you took that course. Common sense tells you that the more independently operated entities you place in a confined space you increase the probability of collisions but since you like mocking stats here are a few:

“According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), drivers aged 16–24 were involved in 22.8% of all accidents in 2021. Drivers aged 25–34 were involved in almost as many accidents—22.6%—and no other age groups were involved in nearly as many crashes.”

The two largest accident prone groups by a large margin. More fun facts … the NTSB has accident records going back to the 30s and what they found is per capita (10,000 accidents) that from 1937 to 2023 they were able to reduce the rate by 95% per capita. However there are far more fatalities in spite of that … why because there are exponentially more accidents to deliver the fatality count. Their conclusion? As more cars take the road you have more accidents … I know novel thought.

In my opinion it’s a bad idea and it would have been a bad idea for me to have a car like that at that age. I have learned much behind the wheel. That also doesn’t mean that in spite of sentiment I am thrilled for the kids and want them to have loads of success. I just hate seeing what has happened to young athletes (even pro) in accidents that could be avoided.

I was actually asking legitimately because text has no tone but since you took that course. Common sense tells you that the more independently operated entities you place in a confined space you increase the probability of collisions but since you like mocking stats here are a few:

“According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), drivers aged 16–24 were involved in 22.8% of all accidents in 2021. Drivers aged 25–34 were involved in almost as many accidents—22.6%—and no other age groups were involved in nearly as many crashes.”

The two largest accident prone groups by a large margin. More fun facts … the NTSB has accident records going back to the 30s and what they found is per capita (10,000 accidents) that from 1937 to 2023 they were able to reduce the rate by 95% per capita. However there are far more fatalities in spite of that … why because there are exponentially more accidents to deliver the fatality count. Their conclusion? As more cars take the road you have more accidents … I know novel thought.

In my opinion it’s a bad idea and it would have been a bad idea for me to have a car like that at that age. I have learned much behind the wheel. That also doesn’t mean that in spite of sentiment I am thrilled for the kids and want them to have loads of success. I just hate seeing what has happened to young athletes (even pro) in accidents that could be avoided.

My problem with this approach is the line, where does it get drawn? You remove that age group and gender, then you start looking at the next "high risk" group, remove them, then the next and the next and the next.

Ah, yes, the personal attack method. Typical.

If you're going to use statistics to run your life and everybody else's (which is exactly what you are doing), then let's just ban sports cars for anyone under 25. That will put the statistic to 0%. Happy now?
I think a good point was made above--it's not a good idea for drivers with limited experience to be tooling around in those high-performance monsters. And the insurance rates are highest for 25-and-under males for a reason.

Of course if the stories about these kids having access to those cars are just a myth, then . . .

My problem with this approach is the line, where does it get drawn? You remove that age group and gender, then you start looking at the next "high risk" group, remove them, then the next and the next and the next.
Excuse my French, but the Slippery Slope argument is often BS.

Yes, A can lead to B which can lead to C, etc. That's why we have brains and judgment. Stop the dominoes before they do damage. Or, to answer your question above--we do our damndest to draw the line where it should be drawn.

A couple of things to think about.
1. Will the NFL/NBA allow these NIL deals to continue on for that much longer without consequences to the future players. With the Marvin Harrison jr and Fanatics situation, could these deals go against the licensing the NFL/NBA have or the teams have. This could make for some issues as NIL becomes more prominent. Will it make some deals that schools are offering to recruits go against their future licensing deals in the pros?
2. As a parent of teenagers, who is paying these car insurance bills and responsible for any crashes that occur? All it takes is one accident in these vehicles to create an i$$ue for the players, schools and the company that is supplying these vehicles. The 2023 accident with the Georgia football player, staffer and student unfortunately is just the first known accident with these “loaners”!

I don’t disagree … again I’m not out to kill the fun but driving at that speed is different. I would have no issue with having a mandatory driver training class much like they have the classes around financial management.

Excuse my French, but the Slippery Slope argument is often BS.

Yes, A can lead to B which can lead to C, etc. That's why we have brains and judgment. Stop the dominoes before they do damage. Or, to answer your question above--we do our damndest to draw the line where it should be drawn.

I would argue we do not, it's why we have so many laws on the books concerning "safety" of the population. We continue to move that line over and over again as people forget why the original line was drawn and look at the new stats.

I think a good point was made above--it's not a good idea for drivers with limited experience to be tooling around in those high-performance monsters. And the insurance rates are highest for 25-and-under males for a reason.

Exactly.

The data (fact) speaks for itself. Well, at least for those who can acknowledge fact, in this particular, et al from some other non-factual/objective suited alternative.

A couple of things to think about.
1. Will the NFL/NBA allow these NIL deals to continue on for that much longer without consequences to the future players. With the Marvin Harrison jr and Fanatics situation, could these deals go against the licensing the NFL/NBA have or the teams have. This could make for some issues as NIL becomes more prominent. Will it make some deals that schools are offering to recruits go against their future licensing deals in the pros?
2. As a parent of teenagers, who is paying these car insurance bills and responsible for any crashes that occur? All it takes is one accident in these vehicles to create an i$$ue for the players, schools and the company that is supplying these vehicles. The 2023 accident with the Georgia football player, staffer and student unfortunately is just the first known accident with these “loaners”!

Once again, these cars are for photo ops only

They are NOT giving them these cars

It’s for recruits to take photos with while on OVs etc

Maybe they should bring in a bevy of really hot girls too. You know, just for photo ops. It’s not like they would be setting the recruits up with them. Just, well, pose with them and have sone photos for social media purposes. What’s the harm? Right?

Once again, these cars are for photo ops only

They are NOT giving them these cars

It’s for recruits to take photos with while on OVs etc
Not true in 2021 Bijan Robinson was given a lambo, Carson Beck drives a Urus … big names are indeed getting them. Those specific cars in the photo maybe but kids are getting cars and some are getting high dollar items.

I would argue we do not, it's why we have so many laws on the books concerning "safety" of the population. We continue to move that line over and over again as people forget why the original line was drawn and look at the new stats.
I agree with you but unlike the idiot who burns themselves on McDonalds coffee who deserves no such warning, I do think the reason I tend to lean towards this stance is that they will be on the road with other drivers who could be significantly impacted by their decisions. I loathe the extra warnings and nanny labels but cars can make big messes at high speeds and having been hit by a couple folks driving erratically (including a guy who ran a red light) I suppose I may be more sensitive to it. Once you get tboned by a fast mover it changes your world view.

Not true in 2021 Bijan Robinson was given a lambo, Carson Beck drives a Urus … big names are indeed getting them. Those specific cars in the photo maybe but kids are getting cars and some are getting high dollar items.
Like I said it's just a matter time before another UGA or Ruggs incident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom