Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

So haven't read through all this but gotta figure then Kansas, TT, Baylor, TCU at minimum go Pac 12 and then WV ACC with IST and KST BiG?

x
Might as well add the Pac-12 too.

I'm kinda serious.

The B1G should buy out the ACC and P12, then take the best remnants of the B12 to form a 48 team league. Have six 8 team divisions with the winners plus 2 at larges going to the playoff. Leave the SEC to play in the FBS.

USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, UW, WSU, Oregon, Ore St
Zona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, Okie St, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU
Neb, Iowa, Minny, Wisc, Mich, Mich St, Illinois, KU
MD, RU, Ind, UP, tOSU, PSU, Louisville, NW
NC St, Wake, FSU, GA Tech, Clemson, UNC, UVA, Duke
ND, SU, BC, Pitt, WV, VA Tech, Miami, UConn

x

The B1G should buy out the ACC and P12, then take the best remnants of the B12 to form a 48 team league. Have six 8 team divisions with the winners plus 2 at larges going to the playoff. Leave the SEC to play in the FBS.

USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, UW, WSU, Oregon, Ore St
Zona, ASU, Utah, Colorado, Okie St, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU
Neb, Iowa, Minny, Wisc, Mich, Mich St, Illinois, KU
MD, RU, Ind, UP, tOSU, PSU, Louisville, NW
NC St, Wake, FSU, GA Tech, Clemson, UNC, UVA, Duke
ND, SU, BC, Pitt, WV, VA Tech, Miami, UConn
Why would anyone want UConn when it’s all football based. Liberty, temple Buffalo and the list goes on and on.

Yeah, I get that they're good at sports. Its just that none of these expansions are really about that. Maybe they'll latch on somewhere, who knows.

They've been in six conferences in their history, so they are used to this. before the Bi8/12, they were in the Missouri Valley Conference. And before that they were in, my favorite conference, the SWC!

Why Kansas? This isn't a basketball decision and KU is one of the worst teams in football.
Agreed. ACC doesn’t need any basketball help… and also, basketball doesn’t matter when discussing conference realignment.

The conference could start calling shots if ND came aboard full member, but until then, Clemson isn’t enough to make me think the ACC is in any sort of power position.

WVU is underwhelming and UCF wouldn’t likely sit well with FSU and Miami.

If this plays out as most think:

SEC
B1G
ACC
PAC

Will West Virginia consider the ACC if the B12 folds?
WVU brings nothing to the table.

Here's a complete list of their sports.
Number in parentheses is their place in the Big XII standings for 2018-19, the last year with no COVID impact.
M - baseball (4), basketball (10) , football (3), golf (9), soccer (1 in the MAC), swimming & diving (2 of 3), wrestling (9 of 12)

W- basketball (4), cross country (4), gymnastics (4 of 4), rowing (5 of 5), soccer (2), swimming & diving (3 of 5), tennis (10), track & field (9 outdoors), volleyball (9 of 9)

C- rifle (not a Big XII sport; 2nd in NCAA)

While that year was certainly an outlier for basketball, their sports seem to rate "meh", at best.

To me it makes a ton of sense b/c you can essentially manufacture an old big east, an old ACC, an old B10 and a southeastern super football grouping (FSU/Miami/Clemson/VA Tech/etc).

I could see the fine folks at ESPN frothing at the opportunity for something like this. The era of cohort/pods are here
Actually ACC + Big 10, add the 8 left from the Big 12 gives you the first superconference. And the Big 10 now has expanded into SEC territory, has the southwest covered. The only thing left would be the Pac 12, and I bet they would join the superconference if invited. That's 48 teams 6 pods of 8, or 12 of 4.

Outside of WVU and obviously ND, I see some posters mentioning CincI as a good candidate for the ACC. Wouldn't UCF be a better choice? Miami and Florida St probably wouldn't like it.
What about Baylor and WVU? ACC gets a TX footprint and excellent athletics/decent academics.

So haven't read through all this but gotta figure then Kansas, TT, Baylor, TCU at minimum go Pac 12 and then WV ACC with IST and KST BiG?
I cant see the PAC adding religious schools. I see PAC adding UNLV, KU, OKIE ST, TTECH. Could swap Houston for UNLV too but adding Nevada gives geographic continuity

ACC adding WV, BAYLOR.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, have they ever been in a conference without OU?
They were in the forerunner of the Big 8 1925-28 then left for the Missouri Valley Conference and rejoined permanently in 1958. OU joined the forerunner in 1919 and didn't leave (until now).

WVU brings nothing to the table.

Here's a complete list of their sports.
Number in parentheses is their place in the Big XII standings for 2018-19, the last year with no COVID impact.
M - baseball (4), basketball (10) , football (3), golf (9), soccer (1 in the MAC), swimming & diving (2 of 3), wrestling (9 of 12)

W- basketball (4), cross country (4), gymnastics (4 of 4), rowing (5 of 5), soccer (2), swimming & diving (3 of 5), tennis (10), track & field (9 outdoors), volleyball (9 of 9)

C- rifle (not a Big XII sport; 2nd in NCAA)

While that year was certainly an outlier for basketball, their sports seem to rate "meh", at best.
Actually would like to see ACC+Big 10 crab the Pac 12, and the remains of the Big 12. That would isolate the SEC, and take care of the entire country with 48 teams plus Notre Dame.

My personal best case here would be WVU for all sports, and then ND coming aboard, finally, for football. Until that happens, go with 3 pods. Something like this. Built in here are permanent crossovers. VA always plays Tech...etc.

ACC North (old Big East)
Syracuse
BC
Pitt
WVU
Virginia Tech

ACC Central (Carolinas)
Duke
UNC
Wake
Virginia
NC State

ACC South
FSU
Miami
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Louisville

Play your pod every year. Play a permanent crossover every year. And play the two teams who finished in the same spot in your pod the previous year every year. If its your crossover you get an extra non con.

Actually would like to see ACC+Big 10 crab the Pac 12, and the remains of the Big 12. That would isolate the SEC, and take care of the entire country with 48 teams plus Notre Dame.
As long as UVa gets to play UNC in as many sports as possible (with football as #1 on the list), I'll be happy. The ideal outcome IMO would be for the SEC to say no, Texas goes independent, and the ACC offers them the ND deal.

My personal best case here would be WVU for all sports, and then ND coming aboard, finally, for football. Until that happens, go with 3 pods. Something like this. Built in here are permanent crossovers. VA always plays Tech...etc.

ACC North (old Big East)
Syracuse
BC
Pitt
WVU
Virginia Tech

ACC Central (Carolinas)
Duke
UNC
Wake
Virginia
NC State

ACC South
FSU
Miami
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Louisville

Play your pod every year. Play a permanent crossover every year. And play the two teams who finished in the same spot in your pod the previous year every year. If its your crossover you get an extra non con.
Georgia Tech fans looking at your pods like…

26397E0E-7194-4035-BDC7-F38261FC403E.gif

ACC North (old Big East)
Syracuse
BC
Pitt
WVU
Virginia Tech

ACC Central (Carolinas)
Duke
UNC
Wake
Virginia
NC State

ACC South
FSU
Miami
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Louisville

I like these groups but i worry the ACC south teams won't like it. A lot of competition in there compared to the other two.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 2-3 years the best teams in the Power 5 form a 32 team super conference comprised of the strongest to compete in the new world of NIL. The remnants of the Power 5 leagues then form 2 conferences on an East-West basis. Not all the P5 remnants will get a seat. Our position could be precarious given this is based much more on football than hoops. Dangerous times ahead.

As long as UVa gets to play UNC in as many sports as possible (with football as #1 on the list), I'll be happy. The ideal outcome IMO would be for the SEC to say no, Texas goes independent, and the ACC offers them the ND deal.
My scenario everyone would keep their yearly opponent they have always played. Obviously the WWL is behind this attempting to destroy the ACC, and the Big 12. That's why everyone else should band together, and put a hurt on them. I'm sure their are emails, and other documents which in discovery would cost the WWL a ton of money.

This reminds me of the decline and fall of the Olympics. When I was a kid - and the Olympics were kinda/sorta amateur (other than the Russians/East Germans) - the Olympics were awesome. All about nationalism - think about the US "kids" beating the vaunted Soviets in hockey in 1980. I was glued to the TV to watch the Olympics - winter or summer. Now? If I watch the Tokyo games for 10 minutes, I'll be surprised.

College football (while full of cheaters in the SEC) was fairly pure, fairly amateur until the early '90's. And conferences actually were made up of 8-10 team leagues in which every team generally played each other in conference each year. The Pac 10. The Big 10 (with actually only 10 teams). The SWC with 8 Teams. The SEC with 10 Teams. Etc. And Syracuse fell in with a group of solid independents including PSU, ND, WV, Pitt, etc.

Sure it sucked having split national titles and no playoffs. But at least there were regional rivalries and some level of parity. (Ga Tech won a title in '90. Even Syracuse went undefeated in '87.) And the bowls frankly were a lot of fun. New Years Day was awesome.

Now? The for profit motive dominates at all levels - including the cost of education. I have buddy sending his daughter from out of state to Cal Berkeley next year. It's cost him - all in - about $70K - and that's a "public school". When my mom went to Cal Berkeley in the '60's - it cost her $50 a semester.

The unrelenting need to always make more money is now causing the decline and fall of college football - at least the game that I love. I really do not give a damn if I watch another Alabama/Ohio State game again. I just don't care. And with this latest round of realignment - it only gets sillier. How much $$ is too much? These are universities - ya know NON PROFIT institutions. It's not the NFL.

Oklahoma in the SEC? Really? It's BORING if 8 out of the 10 teams in the top Ten are SEC teams - which easily could be the case next year.

Bummed about this latest round of realignment.

There’s some Twitter buzz out there about Ok State talking to the ACC
That makes no sense. Obviously.

At this point the ACC needs to be in partnership with someone not add more teams and create a larger denominator unless ND is involved. Otherwise what's the point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom