Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Give FSU another $30 million per year from the SEC and give them an SEC home schedule and I think the competitive fires would be re-awakened at FSU. Heck they won the football championship in 2013 and they were ranked in the final top 10 four times from 2012 to 2016 and the other year they were ranked 14. They just need the right coach.
Give us an extra $30 million too, and I’ll bet we could make it work for us. Hell, we can find a way to split $30 million 85 ways in NIL payoffs. It’s a brave new world.

This reminds me of the decline and fall of the Olympics. When I was a kid - and the Olympics were kinda/sorta amateur (other than the Russians/East Germans) - the Olympics were awesome. All about nationalism - think about the US "kids" beating the vaunted Soviets in hockey in 1980. I was glued to the TV to watch the Olympics - winter or summer. Now? If I watch the Tokyo games for 10 minutes, I'll be surprised.

College football (while full of cheaters in the SEC) was fairly pure, fairly amateur until the early '90's. And conferences actually were made up of 8-10 team leagues in which every team generally played each other in conference each year. The Pac 10. The Big 10 (with actually only 10 teams). The SWC with 8 Teams. The SEC with 10 Teams. Etc. And Syracuse fell in with a group of solid independents including PSU, ND, WV, Pitt, etc.

Sure it sucked having split national titles and no playoffs. But at least there were regional rivalries and some level of parity. (Ga Tech won a title in '90. Even Syracuse went undefeated in '87.) And the bowls frankly were a lot of fun. New Years Day was awesome.

Now? The for profit motive dominates at all levels - including the cost of education. I have buddy sending his daughter from out of state to Cal Berkeley next year. It's cost him - all in - about $70K - and that's a "public school". When my mom went to Cal Berkeley in the '60's - it cost her $50 a semester.

The unrelenting need to always make more money is now causing the decline and fall of college football - at least the game that I love. I really do not give a damn if I watch another Alabama/Ohio State game again. I just don't care. And with this latest round of realignment - it only gets sillier. How much $$ is too much? These are universities - ya know NON PROFIT institutions. It's not the NFL.

Oklahoma in the SEC? Really? It's BORING if 8 out of the 10 teams in the top Ten are SEC teams - which easily could be the case next year.

Bummed about this latest round of realignment.
748B7BC3-659E-47A1-9C0E-4C5FFFDEE757.gif

Finding out that Texas/OU are potentially going to the SEC basically gave me the same visceral reaction as when I learned KD was signing with Golden State.
Yeah, but Durant/GS was only temporary. UT & OU to the SEC is forever (or until someone discovers a way to make even more $$$ in a different configuration).

There’s some Twitter buzz out there about Ok State talking to the ACC

Ok State, WVU and Baylor are my top three choices. Maybe throw in ISU if they're available. Go to 18. Throw in Kansas and TCU for giggles. Poor K State.

$76 million each school to leave the B12, it's scary that the schools, or SEC isn't even flinching. It's just a "drop in the well". Of course you could see that number coming down to $50M or so, but if the league dissolves, would there be a league left to pay that to?

Ok State, WVU and Baylor are my top three choices. Maybe throw in ISU if they're available. Go to 18. Throw in Kansas and TCU for giggles. Poor K State.

Sounds like A&M might be available ...

$76 million each school to leave the B12, it's scary that the schools, or SEC isn't even flinching. It's just a "drop in the well". Of course you could see that number coming down to $50M or so, but if the league dissolves, would there be a league left to pay that to?

They're not leaving early. The letter to be sent Monday is stating they will not extend their GOR. They don't expect to move until the current GOR is done which is 24-25.

UT & OU to the SEC is forever
I wouldn’t say anything conference-related is forever. This would be those teams’ 3rd conference in the past quarter century.

They're not leaving early. The letter to be sent Monday is stating they will not extend their GOR. They don't expect to move until the current GOR is done which is 24-25.

If they announce they are going to the SEC, there's no way in hell they play for 3 years in the B12. It might not even be an option if half the league has new ones to get to.

Texas and Oklahoma targeted the SEC for many reasons but Texas recruiting has become a problem for the Big 12. In 2010, 1 out of the top 20 recruits in Texas went to an SEC school and 18 of the top 20 Texas recruits went to the Big 12. In 2021, 13 of the top 20 Texas recruits went to the SEC and 5 of the top 20 went to the Big 12.

Well you'll certainly have new things to complain about.
Did you post this just so your stalker boyfriend could give it a like?

This is just positioning for the new college football. Player compensation, abandoning the ncaa, etc... for the blue bloods. Get in the conference that allows × to the players. Guarantee relevancy in the new system. Guarantee the best players. Guarantee the highest revenue schools.

When the conferences make the rules, most will be left behind. This conference talk is fun, but I expect all the blue bloods to get out, and join together.

So, assuming that you end up with a situation where SEC teams are earning $20 million more per year than others, even in their own geographical footprint, why does that matter? Since that money can't flow directly to the players from the schools, what difference will it make?

Thought experiment. List the licit ways that the $20 million will make a difference.
I think that it would just create a greater discrepancy between the have's and have nots. Those schools would have more ammunition for the arms race, so to speak, which will help with recruiting, leading to better talent and depth etc. I guess these athletes will be living in dorms with private saunas, Massage therapists, hot tubs, etc. JMHO

I like these groups but i worry the ACC south teams won't like it. A lot of competition in there compared to the other two.
The only other option that doesn’t break up the traditional NC schools is flipping VA and Clemson which could work but would put VA in a weird geographical place

Since that money can't flow directly to the players from the schools, what difference will it make?
I think its seven bills that have been introduced to pay players, or have them share in revenue. It WILL happen. If its a revenue share, this Guarantees that Tex/OU players get the most $$.

The only thing I can see stopping this is Greg Abbott, the Governor of Texas. Not saying he will, but based on the momentum we're hearing, it could be that only the government could stop this.
Not sure why he'd stop it. It's much more money for ut.

What would it take for the B12 to survive? If they added Cincy, Memphis, UCF, Houston, Boise State, Fresno State, San Diego State, BYU would that close the gap with the PAC 12? Wouldn't they be guaranteed a seat in the playoff? They would also kill off the MWC and AAC.

B12 West
Fresno State, San Diego State, Boise State, BYU

B12 North
Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State

B12 East
West Virginia, Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF

B12 South
Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Houston

If they announce they are going to the SEC, there's no way in hell they play for 3 years in the B12. It might not even be an option if half the league has new ones to get to.
Why not? Maryland announced in Nov, 2012 it was leaving the ACC effective the 2014-15 school year.

ACC/B10 need to be proactive and not sit and watch SEC make all the decision on conference realignments. They should be talking to each other now and saying F the SEC we’re going to make the 1st super conference now instead of playing catch up.

ACC/B10 need to be proactive and not sit and watch SEC make all the decision on conference realignments. They should be talking to each other now and saying F the SEC we’re going to make the 1st super conference now instead of playing catch up.
Would need to think through TV contracts (current and future), expiration dates of current contracts and who the respective players are (e.g. ESPN, Fox).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom