Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Reminds me of the soccer super league. Bunch of idiots blinded by short term dollar signs rather than what’s best for the sport.

“Look, we’re the kings of a small kingdom we created as the ecosystem dies out around us”
Agree. This seems to be really straddling that fine line of having half the country not give a crap about your sport if some of this speculation comes to fruition .

If Syracuse received a Big Ten offer today, would it accept the offer or stay and "partner" with the ACC and "give up a little", even if that meant being relegated to a second tier in a possible seismic realignment?

If Florida State and/or Clemson received an SEC invitation, would you expect them to turn it down to stay in the ACC for tens of millions less ?

Would you expect them to "partner" and "give up a little" instead of joining the SEC ?

You and I and everyone else knows the answer.

Any school with a much better $$$ offer will take it.

None will worry much about "partnership". Did Texas and Oklahoma do this?

Every school who has changed conferences in the past decade did so for more cash and status.

Those moves just seem to be accepted and understood as just the way it is.

So, why is ND looked at differently if it decides to do the same?

I am not saying that ND to the Big Ten is likely or probable. I strongly hope not.

I want the status quo, but these changes may mean that is unlikely.

(Blame the SEC and Texas/Oklahoma for this upheaval, not ND)

ND has some history of doing unexpected moves without advance warning.

(recall the 2012 ACC/ND announcement)

My only point is that ACC fans should not just assume that if ND had to join a conference that it would be the ACC.
truth be told at this point im not sure we would take the big 10 offer for a slight increase in money if the acc is still viable

ND is why college football is great. Let ND be ND. We tend to get into these brush fires on the past.
ND is the team you want to play yearly. It’s a special place and a school that hasn’t sold out for the last dime ironically. May not fit into your desired hopes but they sure seem ok as of right now

If Syracuse received a Big Ten offer today, would it accept the offer or stay and "partner" with the ACC and "give up a little", even if that meant being relegated to a second tier in a possible seismic realignment?

If Florida State and/or Clemson received an SEC invitation, would you expect them to turn it down to stay in the ACC for tens of millions less ?

Would you expect them to "partner" and "give up a little" instead of joining the SEC ?

You and I and everyone else knows the answer.

Any school with a much better $$$ offer will take it.

None will worry much about "partnership". Did Texas and Oklahoma do this?

Every school who has changed conferences in the past decade did so for more cash and status.

Those moves just seem to be accepted and understood as just the way it is.

I am not saying that ND to the Big Ten is likely or probable. I strongly hope not.

I want the status quo, but these changes may mean that is unlikely.

(Blame the SEC and Texas/Oklahoma for this upheaval, not ND)

ND has some history of doing unexpected moves without advance warning.

(recall the 2012 ACC/ND announcement)

My only point is that ACC fans should not just assume that if ND had to join a conference that it would be the ACC.

In response to your inquiry, I'll respond by saying because no other school has rather remarkably been able in having their cake and eating it too. The Big East bailed out ND's failing hoops program & Olympic sports in hope for a return favor that never came. The ACC arrangement is somewhat better on the football side of things in comparison, but it still isn't a true indemnification.

So, just as when that $$$ basket goes around that second time during mass nowadays, Notre Dame has been able to swindle its worshipers and the like in yet again convincing fashion.

Last edited:
WHEN legislation gives players x percent of conference revenue, will conference contracts hold up when the business model has completely changed?

I'm guessing they won't.

In response to your inquiry, I'll respond by saying because no other school has been able to pull off having their cake and eating it too. The Big East bailed out ND's failing hoops program & Olympic sports in hope for a return favor that never came. The ACC arrangement is somewhat better on the football side of things in comparison, but it still isn't a true indemnification.

So, just as when that $$$ basket goes around that second time during mass, Notre Dame, has been able to swindle its worshipers and the like in yet again convincing fashion.
Swindle no.

they are like amazon/ikea when they come to town: they command the terms, the finances, and the vision.

ND isn’t the bad guy here.
No, ND is not the bad guy. Not by a long shot. But this SEC expansion moves CFB ever closer to that dystopia some have been predicting for nearly a decade: 2 Super-Sized conferences, Super SEC and Super Big Ten. ND either realizes that and acts to help prevent it, or ND eventually will have 3 choices: Super SEC, Super Big Ten, or reduction in football status to something like 'midwestern BC with great ancient history and weak schedules these days.'

The ND hubris is thinking it can be an island.

Personally, I always expect ND to do whatever is in ND's best interest, regardless of whatever partnerships, agreements, and contractual obligations are in place.

To answer your question above, they are looked at differently because some people still naively believe that ND is founded on the virtues and Christian principles they espouse so passionately.

As a fan or, even worse, an alum, does the hypocrisy bother you at any level?

Imagine if all this money we are talking about was donated to cancer research and we were left alone to just enjoy college sports!

Not sure what one has to do with another, but ok.

Personally, I always expect ND to do whatever is in ND's best interest, regardless of whatever partnerships, agreements, and contractual obligations are in place.

To answer your question above, they are looked at differently because some people still naively believe that ND is founded on the virtues and Christian principles they espouse so passionately.

As a fan or, even worse, an alum, does the hypocrisy bother you at any level?
What Christian principle are we neglecting? We're not greedy, we could get more money in a conference if we joined. We are fulfilling our requirements to the ACC. In the Big East there was no contractual tie to force us to play teams.

Last edited:
No, ND is not the bad guy. Not by a long shot. But this SEC expansion moves CFB ever closer to that dystopia some have been predicting for nearly a decade: 2 Super-Sized conferences, Super SEC and Super Big Ten. ND either realizes that and acts to help prevent it, or ND eventually will have 3 choices: Super SEC, Super Big Ten, or reduction in football status to something like 'midwestern BC with great ancient history and weak schedules these days.'

The ND hubris is thinking it can be an island.
ND is use to being an island. But in the scenario you are laying out ND would have issues. Scheduling would become an issue.

Last edited:
What Christian principle are we neglecting? We're not greedy, we could get more money in a conference if we joined. We are fulfilling our requirements to the ACC. In the Big East their was no contractual tie to force us to play teams.
Huh. Interesting "logic" here. So, if and when you do join a conference you are, by your definition, greedy.

Huh. Interesting "logic" here. So, if and when you do join a conference you are, by your definition, greedy.
No, but if it was all about greed and money for ND we would join the SEC or Big 10. But we didn't, we went into a partnership with the ACC.

let me correct you. Nd isnt the bad guy this time but generally speaking they are
Just like Syracuse was for the big east teams we left in the dust in 2011. Everyone is going to do what’s best for their school

ND is interesting because they aren’t chasing dimes in the couch like the rest of us.

Just like Syracuse was for the big east teams we left in the dust in 2011. Everyone is going to do what’s best for their school

ND is interesting because they aren’t chasing dimes in the couch like the rest of us.
that was slightly different in that it was known for years we were looking to move to the acc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom