Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Even though we are in Central NY we have plenty of cache in the New York TV market. That alone will give us a place at the table somewhere when all is said and done. I don’t think any current P5 team will be left out honestly, just a question of how many conferences will there be, 4 or 3.
How many would purchase (ala cart) the network Cuse is on? (Value)

I'm guessing in Boston, slim to non would purchase the network BC is on. Comcast only provides SEC, B10, Pac12. Regional footprint is a nice thought, but some regions bring no value.

Eh, he’s a Boston guy for the pros so he’s been doing okay in the “joy” department for quite a while when it comes to sports.

And I hate him for it. Go Yankees.
Yankees suck. Lol

As a Boston sports fan? Its been pretty freaking awesome. Sure, it will come to an end, but 12 championships in 20 years? Hate us all you want. ;-)

that was slightly different in that it was known for years we were looking to move to the acc
And SU was grabbing a lifeboat on the Titanic.

They have their head in the sand if they don’t have genuine concern right now. ACC is about to get left in the dust if bold moves aren’t taken soon. We are already #5 of 5 in TV money. Big Ten and soon the SEC have a breathtaking lead.

Hiding behind the GOR and pretending you are good is just poor leadership.
Would you prefer them to communicate to the media that they are nervous about teams being poached?

If I’m ole miss or miss st, I’m thinking long and hard about this one. The contract they have now already gives them more money than they’ll need, more money is always nice, but it won’t really change their situations.

But if OU and UT come on board, those schools are pushed essentially to being irrelevant. They will never win in a division with OU and UT in it, and they’ll probably never even finish second or third. Permanent also rans.

A&M needs to be lobbying these guys and probably vandy and South Carolina to vote no on this. Those five are probably all that stands between this and seismic changes across college sports.
Exactly. If the SEC schools that are NOT football giants (Ole Miss, Miss St, Vandy, UK, SoCar, Arkie, Mizzou) had a sound sense of self-preservation within their league, they would vote No to adding 2 more football giants. The SEC without Texas and OU is still going to be as rich as the BT, and still have better football than the BT. Add OU and Texas to the top half of SEC football, and it becomes a death trap for those 7 programs.

If the SEC moves Bama and Auburn to the East, the new divisions will be:

Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Tenn, Vandy, UK, SoCar
OU, Texas, A&M, LSU, Arkie, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Miss St

Think about the bottom 4 in the SEC West. Think about all the fans of those programs. Think about all the past histories of those programs. Then think about each always facing a tough uphill battle just to finish in the top half of the SEC West in back to back seasons.

If I am one of those schools, I vote No, and agree to compromise and add OU with a non-giant in football (say, Ok St, TCU, Baylor, TTU).

That ought to be as obvious as the fact that almost everybody in ACC basketball should be opposed to the ACC adding UK or IU. Think it's tough now for a BC or Pitt or NCSU or Wake or GT to ever get back to its best days in hoops? Just add UK and see the difficulty rise.

Would you prefer them to communicate to the media that they are nervous about teams being poached?
I assume that is what is going on. They know what I know about SEC desires to 'own' the entire South. The SEC is not in VA and NC. They know that even 10 years ago Jim Delaney suggested that the Big Ten could end up with many more members. They know that FSU boosters have a hissy fit every 2 or 3 years about wanting more money to try to have almost as much as Florida.

It is entirely possible that right now the SEC is making it clear to UNC and UVA that they intend to be in NC and VA and will eventually take VT and MooU if UNC and UVA continue to say no. And, they also would take Clemson and FSU just to make sure UNC and UVA realize what they have cost themselves.

The BT will not allow the SEC to to woo UNC and UVA alone. If the BT is ready to go to 20, I would guess that it will off UVA, UNC, Dook, Clemson, GT, and FSU, to have a huge presence in the South and make both the SEC suffer and make ND grovel to avoid irrelevance.

They have their head in the sand if they don’t have genuine concern right now. ACC is about to get left in the dust if bold moves aren’t taken soon. We are already #5 of 5 in TV money. Big Ten and soon the SEC have a breathtaking lead.

Hiding behind the GOR and pretending you are good is just poor leadership.
bigten doesnt have a lot of great candidates to go to 16

bigten doesnt have a lot of great candidates to go to 16
The pair that matter are UNC and UVA. And if the BT could pull that off, then the entire southeast not in the SEC if up for easy pickings.

Heh yeah that thought occurred to me after I posted.
Hey, winning more championships in 20 years than ANYONE in the history of mankind can go to your head.

And, of course, I just made that stat up, because I'm from Boston. Its what we do. I'd hate myself, too, if I wasn't a Boston fan...

Thank you, but we actually helped each other. If push comes to shove we will protect our own interest, just like Syracuse will protect their own. ND appreciates the ACC, just not enough to join in full. But we will see what happens in the near future.
I for one hope they never join the ACC. Often overrated, delusional, obnoxious subway alumni…… no thanks.

Thank you, but we actually helped each other. If push comes to shove we will protect our own interest, just like Syracuse will protect their own. ND appreciates the ACC, just not enough to join in full. But we will see what happens in the near future.
ND goes out of their way to protect their own at the expense of other teams, we know we saw you at MSG for BE tournaments, but didn’t see the Big East logo on your field. You’ll excuse our saltiness as we’ve already been on the short end of your independence.

Conferences are about joining together to have more clout, more revenue, more power. You’re been half in for a long time. We’ve been all in.

I also don’t know why joining a conference is seen as a negative - we gain as much as we give that’s kind of the thing.

The ACC can't make themselves more attractive to ND without more TV money.

But they can't get more TV money without a commitment from ND.
Give ND a differential

Agree. This seems to be really straddling that fine line of having half the country not give a crap about your sport if some of this speculation comes to fruition .
Super conferences will hurt football development. Concentrating that much in 50 schools, the rest might close up shop and focus on basketball. Way fewer opportunities for top end coaching and facilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom