Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Opposite for me. I used to be way more into the NFL but now love college way more. Of course, I moved from CNY to Georgia and have been living down South for 25+ years. So I am sure that has something to do with it. I just love the pageantry of it all, the bands, the atmosphere. I've been to several Atlanta Falcon & Georgia Bulldog games, give me UGA. I can watch college ball all day, the NFL - meh. I also used to play fantasy football a lot, not so much anymore. Playing fantasy, definitely gets you more into the NFL.

So - sad to see college ball becoming more like a semi-pro league.
Aint that the sad truth.

If there starts to be seismic shifts again, which this would be, ACC would need to add assets… we just found out in a week’s time that two of the biggest names in all of college football history are most likely finalizing a move in what could be a matter of weeks.

Do you think they’re the only schools having conversations? Do you think the B1G isn’t going to have a countermove? It’s the first couple dominoes to another whole cycle imo.

Eventually ND has to do something. And if it’s go Indy, their market value ain’t what it always was. Good luck getting premier NC games when there’s most likely a 9/10 game conference slate + additional playoff games for whichever conferences go mega.
Or ND could just wait until the last seismic shift had occurred and the 4 mega conferences are at 16-20 teams each. They could then evaluate current situation and if they conclude that they are better off in a conference, could call any of the commissioners, ask to be added and without hesitation they would replace the first school that comes to mind as expendable….like say Syracuse.

A&M comes off looking horrible by how desperate they are to keep Texas and Oklahoma out of the SEC. They don’t have the juice to stop this all these leaks are to feed the anger of their fan base. Their fan base was happy to get out of the shadow of Texas and now they’re basically going to be back in it.

The SEC is taking the schools basically because they don’t want them to go elsewhere. This isn’t like the Yankees taking NL MVP Giancarlo Stanton for nothing and then becoming garbage

A&M comes off looking horrible by how desperate they are to keep Texas and Oklahoma out of the SEC. They don’t have the juice to stop this all these leaks are to feed the anger of their fan base. Their fan base was happy to get out of the shadow of Texas and now they’re basically going to be back in it.

The SEC is taking the schools basically because they don’t want them to go elsewhere. This isn’t like the Yankees taking NL MVP Giancarlo Stanton for nothing and then becoming garbage
I doubt that A&M is hard opposed to OU. They just do not want Texas. And I do recall news reports from when they joined the SEC that indicated that they made the move to be away from Texas.

If you act to leave your league to get away from 1 member (Arkansas did the same earlier), and then that member is invited into your new league, without even your knowing it, then your new league is not run well, to put it mildly. Such a move never would have been made by the ACC.

This move proves that the SEC has become every bit as nasty and money-whoring, and indifferent to primary desires of league members, as the Big Ten always has been. It now seems clear that the SEC used A&M to weaken the Big 12 just to get Texas eventually.

Perhaps Mike Slive actual;y meant what he said when he told Aggies that they would have veto over any move to add Texas. But Slive did not codify it, and Slive was a really nasty lawyer. When Slive was named SEC Commissioner, a UVA Law grad I know told me that Slive definitely is not a gentleman and is, in fact, the type to gladly lawyer for Mafiosos if that made him money and brought him power.

The ACC long has been the last conference run rather casually by people who give their word to each other and mean it.

If there starts to be seismic shifts again, which this would be, ACC would need to add assets… we just found out in a week’s time that two of the biggest names in all of college football history are most likely finalizing a move in what could be a matter of weeks.

Do you think they’re the only schools having conversations? Do you think the B1G isn’t going to have a countermove? It’s the first couple dominoes to another whole cycle imo.

Eventually ND has to do something. And if it’s go Indy, their market value ain’t what it always was. Good luck getting premier NC games when there’s most likely a 9/10 game conference slate + additional playoff games for whichever conferences go mega.
I think that ND will ride football independence for as long as it is possible.

But, if the conferences force ND to abandon independence, why not cash in the most with the Big Ten?

Why would ND agree to join the ACC in football for half the money it can get in the Big Ten?

(I figure the ACC payout at about $40 million with ND involved and the Big Ten payout being close to $75-80 million with ND involved)

One of the main reasons (perhaps THE main reason) that ND joined the ACC was that it didn't include football. It kept ND football independent.

If ND football has to surrender to the conferences and become like everyone else, that advantage goes away.

If so, then a big reason that ND joined the ACC goes away. "Poof".

ND football would be as much "regionalized" in the ACC as in the Big Ten. It will lose its national schedule and maybe its national recruiting ability.

In that case, why not just join the Big Ten to get the most money for it?

Sure, ND fans hate the Big Ten with a white hot passion (me included), but hasn't college football become just a cash and carry business ?

Doesn't every other school that switches conferences do so for the most TV money possible ??

(Other fans wanted ND to be like everyone else, so they may get their wish)

IF forced to surrender and join a conference, why shouldn't ND do what other schools do, hold its nose over joining the Big Ten, play that game too and cash in for the most TV money ?

The GOR (which doesn't include ND football), exit fee and the contract that stipulates that ND football must join the ACC if it goes all in are merely "speed bumps" to be leveled out in court and through negotiations with that much money at stake.

(See Texas/Oklahoma going to the SEC although it will cost $76 million apiece)

Does everyone think that the Big Ten is more keen or less keen on landing ND after Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC?

I suspect that the Big Ten is making a pitch to ND right now.

I don't like it, but that may be the result of the latest SEC move.

Last edited:

But, if the conferences force ND to abandon independence, why not cash in the most with the Big Ten?

Why would ND agree to join the ACC in football for half the money it can get in the Big Ten?

(I figure the ACC payout at about $40 million with ND involved and the Big Ten payout being close to $75-80 million with ND involved)

One of the main reasons (perhaps THE main reason) that ND joined the ACC was that it didn't include football. It kept ND football independent.

If ND football has to surrender to the conferences and become like everyone else, that advantage goes away.

ND football would be as much "regionalized" in the ACC as in the Big Ten. It will lose its national schedule and maybe its national recruiting ability.

Sure, ND fans hate the Big Ten with a white hot passion (me included), but hasn't college football become just a cash and carry business ?

Doesn't every other school that switches conferences do so for the most TV money possible ??

IF forced to surrender and join a conference, why shouldn't ND do what other schools do, hold its nose over joining the Big Ten, play that game too and cash in for the most TV money ?

The GOR (which doesn't include ND football), exit fee and the contract that stipulates that ND football must join the ACC if it goes all in are merely "speed bumps" to be leveled out in court and through negotiations with that much money at stake.

Does everyone think that the Big Ten is more keen or less keen on landing ND after Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC?

I don’t care that my school is basically going to get screwed( as SU doesn’t even compete well) I will enjoy my ND family having to accept being in the Big Ten.

I would not have believed it unless I read it for myself on Notre Dame's website, but there it is:

"In all dimensions of the University, Notre Dame pursues its objectives through the formation of an authentic human community graced by the Spirit of Christ. Unless and until such time that our faith leads us to, nay demands that we circumvent the contractual bonds, speed bumps, professional integrity, and the sanctity of honoring one's word and commitment ["to get the most TV money possible]."

Notre Dame Mission Statement

I would not have believed it unless I read it for myself on Notre Dame's website, but there it is:

"In all dimensions of the University, Notre Dame pursues its objectives through the formation of an authentic human community graced by the Spirit of Christ. Unless and until such time that our faith leads us to, nay demands that we circumvent the contractual bonds, speed bumps, professional integrity, and the sanctity of honoring one's word and commitment ["to get the most TV money possible]."

Notre Dame Mission Statement

Like I said, for years other fans wanted ND to be just like everyone else.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess.

I think that ND will stay independent.

But, if it is forced to join, I just wonder what the odds are...ACC versus Big Ten.

an oldie, but more relevant than ever.

I’m sure it won’t happen, but the ACC should be blowing up A&M’s phone lines right now.
The Pac 12 should be blowing up A&M's phones right now, not the ACC.

Like I said, for years other fans wanted ND to be just like everyone else.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess.

I think that ND will stay independent.

But, if it is forced to join, I just wonder what the odds are...ACC versus Big Ten.
i think its would be close, as if you guys joined the acc i think the acc would be at 50 mil or more per team

i think its would be close, as if you guys joined the acc i think the acc would be at 50 mil or more per team
ND fans who want independence at all cost don’t care about partnership and giving up a little.

The Irish fans deserve the Big Ten.

It’s kind of cute that ND fans still think staying independent long term is a thing.

It’s kind of cute that ND fans still think staying independent long term is a thing.
As long as it’s monetarily feasible, they’ll stick with it. They’ve made the CFP, gotten blown out, and rinse and repeat. Apparently that’s enough for them right now. Independence >>>National Championship.

As long as it’s monetarily feasible, they’ll stick with it. They’ve made the CFP, gotten blown out, and rinse and repeat. Apparently that’s enough for them right now. Independence >>>National Championship.

I think if conferences trend larger in size it’ll be harder for them to schedule quality games. Is the SEC going to feel obligated to give them OOC games, the B10? The schedules allow that now but not with, for example, the SEC increasing in size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom