Texas Tech Starting Five | Syracusefan.com

Texas Tech Starting Five

Our Development of our players is more of a problem than our recruiting

I don’t know...I look at some our guys from the recent past and don’t really see a lot of untapped potential. I think it’s a combination of both. But who have we had that we can say should’ve/could’ve been a lot better?

I don’t know...I look at some our guys from the recent past and don’t really see a lot of untapped potential. I think it’s a combination of both. But who have we had that we can say should’ve/could’ve been a lot better?
Looking at last year
Howard regressed(could be cause of injury)
What did battle improve on from last year?
Chuwku still couldn’t catch the ball as a senior.
Brissett and dolejaz both didn’t impress me on improvements this year but they still have time.
Recruiting players out of position to play Pg has also hurt

Looking at last year
Howard regressed(could be cause of injury)
What did battle improve on from last year?
Chuwku still couldn’t catch the ball as a senior.
Brissett and dolejaz both didn’t impress me on improvements this year but they still have time.
Recruiting players out of position to play Pg has also hurt

Howard was slow with weak handles. Hard to fix that.

Battle maxed out his soph year. Where else could he go?

Chukwu’s a stiff. He did what he could. And on a better team it would’ve been more than enough. But he’s not some super athletic guy or strong guy. What else should he be doing?

I thought Dolezaj improved. He wasn’t shooting from outside or going to the hole off those shot fakes like that before.

Brissett...agree. But I think his athleticism and potential are vastly overstated. He’s your average 6’7 high major forward IMO.

Chukwu’s a stiff. He did what he could. And on a better team it would’ve been more than enough. But he’s not some super athletic guy or strong guy. What else should he be doing?

I thought Dolezaj improved. He wasn’t shooting from outside or going to the hole off those shot fakes like that before.

Brissett...agree. But I think his athleticism and potential are vastly overstated. He’s your average 6’7 high major forward IMO.

I agree with most of this, but I did think Battle would shoot better than 31% from 3 and Oshae has just been a terrible offensive player.

Battles 3 point shooting and overall consistency could have improved

I agree with most of this, but I did think Battle would shoot better than 31% from 3 and Oshae has just been a terrible offensive player.

True on Battle. He shot it well as a freshman, but I think he got better looks on that team too.

Though with his struggle form, I can’t say I’m shocked that he didn’t shoot it well from 3 the last 2 years.

I’ve said it before, but his shot looks like when you release the shoot button a little too late in NBA 2K. Just doesn’t look smooth and at the peak of his shot. It looks like a struggle and like he’s on his way down.

I don’t know how you fix that when you’re 20+ and have presumably been shooting like that for many years.

Battles 3 point shooting and overall consistency could have improved

Some guys just don’t have the jumper to be really good 3 point shooters.

Most of our guys who really improved their percentages already had great looking strokes and just needed to adjust to the speed and physicality of the game and get used to doing it at game speed against D-1 defense. Imo. Guys like Shumpert, Nichols, Rautins, Southerland.

The only guy who is coming to mind who I thought was a bricklayer early on and became a much better shooter was Dave Johnson.

Beard was HC @ UNLV for all of 10 minutes. Imagine if he had stayed there. Is coaching in a P5 school, even if not a blue blood basketball school, better than a school like UNLV with 4 Final Fours and a NC?

Beard was HC @ UNLV for all of 10 minutes. Imagine if he had stayed there. Is coaching in a P5 school, even if not a blue blood basketball school, better than a school like UNLV with 4 Final Fours and a NC?

Comes down to the facilities/recruiting grounds/salary IMO.

I feel like nobody thinks about UNLV anymore. I have no idea what their setup is.

If you're making more money, it is.

In most situations I think it is. Beard was an assistant at Texas Tech for 10 years so he had some idea of the potential of the program.

Culver and Moretti are experiencing the sophomore jump we've seen from guys in this program.

Owens and Mooney 'developed' at other programs. Really, the recruiting services just seem to have missed. Both are similar players now as they were in years 1 and 2 of their careers.

Odiase has regressed, if anything.

Looks like Tech benefited from some good and timely transfers more than anything.

Culver and Moretti are experiencing the sophomore jump we've seen from guys in this program.

Owens and Mooney 'developed' at other programs. Really, the recruiting services just seem to have missed. Both are similar players now as they were in years 1 and 2 of their careers.

Odiase has regressed, if anything.

Looks like Tech benefited from some good and timely transfers more than anything.

And some incredible coaching.

Our Development of our players is more of a problem than our recruiting

This was Matt Mooney and Tariq Owens 3rd college in their 5 years as both were grad transfers this year (Mooney-Air Force, S. Dakota and TT ) (Owens - Tenn, St John’s and TT just this year). I doubt you can credit Beard with their development but he certainly deserves credit for putting them in a situation to succeed and putting fractured pieces together creating such a great cohesive team. Tariq had a very good junior year at St John’s while Mooney was S Dakota’s leading scorer his sophomore and junior years averaging over 18 points /game each year.

This was Matt Mooney and Tariq Owens 3rd college in their 5 years as both were grad transfers this year (Mooney-Air Force, S. Dakota and TT ) (Owens - Tenn, St John’s and TT just this year). I doubt you can credit Beard with their development but he certainly deserves credit for putting them in a situation to succeed and putting fractured pieces together creating such a great team. Tariq has a very good junior year at St John’s while Mooney was S Dakota’s leading scorer his sophomore and junior years averaging over 18 points /game each year.

You do know your basketball!!!!!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom