Texas Tech Starting Five | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Texas Tech Starting Five

You do know your basketball!!!!!:p

Actually I remembered Tariq Owens when he played for St John’s against us during Christmas break in 2016 when they beat us up because he looked like a prototypical SU player. (The headband was all Hakim) He had a very good game as a sophomore in limited minutes (which puzzled me - he didn’t start) and was a shot blocking machine. I had to look up Mooney though wondering why I never heard of him before.

Tariq Owens transfers to Texas Tech

RE - Beard leaving.

Only one P5 (or P6 before) coach who reached the final four since 2000, has voluntarily left his program for another collegiate program. (some have retired, left for NBA, or been fired years later)

That coach is Tom Crean who reached the final four in 2003 with Marquette and left for Indiana in 2008.

Our Development of our players is more of a problem than our recruiting
shoe-horning players into roles they aren't suited for is an issue...

either get the pieces that PERFECTLY fit your scheme...or adjust it to the pieces that you do have...

otherwise, the players aren't going to look as good as they could and do as well as they could.

too many of the recent SU players do not actually fit the roles they are being asked to play...

I get it the system is good and important but if you don't have the right pieces don't force the issue.

shoe-horning players into roles they aren't suited for is an issue...

either get the pieces that PERFECTLY fit your scheme...or adjust it to the pieces that you do have...

otherwise, the players aren't going to look as good as they could and do as well as they could.

too many of the recent SU players do not actually fit the roles they are being asked to play...

I get it the system is good and important but if you don't have the right pieces don't force the issue.
Agree with that said that in another post

Beard has a lot of history with Tech, so I don't think he's going anywhere for a while ... unless someone comes in with giant bags of money. He's already among the highest paid coaches and Texas Tech is definitely going to put a new contract in front of him as soon as he steps off the plane from MN.

Hot take incoming: These modified pack-line defenses have been doing pretty well recently as a scheme and don't rely on having 6'5" SFs playing guard.

Beard has a lot of history with Tech, so I don't think he's going anywhere for a while ... unless someone comes in with giant bags of money. He's already among the highest paid coaches and Texas Tech is definitely going to put a new contract in front of him as soon as he steps off the plane from MN.

Hot take incoming: These modified pack-line defenses have been doing pretty well recently as a scheme and don't rely on having 6'5" SFs playing guard.

Agree. Not sure how many realize but he signed a 6 year extension worth more than $3 million after last season and agree that he'll get a raise again. Schools that really want him will pay for him, but that's not chump change.

Yeah this is why the only school that I think can take him will be Texas. Some of these big football schools have really stepped up theirs game investing in basketball.

Beard is on record as saying his biggest skill is getting diverse parts to work together. This team with the transfers, and low star recruits is a perfect example. I also think it helps to get by in when you don't start the season with a sure fire NBA lottery pick. I also don't think the kid who is now being hyped as a lottery pick is ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom