Thank you Eric Dungey... | Syracusefan.com

Thank you Eric Dungey...

Rocco

Watching you.
This kid is a warrior in every sense of the word.

With comparisons to McNabb, I'd say that Dungey's efforts were even that much more impressive. Had Dungey been surrounded by the better overall talent that McNabb had, there'd be a few more wins. There were so many plays that defied the odds... runs that somehow got extended by a yard or two, passes that were lobbed after 5-6 seconds of scrambling, leaping defenders, taking big hits, getting his boys fired up and keeping them alive in the huddle, etc. The list can go on forever. When I saw him breakdown during the WVU presser, I felt like it was my own son up there. Most fans could probably say the same thing. His emotions caught me in the moment.

He is the epitome of being humble. Never cares about his own feats, but only about his team, their record and the morale. Kid could bask in the glory of all of his accomplishments, but his class act demeanor off the field skews away from that. He will get a chance to make his mark among the NFL decision-makers over the next several months, so hopefully he at least gets a chance. If not, the kid has coaching written all over him. I mean, just look at how much he took Tommy and Chance under his wing helping them understand the concepts and schemes of this challenging offense. Tommy was his fierce rival in practice this year, too!

Cuse fans were damn lucky to have this kid. The indefatigable work ethic in the weight room and on the training fields, the physical sacrifice battling through countless injuries, the willingness to stick with Babers and an entirely new system after Lester and Shafer were replaced, the constant fire that helped fuel him and his teammates to keep getting better, the fortitude and sheer toughness to get up and run back to the huddle after getting walloped stretching for yet another 1st down, the courage to keep competing when most fans had completely given up... it's truly inspiring. An unheralded kid out of Oregon, who looked more like a surfer than QB, agreed to take a chance across the country. An injury to Terrel Hunt a few snaps into Eric's first game and the rest is history. I'm cautiously optimistic the transition to the next QB will be seamless, but you cannot replace the competitive spirit and the athletic ability of an Eric Dungey. Kid was a frigging warrior.

Thank you, Eric Dungey, for being a stellar ambassador for this program and community. You played a huge role in getting Cuse Football back on the map. People are now paying attention to us again. Best of luck in whatever you end up doing and I hope to see you coaching at Cuse after a rewarding NFL playing career. Cheers to you, kid!

usa_today_10359964.0.jpg

He is an accounting major. Competing in the corporate world might be of more interest than coaching?

He has interned with investment firms. Many more opportunities in that space IMO. The connections he would have with Cuse alumni will help him get in the door whatever he wants to do.

I hope he has the opportunity to at least hold a clipboard in the NFL for a few years like Nassib did.
Just to experience it, even if he doesn't ever "make it" per se.

Both of those guys were great students, and likely destined for mega success in the financial world.

Earlier in the season, there was a thread debating his placement amongst the top QBs in program history. I don't think that there's much doubt about him being somewhere in the top 3 anymore.

Very rewarding to see him finish a season, and be the straw stirring the drink that got our team back to a bowl victory / 10 win season.

Pretty amazing to think that he owns school passing records, but missed roughly the equivalent of full season over the course of his career. Or imagine if we'd been able to redshirt him that first year instead of having him take over as a starter a few snaps into his first game, and had him coming back next year. What might have been.

Last edited:
He has interned with investment firms. Many more opportunities in that space IMO. The connections he would have with Cuse alumni will help him get in the door whatever he wants to do.
Isn't that what Nassib does as well? Maybe they will work together or start their own firm.

Pretty amazing to think that he owns school passing records, but missed roughly the equivalent of full season over the course of his career. What might have been.

Had he played with McNabb's teammates, he would be #1 in my book. Regardless, I still consider him easily in the Top 3 and you could flip flop any of them.

Had he not missed 12 games or so, his passing and rushing records would be even more absurd.

On top of everything else, he looks like a Hollywood movie star.

Earlier in the season, there was a thread debating his placement amongst the top QBs in program history. I don't think that there's much doubt about him being somewhere in the top 3 anymore.

Very rewarding to see him finish a season, and be the straw stirring the drink that got our team back to a bowl victory / 10 win season.

Pretty amazing to think that he owns school passing records, but missed roughly the equivalent of full season over the course of his career. Or imagine if we'd been able to redshirt him that first year instead of having him take over as a starter a few snaps into his first game, and had him coming back next year. What might have been.

Yes, missing so many games and yet setting so many records is truly amazing.

With comparisons to McNabb, I'd say that Dungey's efforts were even that much more impressive. Had Dungey been surrounded by the better overall talent that McNabb had, there'd be a few more wins. There were so many plays that defied the odds... runs that somehow got extended by a yard or two, passes that were lobbed after 5-6 seconds of scrambling, leaping defenders, taking big hits, getting his boys fired up and keeping them alive in the huddle, etc. The list can go on forever. When I saw him breakdown during the WVU presser, I felt like it was my own son up there. Most fans could probably say the same thing. His emotions caught me in the moment.

He is the epitome of being humble. Never cares about his own feats, but only about his team, their record and the morale. Kid could bask in the glory of all of his accomplishments, but his class act demeanor off the field skews away from that. He will get a chance to make his mark among the NFL decision-makers over the next several months, so hopefully he at least gets a chance. If not, the kid has coaching written all over him. I mean, just look at how much he took Tommy and Chance under his wing helping them understand the concepts and schemes of this challenging offense. Tommy was his fierce rival in practice this year, too!

Cuse fans were damn lucky to have this kid. The indefatigable work ethic in the weight room and on the training fields, the physical sacrifice battling through countless injuries, the willingness to stick with Babers and an entirely new system after Lester and Shafer were replaced, the constant fire that helped fuel him and his teammates to keep getting better, the fortitude and sheer toughness to get up and run back to the huddle after getting walloped stretching for yet another 1st down, the courage to keep competing when most fans had completely given up... it's truly inspiring. An unheralded kid out of Oregon, who looked more like a surfer than QB, agreed to take a chance across the country. An injury to Terrel Hunt a few snaps into Eric's first game and the rest is history. I'm cautiously optimistic the transition to the next QB will be seamless, but you cannot replace the competitive spirit and the athletic ability of an Eric Dungey. Kid was a frigging warrior.

Thank you, Eric Dungey, for being a stellar ambassador for this program and community. You played a huge role in getting Cuse Football back on the map. People are now paying attention to us again. Best of luck in whatever you end up doing and I hope to see you coaching at Cuse after a rewarding NFL playing career. Cheers to you, kid!

usa_today_10359964.0.jpg

It seems like yesterday that T Hunt went down and Eric Dungey entered the game against Rhode Island.

He was a terrific player from the very start.

The disgraceful head shot he took against CMU the following week still really bothers me.

Last edited:
If given a shot by some NFL team Eric would make the most of it...that's just the kind of man he is!! Stories about him will be told to our children, then their children, etc. He is what legends are made of. I wish him the best in all that he attempts in life.

It seems like yesterday that T Hunt went down and Eric Dungey entered the game against Rhode Island.

He was a terrific play from the very start.

The disgraceful head shot he took against CMU the following week still really bothers me.

That cheap shot is the only thing Stanziek will EVER be known for.

If given a shot by some NFL team Eric would make the most of it...that's just the kind of man he is!! Stories about him will be told to our children, then their children, etc. He is what legends are made of. I wish him the best in all that he attempts in life.

I have already found myself telling the stories.

We'll be talking about him like we still talk about McNabb and Donnie Mac, 20, 30 years later...

usa_today_10359964.0.jpg

AMEN, and again TY Tim Lester for sifting through all those qb tapes, over 100 and discovering ED. ED was 6'3" 180# and a track guy. Raw as a QB but TL saw his potential and set up Cuse FB for the next 4 years. The thought of Cuse FB wo ED and 4 years of qb experimentation makes my head spin.

I hope he has the opportunity to at least hold a clipboard in the NFL for a few years like Nassib did.
Just to experience it, even if he doesn't ever "make it" per se.

Both of those guys were great students, and likely destined for mega success in the financial world.

He will get an extensive look. Whether or not he can parlay this into finding a team remains to be seen. He has the look and above-average athletic ability, just comes down to which GM and coach want to give him a shot.

If not, would not be surprised to see him become a GA.

When ED first stepped on campus, I don’t think anyone would have predicted the success he has had to date. To come in and compete, learn the playbook, and work his way up to #2 behind T. Hunt, was unimaginable. He was only on campus a few weeks before he became a four-year starter.

I don’t know if ED will make it in the NFL or not. I’ve never been very good at making accurate predictions on that subject. But I will say, I would never bet against this kid. And if Vegas were to offer odds on whether or not he will make a roster, I would put the money on him.

He will get an extensive look. Whether or not he can parlay this into finding a team remains to be seen. He has the look and above-average athletic ability, just comes down to which GM and coach want to give him a shot.

For me, the only question is arm strength.

I'm curious - why?

By all accounts Dungey's a smart guy who majored in a serious program. Seems that he could start his career with fewer hours a week and a much larger paycheck rather than putting in hard hours of thankless work as a GA.

I'm curious - why?

By all accounts Dungey's a smart guy who majored in a serious program. Seems that he could start his career with fewer hours a week and a much larger paycheck rather than putting in hard hours of thankless work as a GA.

Eric is an accounting major, but the major that leads to a CPA , not general accounting. He needs more schooling since it’s a 4 1/2 - 5 year program I believe. Maybe he does a year of GA to get that paid for if the NFL doesn’t work out.

Eric is an accounting major, but the major that leads to a CPA , not general accounting. He needs more schooling since it’s a 4 1/2 - 5 year program I believe. Maybe he does a year of GA to get that paid for if the NFL doesn’t work out.

Don't kids usually go to summer school to get ahead on classes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom