Thanks Dickie V | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Thanks Dickie V

He hasn't been to Syracuse for a game in 6 years. Now, yes, his health has been down. But it was clear to me that this was a special occasion arranged by Wildhack.

He’s done other games this year.

1) Prominent people were in town because a Saturday home game against Duke is our biggest game of the year. I know, “they’re not really a rival”, blah blah blah. They’re the biggest brand in college hoops and that’s just the reality of it.

2) No one told Dickie V. what to say. That’s not how things work. He knows what’s going on here and his comments are his own.
And he 100% didnt hear it from JW

I didn't even find Vitale's comments to be that critical, to be honest. The immediate reactions to those 2 press conferences were much harsher. I felt like Vitale was basically saying, "hey, it's time; NIL has changed basketball; Jimmy's given his whole career to this town and this university, etc."
I'm sure if the game was competitive he'd probably be saying the old man still has fight in him, or something to that effect.

Regardless, nobody in America was watching with 2:00 left in the game when he said that.

I suppose they didn't talk AT ALL about the program when Wildhack took Vitale to dinner the night before the game.
Vitale probably brought it up within the first 5 minutes of them talking.

In no way am I a part of the conspiracy theory that Wildhack set the whole evening up so that Vitale would do a "hit piece" on Boeheim. Although, I am not ruling out that Vitale could be bought for a free plate of lasagna. Vitale has always given this opinion on these type of topics regardless of anyone having to ask for it.

I'm sure if the game was competitive he'd probably be saying the old man still has fight in him, or something to that effect.

Regardless, nobody in America was watching with 2:00 left in the game when he said that.

That's very funny, but actually very true, which is also very sad.

never ever ever a dukie vee fan. admire his enthusiasm and glad his health is improving and appreciate all he's done to raise money for cancer research but i simply can't stand listening to him call games . never have. his schtick is annoying to no end. name drop the PTPers and talk about anything else than what is in front of him. he long ago became a parody of himself . some people enjoy it. great. i for one never ever ever did. with that said i wish him well doing what he loves to do. but he really sounds vocally like he should hang em up health wise. enjoy retirement.

Anybody watching at home notice the assistants on the bench? I thought Gerry looked beyond pissed that we're losing. More like I'm sick of being here and going through this. Probably nothing but just my opinion.
yes, been noticing that for awhile with the assistants, long faces looking frustrated

Anybody watching at home notice the assistants on the bench? I thought Gerry looked beyond pissed that we're losing. More like I'm sick of being here and going through this. Probably nothing but just my opinion.
Gerry has looked that way all season. And also a lot of last season to the point that I wondered if he was going to be back this season. Maybe he stayed for JG3.

Tony Kornheiser on PTI tonight: "Nobody wants to follow Jim Boeheim. They want to follow the guy who follows Jim Boeheim."
That's why we need Rick Pitino for 2 years. JB tree, continuity, great coach, good recruiter, will get us back to relevance then hand it to the next guy.

Last edited:
No one told Dickie V. what to say. That’s not how things work. He knows what’s going on here and his comments are his own.

I’d agree with that…there’s no way he was specifically told to say something. However - it’s very possible things came up in a discussion that wasn’t off-the-record which he then used to help frame his comments on air. That is most definitely “how things work”.

The comments also could have been totally on his own and not related to any friendly conversations he had with anyone before the game. There’s no way we’re going to ever know the answer to which of the above is accurate - speculating or debating about it is pointless.

I suppose they didn't talk AT ALL about the program when Wildhack took Vitale to dinner the night before the game.
Im sure they talked a ton about the program. Im even more sure that JW didnt speak to Dick about JBs plans, and he sure as hell didnt ask him to say anything on air. Seriously, do you really think JW put Dick up to his comments.

I thought they looked disengaged. JB's not alone in this mess.

- Mentioned this on another thread: I don’t think Dickie V makes those comments unless JBs retirement is imminent. Just my opinion. Remember when Dickie V spouted off that the court should have JBs name on it?

If his retirement was imminent then he wouldn't have needed to make the comments at all then... right?

I wonder how Douche Vitale would feel if someone was commenting at a home Duke game talking about how he should retire from broadcasting because he's unbearable to listen to.

I'm sad about the state of the BB program and seeing the numbers on the slide is even more jarring. But I have to agree with blizz on this one and I've thought the program needed to move on from JB for at least the last few years.
The answer to your question is that there is a difference in expectations between being a broadcaster and being the head coach of SU basketball.

The answer to your question is that there is a difference in expectations between being a broadcaster and being the head coach of SU basketball.

Fair point. I just can't stand Dukie V so anything he says I hate.

Fair point. I just can't stand Dukie V so anything he says I hate.
I've softened on him over the years. In grad school, I sent him a letter partly as a joke telling him how I was an SU guy running the brackets contest at a rival school and that many of the others were Dookies and would therefore love an autographed item from him. He took it in stride and wrote me a nice note back with several items for the winners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom