Thanks Red | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thanks Red

Would have been great if Kiyan and Nigel attended the Miami game. Perfect environment and game ending for an interested recruit.

He has exceeded my expectations. I also think that he’s a couple of players away from being able to compete with the big boys.

I know the blowout losses are tough to take, but I also think to a degree that this team understands who they can, and cannot compete against. There’s no doubt that they kind of mail it in once they think they’re overmatched.

But if they sense, they have an ability to win a game, they’ve shown me ability to close out close games and take care of business against lesser teams.

There is nothing wrong with these outcomes for first year coach who’s taking over what was a program that let’s face it was in a sickly state for our expectations

He has exceeded my expectations. I also think that he’s a couple of players away from being able to compete with the big boys.

I know the blowout losses are tough to take, but I also think to a degree that this team understands who they can, and cannot compete against. There’s no doubt that they kind of mail it in once they think they’re overmatched.

But if they sense, they have an ability to win a game, they’ve shown me ability to close out close games and take care of business against lesser teams.

There is nothing wrong with these outcomes for first year coach who’s taking over what was a program that let’s face it was in a sickly state for our expectations

I enjoyed Red's comments in the post-game press conference, when discussing the final possession that led to the game winning shot -- which began with Judah dribbling into trouble as time nearly expired, then flinging a desperation skip pass across court to an unlikely shooter:

[paraphrasing]

"I called that play in the huddle during the timeout, and the players ran it exactly like I designed it."

He's got a good sense of humor about things.

The great thing about Red to me is everyone gets to play. He spreads out playing time masterfully. Our bench, which used to be nonexistent, is now our biggest asset.
He also doesn’t yank guys after one mistake. The guys don’t play scared and watching over their shoulders. They can actually go out and shoot the ball without getting an earful.

I’ve been back and forth on Red but I’m really enjoying him at the moment. Feels like we are back.

A lot of the people who were adamant that we hire from outside are going to be on Red’s @zz until he goes to a final four.

The rest of us will enjoy the ride. I think he’s off to a very good start. He has a deeply flawed team at 13-5.

It’s our best start through 18 games in 5 years.
I’m one of those guys that thought we should hire from outside. We are improving and have zero bad loses but we’ve also been curb stomped by every good team we’ve played. I’m not sold yet that he’s our coach for the long haul but I’m warming up to the idea. He desperately needs to find a center for next season and another Forward and we could be cooking with gas.

The great thing about Red to me is everyone gets to play. He spreads out playing time masterfully. Our bench, which used to be nonexistent, is now our biggest asset.
He also doesn’t yank guys after one mistake. The guys don’t play scared and watching over their shoulders. They can actually go out and shoot the ball without getting an earful.

I’ve been back and forth on Red but I’m really enjoying him at the moment. Feels like we are back.
I don’t know if we are “back” but I’m enjoying the games more. And at the end of the day this is supposed to be an entertainment product

KenPom currently projects a 20-win regular season for us and a +.500 ACC record. It's too early to say if that'll be enough to make the tournament (I'd probably lean no because of our relative lack of quality non-con wins and how bad the ACC is), but I think you take that from Autry in Year 1 without much of a second thought.

This plus a thousand… I actually try to watch most of the games because they are fun and I think they will win. I haven’t been able to say that for years.

If only these guys could shoot… they get a ton of open looks but the “shooters” don’t make them. This team would be so much harder to defend if there was someone to stretch the D.

I am excited to see where this thing goes with a full squad of Autry in players. I still would like to see more structure and more plays on offense… but I get that’s probably really hard to do when the D can just pack it in and not worry about guarding perimeter shots.

Don't sleep on Starling: Over his last 11 games, Starling is shooting 50.5% overall and 42.9% from 3 point range. Good for a Total Shooting of 59%. Even if you exclude his terrific last game where he shot 6 of 10 from 3 (because people always seem to want to exclude the best games when evaluating players) Starling's prior 10 games he shot 37.5% from 3 and 55.6% TS.

Those numbers are suddenly pretty good, many of those games against better competition.

Mintz, btw, had a 51% TS during those same 11 games, an 8-3 stretch where we've beaten some good teams, and only lost to excellent ones.

To be fair, his 1996 Final Four run with only 6 or 7 guys was what turned him 100% to the zone. Up to that year, he mixed it up, along with a full court press, not the trunk monkey disorganized press he used in the last 10 years. It used to be more like a 2-2-1 zone press 2 guys around the foul line, two more on the sidelines in front of the half court line, and then the eraser in the back.
I feel like he mixed it up a little after that though. I remember there being man, press and other things in 2000 with the senior year Etan, J Hart team. Regardless this season has been fun.

...and he let JJ play through "refinding his shot" post-injury.

It was but a few weeks ago where many were calling for JJ to be benched.

JJ is still a work in progress... but is looking night and day now that he's finding his catch-and-shoot rhythm.

It was but a few weeks ago where many were calling for JJ to be benched.
Some folks…? It’s as if they want athletes to be perfect in decisions, execution, and outcome. The also want things to occur on their timeline, reality be damned. Lots of babies thrown out with their bath water.
Those folks would have shut down the Sistine Chapel because Michelangelo was taking too long and wasn’t using paint.
Ideally, coaches are : 1) teachers, 2) mentors, 3) confidants and, lastly, basketball coaches.
The long term growth and best interests of the young men in their charge is far more important to them than the outcome of a game or season. (See Benny, as a prime example.) That will resonate with recruits and parents.
Look no further than our very own HCFB. He is preaching a lot of things outside of, and more important than, football. Syracuse University didn’t become better. Syracuse as a place to live didn’t become better. The message of the coach and his staff is what young men and their parents want.

It’s fair to complain after all of our hideous blowout losses. They’re embarrassing.

But I suspect theyre occurring because Red is trying to implement a system that’s different from the awful glacial ball we played the past few years. Grinding out ugly-as-sin 9 point losses isn’t really any better than losing by 25.
To the net it is

Some folks…? It’s as if they want athletes to be perfect in decisions, execution, and outcome. The also want things to occur on their timeline, reality be damned. Lots of babies thrown out with their bath water.
Those folks would have shut down the Sistine Chapel because Michelangelo was taking too long and wasn’t using paint.
Ideally, coaches are : 1) teachers, 2) mentors, 3) confidants and, lastly, basketball coaches.
The long term growth and best interests of the young men in their charge is far more important to them than the outcome of a game or season. (See Benny, as a prime example.) That will resonate with recruits and parents.
Look no further than our very own HCFB. He is preaching a lot of things outside of, and more important than, football. Syracuse University didn’t become better. Syracuse as a place to live didn’t become better. The message of the coach and his staff is what young men and their parents want.
You now have a number of new coaches up on the hill preaching the end game. Life lessons learned while in school, lead to a long and prosperous life.
Sports should be the avenue to a good life, not the be all.

I think people are seeing what they want to see, honestly, because they wanted to Boeheim fired so bad

Believe me, I understand that temptation.

We are better than last year. We are the same as the year before that. And then you have to go back to 1981-82 to find a worse team.

We are different and people are mistaking that for better.

I knew this thread would be dredged up...

People need to chill the F out, regardless of which side of the fence they sit on. We don't need a game by game back and forth yo-yo.
This x100. Pick a side of the fence and stick there. And if you’re b*tching about Red, wait until the end of the season please.

This x100. Pick a side of the fence and stick there. And if you’re b*tching about Red, wait until the end of the season please.
Thanks for asking so nicely but the answer is I've given your request a lot of thought and regretfully, i must say that it's crazy to ask people to wait until the end of the season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom