That might be the last Midnight Madness | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

That might be the last Midnight Madness

Dude, you didn't say "Black". You said "inner-city" trash.
Obviously, most everyone knew what you were referring to...so why not just say it?
My issue is with your perceived attempt to sugarcoat the OBVIOUS, doing a PC-inspired coded dance, instead of simply calling it what it was. If it was "clear who was involved", then where does the "inner-city" nonsense come from? Its a stereotypical, coded description thats full of politically correct nuance. Again, JMHO.

Inner city thugs and gangs are all different types of people not just Black. Most gangs I know of arent hanging out in Fayetville or Phoenix there in the inner city and all race groups. The fact you think the statment was stereotypical and politically correct makes zero sense it cant be both. The only person freeking out about it is you.

It was suppose be beefed up due to a sharp rise in fights and violence on and near campus. There was another stabbing near campus a bit ago and there are rumors about gang initiations.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

As a current student, I've been getting a couple emails each week about stabbings on Marshall or Thornden or the cemetary or people showing a knife or someone "forcibly touching" a girl before she punched him in the face and got away.

And yeah, supposedly the school just gave more money to the city to beef security up. They even had metal detectors for the One World concert. I don't know why they don't just use them for these things too. Literally took all of two seconds to get swiped.

Which was exactly my point.
I have yet to see those rioters be called "inner-city trash". "Hooligans", absolutely..."Ultras", most definitely.
Yet, the troublemakers last night were specifically "inner-city" trash?
Got it.

I do get your point I just don't like always assuming someones intentions via a message board post because it could just be myself reading it incorrectly.

Could just be different dialects as far as Vancouver and Europe as I don't live in either. Inner City trash didn't mean any specific skin color where I grew up and I was one of that group for a couple years and treated as and responded to accordingly as my piers of different ethnicities.

Perhaps we should just refer to the hooligans that ruined last nights proceedings from here out?

I do get your point I just don't like always assuming someones intentions via a message board post because it could just be myself reading it incorrectly.

Could just be different dialects as far as Vancouver and Europe as I don't live in either. Inner City trash didn't mean any specific skin color where I grew up and I was one of that group for a couple years and treated as and responded to accordingly as my piers of different ethnicities.

Perhaps we should just refer to the hooligans that ruined last nights proceedings from here out?
Agreed.
And assuming you are from the UK, you might have a different perspective when you hear the words "inner-city" or "urban" trash.
Frankly, its the PC sugar-coating that gets my goat.

And yeah, supposedly the school just gave more money to the city to beef security up. They even had metal detectors for the One World concert. I don't know why they don't just use them for these things too. Literally took all of two seconds to get swiped.

After waiting in line for almost 15 minutes.

After waiting in line for almost 15 minutes.

Yeah, but considering how quick the swipes were, I think that was just because of the massive amounts of people that all showed up at the same time.

Regardless, I'd much rather go through that than have to look over my shoulder and keep my head down walking around the Dome/campus.

Inner city thugs and gangs are all different types of people not just Black. Most gangs I know of arent hanging out in Fayetville or Phoenix there in the inner city and all race groups. The fact you think the statment was stereotypical and politically correct makes zero sense it cant be both. The only person freeking out about it is you.

Jeremy- we can agree to disagree here.
If you're insisting that your specific use of "inner city" trash was not PC-inspired, then fine.
Calling it as it is, regardless of sensibilities, always makes more sense to me.
WHERE those hooligans came from, ie; "inner city", as opposed to what..."suburban" trash- should've had no place in the discussion...IMO.
I saw it as an attempt, unintentional or not, to avoid calling things as they were, and doing a PC two-step.
Nuff' said.

Jeremy- we can agree to disagree here.
If you're insisting that your specific use of "inner city" trash was not PC-inspired, then fine.
Calling it as it is, regardless of sensibilities, always makes more sense to me.
WHERE those hooligans came from, ie; "inner city", as opposed to what..."suburban" trash- should've had no place in the discussion...IMO.
I saw it as an attempt, unintentional or not, to avoid calling things as they were, and doing a PC two-step.
Nuff' said.

It definitely wasnt PC inspired I have no issue placing blame where it lies but with Syracuse it can be a whole set of people involved. As someone who spent many a Sat night in Armory square I havce seen many fights involving whites, latinos and blacks. From what I was told about what happened it appeared to be inner city thugs/gangs that were involved and that appears to be true based on todays reporting. Either way its a sad day to be an SU fan.

Agreed.
And assuming you are from the UK, you might have a different perspective when you hear the words "inner-city" or "urban" trash.
Frankly, its the PC sugar-coating that gets my goat.

Ha! I'm from PA just a huge LFC supporter.

Suppose I just didn't grow up in an area with rampent racism oozing out of every statement. I'm aware there are plenty of folks like that around but being over PC and assuming every statement has racial connotations is one of my pet peaves. I'll call someone out when they step out of line but I don't assume immediately what was implied.

Someone being stabbed is terrible news, doesn't matter what color the assailent or the victim were.

Ha! I'm from PA just a huge LFC supporter.

Suppose I just didn't grow up in an area with rampent racism oozing out of every statement. I'm aware there are plenty of folks like that around but being over PC and assuming every statement has racial connotations is one of my pet peaves. I'll call someone out when they step out of line but I don't assume immediately what was implied.

Someone being stabbed is terrible news, doesn't matter what color the assailent or the victim were.

Again, it was more about the presumed PC, than the racism. Its more racist to sugarcoat language because of PC, than it is to be direct, IMO.
Btw- I grew up in NYC...in the suburbs. When we got into trouble as teenagers I don't remember ever being called "suburban" trash. Conversely, we'd heard of "trailer" trash, and "urban/inner city" trash...and no one needed to explain what those terms meant or what picture they painted. Different life experiences, I guess.
Either way, lets hope this sorta thing never happens again.

Dude, you didn't say "Black". You said "inner-city" trash.
Obviously, most everyone knew what you were referring to...so why not just say it?
My issue is with your perceived attempt to sugarcoat the OBVIOUS, doing a PC-inspired coded dance, instead of simply calling it what it was. If it was "clear who was involved", then where does the "inner-city" nonsense come from? What does their geographical location have to do with anything, other than to paint a picture without being upfront?
Its a stereotypical, coded description thats full of politically correct nuance. Again, JMHO.

Fwiw, syracuse's inner city issues due to "trash" is made up of black gangs, white gangs, latin gangs, mexican. The population is heavier black but the gang and other issues aren't solely one ethnic group.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Lets call this for what it is.

The folks referencing the 'not usual' crowd and talking about innercity people are talking about black people. Its dog-whistle racism only rivaled by the Republican Party.

That being said, I wish the campus police force was more dedicated to reducing crime than giving out parking tickets to law students.

It wasn't the usual crowd. That is a fact. I go to games. I've been to every MM at the Dome. This isn't racism. This isn't agenda driven. This is an educated, personal observation. I know what typical game crowds look like (and game crowds have all shapes sizes and colors). There was a distinctly different element there last evening. And it screamed gang.

It wasn't the usual crowd. That is a fact. I go to games. I've been to every MM at the Dome. This isn't racism. This isn't agenda driven. This is an educated, personal observation. I know what typical game crowds look like (and game crowds have all shapes sizes and colors). There was a distinctly different element there last evening. And it screamed gang.
The fact that the incident happened in the middle of the scrimmage, the main attraction, tells you it was not SU fans, and these individuals were not there for SU basketball. It was a free, social event. People went there to socialize, kind of like what happens to the State Fair after 8PM.

The fact that the incident happened in the middle of the scrimmage, the main attraction, tells you it was not SU fans, and these individuals were not there for SU basketball. It was a free, social event. People went there to socialize, kind of like what happens to the State Fair after 8PM.

agree 100%. The group just in front of me did nothing during intros, scrimmage, etc. but as soon as Wale came out, they stand up, dance, and act like a$$holes. Im all for having a good time, but a majority of that crowd was not there for basketball.

agree 100%. The group just in front of me did nothing during intros, scrimmage, etc. but as soon as Wale came out, they stand up, dance, and act like a$$holes. Im all for having a good time, but a majority of that crowd was not there for basketball.

Which explains the lousy reactions during player introductions. Hardly any cheers for DC2 and Grant. Sucked.

So you're saying that ushers approve of brawls and stabbings? Is this a logical thought?

Not saying they approve. I'm saying they were understaffed security wise and couldn't stop it.

Lets call this for what it is.

The folks referencing the 'not usual' crowd and talking about innercity people are talking about black people. Its dog-whistle racism only rivaled by the Republican Party.

That being said, I wish the campus police force was more dedicated to reducing crime than giving out parking tickets to law students.

GTFOH with that nonsense. I've been to hundreds of SU games in my life. I know what an SU fan looks like and I know what someone who is only there to cause trouble looks like (white, black or whatever).

It's starting to get kinda scary on campus here. Stabbings at Acropolis, school advising us not to go down there at night anymore, gang initiation where you have to kill an SU student to get in, and now on my way out of the dome, I have the pleasure of walking past puddles of blood and get shoved out the doors by cops.

And this came just after I had explained to my parents about how it's safe for me to walk down to Marshall at night and grab something to eat.

Needless to say they don't really feel comfortable with me wandering around campus on my own anymore.

Did they even catch the kids that did it? A friend of mine said that when the cops turned their sirens on, he saw two hooded kids freak out and take off sprinting and that was the last he saw of them.
well' let's tear down the barrier and make SU more accessible to the south side neighborhoods, where crime and violence are the most rampant in the city. Good job Nancy.

The reference to Al Sharpton was uncalled for and ignorant. Most black Americans don't follow around Al or Jesse Jackson like lemmings. Blame the corporate media news channels for ringing them up to give their takes on matters - not black citizens in general.

I usually stay out
Not to belabor this any more than I have to, but it was sketchy in its use of coded language.
One can express a certain POV without necessarily being straightforward, or using blunt language.
That tends to make it more disingenuous, IMO, hence the desire on my part to want to "call it out".
You wanna say "black thugs caused trouble at the Dome", then do so.
None of this bogus "inner-city" trash (wink wink) BS.

I usually stay out of this type of conversation because it is so situation specific. Imperial Orange was talking with Vancouver in mind. The “inner-city trash“ comment would be white focused in this case and that’s the reason for the incredulity.

when argument in doubt, use race card

No doubt. Calling a spade a spade on such a sensitive subject is innately risky, regardless of what the data may say to suggest its objectiveness/validity...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom