That might be the last Midnight Madness | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

That might be the last Midnight Madness

This kind of talk makes me miss doing talk radio.

Generally, the victims of black ("inner city") violence are black people themselves.

BUT...getting back to arena matters...here's the best laugh out loud PC issue I've seen in a long time, courtesy of today's NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/the_rap_on_barc_ays_qA5PQ5IxhHQ4hl2N0du6oK

Jim Reith? Ive wondered where you've been

It's funny that the NY POST story is the opposite of PC. They actually said "hey we're gonna use metal detectors on a group of people more statistically prone to violence". Easy call

Quite embarrassing this occurs just days after the DALAI LAMA PEACE TOUR in the same location

Fyi, we have all types of trash here, black, white, latino, asian. Cuse doesn't discriminate.

This is on SU. Beef up security. Have a cop every 10 feet. This wasn't a November game against the Bonnies. It was a free Lil Wayne concert. Use your damn heads. Staff it thusly.

Don't even blame the maggots who came there to fight and stab. As Chris Rock once said about the tiger who attacked Sigfried (or was it Roy?), "That tiger didn't go crazy, that tiger went tiger!" Those people, yes, those people, black, white, Samoan, whatever... acted how they normally act. And SU was unprepared. Every rap concert in America has metal detectors and/or pat downs and tons of cops/security. Why would free Wale on a Friday night in the Dome be any different?

Fyi, we have all types of trash here, black, white, latino, asian. Cuse doesn't discriminate.

This is on SU. Beef up security. Have a cop every 10 feet. This wasn't a November game against the Bonnies. It was a free Lil Wayne concert. Use your damn heads. Staff it thusly.

Don't even blame the maggots who came there to fight and stab. As Chris Rock once said about the tiger who attacked Sigfried (or was it Roy?), "That tiger didn't go crazy, that tiger went tiger!" Those people, yes, those people, black, white, Samoan, whatever... acted how they normally act. And SU was unprepared. Every rap concert in America has metal detectors and/or pat downs and tons of cops/security. Why would free Wale on a Friday night in the Dome be any different?
Solution: charge $5 and have Billy Joel perform next year.

People that were there said besides the stabbing of a 25 year old guy, there were numerous fights and a pretty big one in the hallway on the 2nd/3rd level. All local teens and young adults. Many complaints of a out lack of security. All the local media outlets are still there outside the dome. The event was ended about 30 minutes early.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
We also saw a fight outside 112. My wife and I walked the dome last night and what we witnessed was the southside make the dome their house and it was intimidating for many. I watched a mother and a 6'9" or so, young black man, that may have been a recruit, walk by looking very concerned as there was a fight in progress with a crowd circled around the fight. If that was a recruit walking by, ugh, as I'm sure it left an impression on this mother and son that they won't forget. My wife grew up in Rochester (Marshall and Greece) and even she was uncomfortable last night with the crowd. $20-$100 per ticket next year with assigned seats sounds ok and we can donate 50% of the funds to cancer research, just lock the dome back down.

$10 a ticket. Hire a local group like UTG or Kane to perform.

Solution: charge $5 and have Billy Joel perform next year.
How about "Up with People" or are you too young to remember them.

51keYlGGAOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

$20 a ticket and bring Metallica I heard certain elements don't like metal. ;)

Let's cut the BS. A very popular rapper was playing, it was a free event, and it was late at night. The ghetto crowd showed up and someone stepped on someone's sneaker.

This is 100% on the university. They screwed up. Bad. After the horrible publicity we received time and time again last year, this just can't be defended.

To top it off this is supposed to be a major recruiting event. Boeheim can talk all he wants about negative recruiting not hurting us, but it does. Syracuse has a reputation as a good school and for a recruit and his family to show up and actually feel uncomfortable is the worst thing that can happen. I am very disappointed in the university right now.

Just give out free tickets to students, season ticket/ticket package holders. Have others available for like $10. Hightened security.

What's happening to SU is pretty sad though. Was just there last weekend and was told not to walk down Marshall after the bars closed. Bizarre.

Just give out free tickets to students, season ticket/ticket package holders. Have others available for like $10. Hightened security.

What's happening to SU is pretty sad though. Was just there last weekend and was told not to walk down Marshall after the bars closed. Bizarre.

Whoa! That is disturbing. I lived off of Ostrom my senior year and was there when an SU grad student was shot in the head when he knocked on the door of a townhouse because he was working as a delivery person for a restaurant. Killed instantly. He either knocked on the wrong door or he heard noises coming from the townhouse and was concerned and then knocked. There was a burglary in progress and the guy that opened the door shot him in the eye. Apartments and houses off of Ostrom were always considered dangerous because of the park. Marshall st., however, was NEVER problem. Time to beef up security. Jeez, I wonder how vulnerable South Campus is considering its so isolated...

Whoa! That is disturbing. I lived off of Ostrom my senior year and was there when an SU grad student was shot in the head when he knocked on the door of a townhouse because he was working as a delivery person for a restaurant. Killed instantly. He either knocked on the wrong door or he heard noises coming from the townhouse and was concerned and then knocked. There was a burglary in progress and the guy that opened the door shot him in the eye. Apartments and houses off of Ostrom were always considered dangerous because of the park. Marshall st., however, was NEVER problem. Time to beef up security. Jeez, I wonder how vulnerable South Campus is considering its so isolated...

There have always been robberies on South, but not much violence. Bnoro and I watched his bike get stolen from inside my apartment two years ago, but we got it back.

The Marshall St stuff is bad though. Apparently townies just meet up at Acropolis and brawl. There were a few fights there last year that I remember (I don't know why always Acropolis as opposed to the other dozen restaurants), but it's gotten out of control this year apparently.

Let's cut the BS. A very popular rapper was playing, it was a free event, and it was late at night. The ghetto crowd showed up and someone stepped on someone's sneaker.

This is 100% on the university. They screwed up. Bad. After the horrible publicity we received time and time again last year, this just can't be defended.

To top it off this is supposed to be a major recruiting event. Boeheim can talk all he wants about negative recruiting not hurting us, but it does. Syracuse has a reputation as a good school and for a recruit and his family to show up and actually feel uncomfortable is the worst thing that can happen. I am very disappointed in the university right now.

It's on the U only because they created an event that attracts the wrong crowd.

If Mexican Mudd is still floating around, let them play, smoke week, drink beer and be happy. Oh Lord

That's inexcusable. If the immediate off-campus area is considered dangerous then the school and the city is in for a world of hurt.

I think the university needs to re-evaluate whether or not it is smart to invest dollars into creating a relationship with the city. Hell, why should a private university be investing in its relationship with a municipality? Shouldnt it be the other way around? Is the city of Syracuse broke? Close to broke? During my years as a student, I had absolutely no involvement with the local community...unless, of course, I count going to places like Tully's on occasion...or a grocery store...or Angotti's (great chicken parms) and a few other restaurants. What the hell does the university expect students to do? An overwhelming number of students dont come from the area and dont ever come back except for an occasional weekend visit. To hell with the idea that SU needs to open itself up to the local community - we are talking about 18-21 year olds who are more interested in an education and partying than they are making sure they have a positive impact upon a community that they have never been tied to prior to being a student and likely never will upon graduation.

It's starting to get kinda scary on campus here. Stabbings at Acropolis, school advising us not to go down there at night anymore, gang initiation where you have to kill an SU student to get in, and now on my way out of the dome, I have the pleasure of walking past puddles of blood and get shoved out the doors by cops.

Do you have any more info on the bolded portion? After reading your post, I mentioned it in passing to some fellow alums and they were aghast at that part.

On a somewhat related note... has anybody walked up University Ave. lately? They just spent all that money to gentrify it, and literally overnight half the new lights were knocked out, all the benches and new signage were tagged with graffiti, and all the pretty new stuff was defaced or destroyed. Someone said it best earlier in this thread: "this is why we can't have nice things."

This thread is pushing me towards not allowing my son to go to SU if in fact that is what he decides on in 2 years.

This thread is pushing me towards not allowing my son to go to SU if in fact that is what he decides on in 2 years.

This thread probably needs to be locked at this point. Allegations that gangs need to kill SU students. Really. I'm sure the city and the university will react to what happened. If fact, if anything, they will probably overreact. Kind of like in Albany where they have outlawed Kegs and Eggs and other festivities during the St Paddy's day parade due to the students become raucous. Although it seems tame compared to what some think in Syracuse.

This thread probably needs to be locked at this point. Allegations that gangs need to kill SU students. Really. I'm sure the city and the university will react to what happened. If fact, if anything, they will probably overreact. Kind of like in Albany where they have outlawed Kegs and Eggs and other festivities during the St Paddy's day parade due to the students become raucous. Although it seems tame compared to what some think in Syracuse.

Yeah I don't buy the whole "gang initiation" thing. Sounds like an old urban legend that SU students are making up. Unfortunately, college students have always been an easy target for robberies and whatnot up on the Hill.

So they did end the event a half hour early. I thought I heard on espn3 that Triche and Southerland were going to do more dunks.

So they did end the event a half hour early. I thought I heard on espn3 that Triche and Southerland were going to do more dunks.

Yeah they did. I know that Wale was supposed to come out and perform again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom