That was an historically bad UCONN team... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

That was an historically bad UCONN team...

Brissett would be the best player on UConn. (either that or right behind Adams)

I came into last night thinking we had the best player on the court in Battle, but Adams and Larrier were 2nd and 3rd. Brissett is definitely better than Larrier already.

I like Larrier. Adams looks slow and heavy. Possibly lost a step? Adams made some wide open shots when Frank or Tyus forgot about him. I love Tyus but at times Brissett will make an awesome play like that left handed drive and looks like the best player on the court.

This is what happens when you miss the last lifeboat in conference realignment. We all saw it coming but Ollie really exacerbated the decline by having no clue whatsoever.

In a weird way, the women's team being so good hurts them. Why go watch a borderline awful men's team when you can watch a women's team win 99 out of 100 or something at probably at half the price. Neither team has players who can dunk a basketball so what's the difference?

They have to fire Ollie. HAVE TO. Very clear last night that his players have already tuned him out.
state, uni & ad are all in bad financial state & they gave Ollie an extension last year with reported $10m buyout. can't afford to fire him.

I have no idea what happened to our rival to our east, but there is no defending the product that Uconn is putting on the floor. No size, no direction, no fight.

Now I know why there putting 3800 people in the seats there. Calhoun had to be out of his mind watching in person last night.

They have to fire Ollie. HAVE TO. Very clear last night that his players have already tuned him out.

I'm pissed because it's taken the fun out of beating them. If Frank doesnt puke on his Nikes like he did last night, that would have been your run of the mill, no effort, 25 point blowout.

They have no size. None! How does that happen? There is no reason their recruiting should be this bad no matter what conference they're in.

I watched Rutgers hang with Mich. State last night. Pikiell has them moving in the right direction. They would definitely beat UCONN right now. If I were Uconn, he's the guy I'd go after, make your team better and wound a team that's stealing your recruits.
UConn would probably love to fire Ollie but they bizarrely signed him to a big extension and will have to pay a huge payout to get rid of him. Believe the figure is $10 million.

They have no money. Can’t do it.

Ollie has 2 good players in Adams and Larrier, then a HUGE dropoff in talent after that... then for some reason half of the game Ollie ran his offense through Diarra and Cobb... comical.

I thought overall SU played pretty terrible last night. If we played like that against Kansas it would have been a 90-45 type of game. Honestly we should have won by at least 25 last night, UCONN is THAT bad.

Brissett’s playing like a top 10 freshman.

Ollie’s gotta stop wearing his ass for a hat.

Why would a coach leave a P5 conference for something less?

UConn is a has been, once was like some of the rest of the teams in the AAC.
to be fair, he's talking about Rutgers - not a real P5 team - so even if UConn is in the crapper, it's more of a lateral move with a bit more prestige

UConn can't attract elite recruits to play in the AAC. Playing in the Big East was a magnet to attract talent. The longer they stay in the AAC the worse they will get. Their problem isn't Ollie.

UConn can't attract elite recruits to play in the AAC. Playing in the Big East was a magnet to attract talent. The longer they stay in the AAC the worse they will get. Their problem isn't Ollie.
I don't buy this. Cincy has no problems recruiting from the AAC and Temple seems to roll along no matter what conference they play in. And the AAC is not that bad. In addition tot he other schools mentioned Memphis and Tulsa have traditionally fielded strong teams no matter who their coach is or conference affiliation. Ollie seems clueless. Nice guy, but clueless.

All I needed to see to know that Kevin Ollie is way over his skis was to see him wearing a tie clip improperly.

After seeing that...wasn't surprised he ran his offense through his least talented players and couldn't make the in-game adjustment to defend layups, let alone make us pay for Frank Howard's epic regression or take advantage of a guy that weighs 150 pounds getting minutes at center

If Frank doesnt puke on his Nikes like he did last night, that would have been your run of the mill, no effort, 25 point blowout.

Literally or figuratively? I don't recall any post-game mention of him feeling ill. I sort of hope he was, because this would help explain his sub-par performance last night.

I have no idea what happened to our rival to our east, but there is no defending the product that Uconn is putting on the floor. No size, no direction, no fight.

Now I know why there putting 3800 people in the seats there. Calhoun had to be out of his mind watching in person last night.

I'm pissed because it's taken the fun out of beating them. If Frank doesnt puke on his Nikes like he did last night, that would have been your run of the mill, no effort, 25 point blowout.

They have no size. None! How does that happen? There is no reason their recruiting should be this bad no matter what conference they're in.

I watched Rutgers hang with Mich. State last night. Pikiell has them moving in the right direction. They would definitely beat UCONN right now. If I were Uconn, he's the guy I'd go after, make your team better and wound a team that's stealing your recruits.
I agree with everything except taking the fun out of beating them. It was still fun for me.

state, uni & ad are all in bad financial state & they gave Ollie an extension last year with reported $10m buyout. can't afford to fire him.

Oh dear how very sad.

Xmas comes early this year

A couple of seasons ago, I [along with a couple of other posters] opined that UConn would slowly descend into mid-major status, that the recruiting advantages they enjoyed as a member of the Big East would eventually decline, and that their recruiting would slip once the "new reality" of their conference affiliation being sunk in, and the Big East days got further and further in the rear view mirror.

That sentiment was greeted with derision from several posters, who vehemently rejected the notion that UConn would ever be a mid major, that their past success would enable them to hang on, etc.

Guess what? They're a mid major. The downward spiral was inevitable and predictable.

And it couldn't happen to a nicer fanbase. I hope that they never, under any circumstances, get into a P5 conference. And now that their lone bargaining chip [success in men's hoops] is a thing of the past, they have ZERO benefit to offer any P5. Their only chance was to strike when the iron was hot several years ago, but nobody wanted them.

Last edited:
They are done - and will revert to what they were before Calhoun. He was/is a jerk but what Calhoun accomplished there is amazing and quite frankly continued the amazing run of the Big East to the end of the road. The arrogance of their fans makes me enjoy their fall, but what was accomplished there was truly unreal.

Calhoun is the best coach of his generation. And it really pains me to say that. UConn was a nothing program before he arrived. Can't say that about Duke, SU, etc.

A couple of seasons ago, I [along with a couple of other posters] opined that UConn would slowly descend into mid-major status, that the recruiting advantages they enjoyed as a member of the Big East would eventually decline, and that their recruiting would slip once the "new reality" of their conference affiliation being sunk in, and the Big East days got further and further in the rear view mirror.

That sentiment was greeted with derision from several posters, who vehemently rejected the notion that UConn would ever be a mid major, that their past success would enable them to hang on, etc.

Guess what? They're a mid major. The downward spiral was inevitable and predictable.

And it couldn't happen to a nicer fanbase. I hope that they never, under any circumstances, get into a P5 conference. And now that their lone bargaining chip [success in men's hoops] is a thing of the past, they have ZERO benefit to offer any P5. Their only chance was to strike when the iron was hot several years ago, but nobody wanted them.

I'm really considering stepping off the "we should play uconn every year" train.

At this point it's meh if we win and embarrassing if we lose.

They haven’t been able to recruit at the same level since the breakup of the Big East. And they dealt with a slew of season ending injuries to their best players last season, so they lost major development opportunities, and now Gilbert is injured again. They also have no size, as you said, partially because of injury but also because of recruiting deficiencies. UConn just shouldn’t be this bad. If Cincy, Gonzaga and Wichita State can have good programs in lesser leagues, so can UConn.
Ollie has 2 good players in Adams and Larrier, then a HUGE dropoff in talent after that... then for some reason half of the game Ollie ran his offense through Diarra and Cobb... comical.

I thought overall SU played pretty terrible last night. If we played like that against Kansas it would have been a 90-45 type of game. Honestly we should have won by at least 25 last night, UCONN is THAT bad.
A bit hyperbolic re: Cuse’s play last night. Our defense was very good and we rebound the hell out of the ball. But the offense struggled especially Frank.

I'm really considering stepping off the "we should play uconn every year" train.

At this point it's meh if we win and embarrassing if we lose.
I want to continue to play them semi- regularly. But with how good Cuse should be next season, I’d like to see us sub out UConn for a Villlanova game at the Garden instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom