That was an historically bad UCONN team... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

That was an historically bad UCONN team...

I don't buy this. Cincy has no problems recruiting from the AAC and Temple seems to roll along no matter what conference they play in. And the AAC is not that bad. In addition tot he other schools mentioned Memphis and Tulsa have traditionally fielded strong teams no matter who their coach is or conference affiliation. Ollie seems clueless. Nice guy, but clueless.
Agreed. Yes, they probably won’t ever be an elite national power again like they once were, but they should be able to compete for AAC titles. And they’re not even coming close to that right now.

I suppose Battle only had 22 points or whatever. Not like he had anything to do with it.

Were I a betting man, I'm guessing he's saying Battle is going to do the normal Battle things, which he did. They lost because in addition to Battle doing what he does nearly every game, two guys (really just one when you think about it) who don't typically beat the other team stepped up pretty large (which we have seen Brissett do before).

when I closed my eyes last night the last thing I pictured before I fell asleep was MSGSeven crying in his mothers basement staring at a picture of Tyler Olander wondering what happened..god I hate Uconn

Why would a coach leave a P5 conference for something less?

UConn is a has been, once was like some of the rest of the teams in the AAC.

R U T G E R S

Brissett’s playing like a top 10 freshman.

Ollie’s gotta stop wearing his ass for a hat.

He's shooting 37% from 2 and 23% from 3. He's absolutely not playing like a top 10 freshman, that's ridiculous.

Despite the two national titles UConn has not been a very good program since 2009. Including this year, they will have made the tournament 4 times in 9 years, with seeds of #3, #7, #9, #9. Nothing impressive above that... what they did with those seeds is impressive. So maybe it should not be surprising that they are just a middle of the pack AAC team at this point.

I will say they were an elite force from the 1994 to 2009, an extended run of 16 years where they were a #1 or a #2 seed for 10 of those years. That is a stretch that Syracuse never equalled.

He's shooting 37% from 2 and 23% from 3. He's absolutely not playing like a top 10 freshman, that's ridiculous.
He’s nearly averaging a double double. Name me ten freshman you’d rather have handling the shots hes forced to take in our offense.

He’s nearly averaging a double double. Name me ten freshman you’d rather have handling the shots hes forced to take in our offense.

Give me a break, he's not forced to take anything.

UConn doesn’t have any excuse.
Their conference can suck and the program should be okay as Gonzaga/Big East schools/Wichita State have done fine without being in a P5 conference.
We have had sanctions kill our depth they have self wallow for the fall of their program.

Ollie is best hope for stability but man he sucks in-game coaching with his constipated scowl and insane barking at refs.

The program should beg Ed Cooley but he won’t touch that job.
I bet Calhoun comes out of retirement with another head coach in waiting as a lead assistant to save the program and his legacy.

Their conference can suck and the program should be okay as Gonzaga/Big East schools/Wichita State have done fine without being in a P5 conference.
We have had sanctions kill our depth they have self wallow for the fall of their program.

Ollie is best hope for stability but man he sucks in-game coaching with his constipated scowl and insane barking at refs.

I bet Calhoun comes out of retirement with another head coach in waiting as a lead assistant to save the program and his legacy.
Ollie's problems are a lot more than in game managing. Players leaving the program, long time coaches getting fired, he may have more problems off the court than on. And that is saying something. I don't see Calhoun coming back. I also don't think that UConn has the dough to fire Ollie. They owe him a lot of money and the state is in rough shape.

If Calhoun wants to protect his legacy the best thing he can do is stay as far away from that program as he sat from the team on Tuesday night. He should start by giving up that consultant gig before he starts to get painted with the taint.

Give me a break, he's not forced to take anything.
I expect the 2-point % will improve as he gains experience (shot selection) and learns how to finish through contact. On the 3 pointers? That may have to wait until next season.

His defense has been more than acceptable for a freshman--especially as concerns defensive rebounding and shot blocking.

i went to bed before the second half tip knowing we'd win. that shouldn't happen with a program like UCONN. kinda sad.

Ollie's problems are a lot more than in game managing. Players leaving the program, long time coaches getting fired, he may have more problems off the court than on. And that is saying something. I don't see Calhoun coming back. I also don't think that UConn has the dough to fire Ollie. They owe him a lot of money and the state is in rough shape.

Ollie is gradually developing into the hoops' program's Diaco. Without the overt craziness, but still.

Some opined they wouldn't dig deep to fire Diaco either, but they did...at a smaller payout.

Not sure how Ollie's buyout is structured, but I imagine two more bad years and a payout down to $5m or so might make it tempting for them.

we should absolutely continue to keep scheduling UCONN...just like Colgate

They need a B1G invite badly. Too bad their football program doesn't provide the B1G an incentive to do that.

They should de-emphasize football and play in the Big East

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom