That was not a Catch | Syracusefan.com

That was not a Catch

CousCuse

Comin in Hot
The long pass that the QB threw to Flowers, I think, was not a catch. He never had real possession of the ball on the way down and it came out when he hit the ground. How many calls like this go against the Orange every week, and it surely would have been called incomplete if it was a Syracuse offensive play.

The long pass that the QB threw to Flowers, I think, was not a catch. He never had real possession of the ball on the way down and it came out when he hit the ground. How many calls like this go against the Orange every week, and it surely would have been called incomplete if it was a Syracuse offensive play.

after the multiple replays, I thought he caught it.

The key here is you say "I think." There was nothing definitive about any of it, and key elements of the entire catch process were hard to see. It's not about whether it was or it wasn't in the replay process - it's about if it was provable. And based on the evidence available, the call basically had to stand.

the ball ended up on the ground.. how could it be ruled a catch? you have to maintain the ball thru the ground. the replay in the dome was pretty quick to really see much other than that

The key here is you say "I think." There was nothing definitive about any of it, and key elements of the entire catch process were hard to see. It's not about whether it was or it wasn't in the replay process - it's about if it was provable. And based on the evidence available, the call basically had to stand.
Don't you have to keep control and possession of the ball after coming down?

the ball ended up on the ground.. how could it be ruled a catch? you have to maintain the ball thru the ground. the replay in the dome was pretty quick to really see much other than that
I don’t think you have to maintain through the ground in college, I think it’s essentially secure the ball (even if it’s for a split second), have a foot down and you’re golden.

Don't you have to keep control and possession of the ball after coming down?
You can make the argument that he kept control and the ball was pulled out after he "completed the process." It was an extremely borderline play.

I don’t think you have to maintain through the ground in college, I think it’s essentially secure the ball (even if it’s for a split second), have a foot down and you’re golden.
no.. one ft does mean a catch.. one ft is really more for being in bounds.

"
If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone."

from the ncaa rulebook

It was a catch. People may want to read the rules.
When you catch a ball and go to the ground in the process of catching the ball, you have to keep possession of the ball after hitting the ground.

Two factors here, the ref may have deemed possession before going to the ground, so already a catch. So in that instance the losing the ball at the end didn’t matter. Secondly, he did maintain possession of the ball falling to the ground. It was after hitting the ground and then rolling over the ball came out.

Personally I didn’t think it was a catch but keyword, “think”. There wasn’t any evidence to overturn that IMO.

At the Dome, I wasn’t sure. Watching the replay I still couldn’t tell. I’m not surprised it was left to stand.

no.. one ft does mean a catch.. one ft is really more for being in bounds.

"
If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone."

from the ncaa rulebook
He also clearly had the ball pinned to his midsection and was not firmly grasped in his hands, when it came loose after hitting the ground, no catch for sure unless your playing Syracuse. It should have never went to review it was so obvious and Dino had to call and waste a TO just to get a review.

He also clearly had the ball pinned to his midsection and was not firmly grasped in his hands, when it came loose after hitting the ground, no catch for sure unless your playing Syracuse. It should have never went to review it was so obvious and Dino had to call and waste a TO just to get a review.
i just thought it was crazy we had to call a TO before the replay dude even bothered to think about taking a look and then they gave the TO back.

i just thought it was crazy we had to call a TO before the replay dude even bothered to think about taking a look and then they gave the TO back.
I don't ever remember a player going up for catch and then hitting the ground where the ball came loose that it was ruled a catch. Some people here have Stockholm syndrome regarding the refs and the ACC.

and it was called a catch on the field and if people havent noticed this year , the call on the field is standing unless its clear and obvious miss

we got the timeout back though so its not a big deal

When you catch a ball and go to the ground in the process of catching the ball, you have to keep possession of the ball after hitting the ground.

he hit the ground with the ball. Lost it as he rolled over. At the least there was not enough to over rule the call.

and it was called a catch on the field and if people havent noticed this year , the call on the field is standing unless its clear and obvious miss
The ball obviously came rolling out.

The thing with these ACC officials seems to be that if we are going to benefit from some big call, it seems like there is almost always a second flag on the play that goes against us.

I don't ever remember a player going up for catch and then hitting the ground where the ball came loose that it was ruled a catch. Some people here have Stockholm syndrome regarding the refs and the ACC.

again, he didn’t lose the ball when he hit the ground.

he hit the ground with the ball. Lost it as he rolled over. At the least there was not enough to over rule the call.
So if you are diving for a ball and you catch it and your knee hits the ground and then the rest of your body hits the ground and the ball comes loose, that's a catch? No, it is not.

Thought he did not have control while going out of bounds. Ball on his thigh.
The bigger blown call was GS supposed fumble. Clearly ball was in his had and in throwing motion. Clear incomplete pass. Even with video refs cannot get it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom