The 2021-2022 Portal Cup | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

The 2021-2022 Portal Cup

It's in a portal QB thread on this board, and I'm sure on the recruiting board. There are so many parallel threads going on with portal transfers, head coaching changes, our OC, you have to check about 5 places first.
I always check the FB recruiting forum first. ;)

So how’s it going today? I see Cooper Lutz is in the portal. Any other additions?

3 Virginia players in the portal today...

LB Noah Taylor , 169 tackles, 28.5 TFL, 12.5 sacks and 3 INTs in his career.
OL Olusegun Oluwatimi, 2021 finalist for Rimington Trophy
TE Bobby Haskins

To a lesser degree, wouldn't this stuff be fairly common throughout college football?

I'm guessing you could grab a dozen disgruntled players from many teams, that would voice similar concerns. I'm not defending Graham, or minimizing player concerns. I would just be surprised if there weren't a few coaches on most teams that used this coaching "style".

For me college football is ruined. I’ll be a syracuse fan as best I can, but I need to do something else with my time.
Eh, I thought it was busted before this.

I'm glad that people are finally able to exercise the right to profit from their personal identities.

Eh, I thought it was busted before this.

I'm glad that people are finally able to exercise the right to profit from their personal identities.
it's not specifically because of NIL, it's because of the arms race going on in all areas. The 24/7 use of jet for Lincoln Riley did it for me.

it's not specifically because of NIL, it's because of the arms race going on in all areas. The 24/7 use of jet for Lincoln Riley did it for me.
I think we're on the same page, I think my breaking point just happened earlier than yours with Lincoln Riley.

For me I blame Alabama and Nick Saban. Once a defensible position was established that they would be judged by a different standard in order to participate in the postseason, competition didn't matter for 95% of the programs in college football.

Do coaches count in this?
They're going to have to, now. Also may affect the types of coaching styles they bring on board.

The "old school" insulters and beraters may begin finding it difficult to secure work. I mean, suck it up buttercup, but if a whole bunch of buttercups decide they want out because of that coach? Or those complaints spread to other buttercups? It might lead to a buttercup exodus.

Welcome to The Portal, a poorly thought out idea of the NCAA. This isn't only having an effect on college progams but is also effecting how many HS kids will get the opportunity to be recruited, get a scholarship to college and a college education.
Imagined convo:

"We'll let players transfer once at no cost."

"What happens to the team they leave, who now has holes in its roster, which generally did not happen as much given the costs of transferring?"

"Don't worry, we'll let them accept a larger number of initial qualifiers to make up for it!"

Six months later...

"Hm. Seems players are leaving because they don't want to be backups."

"As expected."

"Well, those extra qualifiers we allowed are going unused, because no one wants to leave one team as a backup, to join another as a backup."

"Uhhhhhh"

This will get you some Olinemen.

Holy crap. The SEC is going to be like Russia and East Germany in the Olympics, back in the '70s and '80s. The level of "what used to be cheating" will be so institutionalized, so out in the open, and so powerful. Become a lineman for us, and you're guaranteed a minimum of $150K a year?? What the heck???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom