The 3-guard lineup | Syracusefan.com

The 3-guard lineup

pearl31

in cahoots
He didn't stick with it for long, but JB had all three of BT, MCW and TC in at the same time, with BT playing the wing in the zone...

thoughts?

Needed shooting, with Cincy in that zone. It left us too small defensively. Could've used Southerland today.

We needed shooters against their zone, but we also needed defenders quick enough to stay with Mr. 'Chuck it up from 28' (then clutch and grab on D with at least 3 guys camped out in the lane). This style is a nightmare for our zone, as Cronin well knows.

The last 5 minutes we dug it out, and they came back to earth from outside. Whatever.

W.

He didn't stick with it for long, but JB had all three of BT, MCW and TC in at the same time, with BT playing the wing in the zone...

thoughts?

I thought the coaching play of the game was when he took out Cooney and put back in Grant moving Triche off the front line. Probably about 3 minutes left when that happened I think.

I'm of the opinion that Jerami Grant should never come out..... ever.

kidding, but he has proved his importance, perhaps the best overall rebounder on the team.

Love Grant and he will be a star, especially after CJ graduates. But this team needs James more than Grant and todays game showed that. It's why twice JB tried the small lineup. We need balance on the floor vs a zone, especially one with some length.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The first time he tried the 3G lineup, he had Cooney on the wing. They went after him where-ever he was though when we had 3G in there. Kilpatrick hit two (maybe more) of his 3's when Cooney was at the top. If you notice, Cooney has an uncanny arm-flapping style that happens sometimes. I think he is generally a good defender, but his arm flappery has made me chuckle a few times Saturday and today.

Love Grant and he will be a star, especially after CJ graduates. But this team needs James more than Grant and todays game showed that. It's why twice JB tried the small lineup. We need balance on the floor vs a zone, especially one with some length.

Without James as a threat from outside and athletic play above the rim inside, our offense is anemic. Our ability to trap on defense loses a lot without him also.

It was a bit frightening how easy cinci was able to generate offense and shots going right at Cooney. They used his overplaying to their advantage. Nice tape work there by Cronin and staff.

Without James as a threat from outside and athletic play above the rim inside, our offense is anemic. Our ability to trap on defense loses a lot without him also.

You don't think Grant has athletic play above the rim? And his defense is very good particularly for a freshman. Oh, I'll take his handle over JS any day.

You don't think Grant has athletic play above the rim? And his defense is very good particularly for a freshman. Oh, I'll take his handle over JS any day.
I was not dissing Grant, but he is not yet Southerland.

I was not dissing Grant, but he is not yet Southerland.
Depends on what you are looking for. Even if James comes back... we will definitely still see a lot of Jerami, and for good reason. He is a reliable player, he's always helping this team, never hurts us.

Depends on what you are looking for. Even if James comes back... we will definitely still see a lot of Jerami, and for good reason. He is a reliable player, he's always helping this team, never hurts us.
I agree

If James comes back, be will get a LOT of minutes. Maybe as much as before his suspension. JB loves Grant but hates the offensive makeup.

I'll agree we needed some shooters. But we needed every one of Jerami's 7 rebounds, his defensive rotations and his steady solid play. I find James to be more erratic. But for the zone James could have helped for sure.

If James comes back, be will get a LOT of minutes. Maybe as much as before his suspension. JB loves Grant but hates the offensive makeup.

Then I should take over, clearly i know more about the game than that old fossil.

Three-guard lineup: terrifying. Really left Triche hung out to dry - he was working hard out there, but he can't guard the corner any better than Andy Rautins or Paul Harris (or Rakeem). Not sure that Grant was a better option, but playing with three guards wasn't terribly effective.

This team needs Southerland back in the worst way. Shooting, spacing, and defense are all awfully important.

thoughts?

i pray to never see it EVER again.

I'll agree we needed some shooters. But we needed every one of Jerami's 7 rebounds, his defensive rotations and his steady solid play. I find James to be more erratic. But for the zone James could have helped for sure.

JS rebounds as well as JS and JS is a better defender especially out on the wing.

JS rebounds as well as JS and JS is a better defender especially out on the wing.

i disagree. I think James would have struggled rebounding against the last two opponents. and james is better at creating turnovers, but Jerami is better at the post rotation... he's better than CJ at it too. Dude also blocked a kilpatrick 3 from 26 feet.

I thought it was more for perimeter D than offense. Cincinnati was content to work the ball on the outside then reverse and try to find Kilpatrick. Jerami got stuck up high a couple of times. Obviously didn't work as Trevor couldn't fight through the screens and we neefed to go back to Grant to get any kind if activity on the boards. Interesting change up, but file it away under been there, done that.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I'll bet JB hates to actually have someone who can get the ball at the foul line, take one dribble, elevate, and attack the rim with confidence and aggression.

Grant I thought made the 2 defensive plays of the game. One was when he hustled back (after getting beat albeit) to almost get a steal (when he fell out of bounds). The second was the block he made (after getting beat again) when they had an easy dunk up 2 points. He blocked (and fouled) the guy and he only converted one FT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom