The ACC Better Send Syracuse A Xmas Gift | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The ACC Better Send Syracuse A Xmas Gift

I still don't see what conference wins will be counted as "good wins" when tournament selection comes around. Duke, and UNC, then who?
it's an 18 game slate. At the moment, only BC and Miami are outside the top 100 - that's 4 games.

At the moment, the ACC schedule gives SU
  • 6 games against the Pomeroy top 25 (Pitt 2x, Duke 2x, UNC, UVa) 3 at home, 3 on the road
  • 2 more games against Pomeroy 26-50 (FSU & Clemson)
  • 6 vs. Pomeroy 51-100 (VPI, Wake, UND, NCSU, MD, Ga Tech)
that's not too different from last year, when SU had 3 conference opponents outside the top 100, 6 in the top 25 and 4 others in the top 50

of course, there is still room for all of these opponents to move up or down, but at the moment it doesn't look disastrous.

it's an 18 game slate. At the moment, only BC and Miami are outside the top 100 - that's 4 games.

• 6 games against the Pomeroy top 25 (Pitt 2x, Duke 2x, UNC, UVa) 3 at home, 3 on the road
that's not too different from last year, when SU had 3 conference opponents outside the top 100, 6 in the top 25 and 4 others in the top 50

of course, there is still room for all of these opponents to move up or down, but at the moment it doesn't look disastrous.
Have a feeling Pitt won't be up there for long though.

The Pomeroy is all well and good, but for NCAA seeding they use the RPI.

Using that

Other then Syracuse there are only 2 other ACC teams in the top 25 UNC (17) and Pitt (18)
There is 1 other team in the top 50 Virginia (46)
Top 100 there are 5 more VT (66) Duke (67) FSU (69) Wake (80) NCST (96)
Out of the top 100 there are 6 conference opponents

Using that

Other then Syracuse there are only 2 other ACC teams in the top 25 UNC (17) and Pitt (18)
We'll be a protected seed even if we lost 3-4 games in our conference. This isn't football. We're a power conference.

I'm a Cuse guy, and I'd tread lightly on the "we're only talking about this year who cares what UNC/Duke did 20 years ago" line of thought. Our football team was significantly worse than clunkers like Rutgers and Uconn for a good stretch of the 00's, and if you talk to their fans they keep vomiting up these tired arguments like "Why is Cuse football a better brand than ours the past 10 years we've been better!" I don't have to tell the audience here why Cuse (and Pitt) football are on higher levels than those two, but history is a big part of the answer. So even if the traditional ACC b-ball schools like UNC, Duke, Wake, GT are having down years, I kinda hear their fans argument about our sole NC as reason why we shouldn't act like we own the league right away.

I mean it sure didn't sound fair to our football program when that argument was happening in 2004 after a couple down years. But the sad reality is there's more and more merit to it with each passing year where we're not nationally relevant. It's been what, 15 years now?

That's where the NIT St's, Ga Techs, Wake's & UVA's are in hoops. They have not been relevant much at all in the last 20yrs other than a couple brief spurts. Could we lose to one of those teams, sure, it's basketball. It does not appear to be as much of a grind as the 2nd level Big East teams in recent years though. Even UNC/Dook fans admit this top-heavy nature when you really press them, but they'll move the goalposts to "who cares about depth, NC's are all that matter" to make themselves feel better. Meh, whatever.

This wasn't really meant to be about us. It's more of how bad the rest of the ACC is. 1 part of the season is complete and you really can't say who the 4th best team in the conference is. If we have a bad conference record in this mess of a league I will be shocked. This isn't even close to the Big East of the past decade. I mean there are some bad bad teams in this league.
Do you care though? I was always frustrated at the ESPN created stratification of the schedule to include an OOC SOS, instead of just using overall schedule figures. It seemed motivated by ESPN's want for big games in the early months. SU didn't play along because the BE was just too difficult and routinely paid a price by the talking heads.

JB seemed to have a good grasp on what we had coming. Our OOC is pretty strong and we performed well. Shouldn't have to hear complaints there.

What I think will be interesting is how JB treats some of the softer in-conference foes. Will he put in the 3 sons? Will he give them some run in the first half of these games? You know he has to consider them important games, but for some we should be pretty big favorites. Will be interesting to see.

I would argue that FSU is holding it's own given preseason expectations. A 2-pt loss to Mich and a 1-pt loss to fu are not bad losses. The Minnie loss ...ughhh.

No, we have not played a killer non-conference schedule. Nor do we have any pretense of being a bb school.

Please continue to give the Tarhole grief, by all means :D

I'll never understand what compels a person to waste their time trolling the fan board of a team that they are not a fan of. Why? If the point is to try and make an argument for the team you ARE a fan of, then you've got some issues that would be better addressed by a visit to a shrink.

that is kind of my point. with the relatively weak schedule there should be more teams with gaudy win %. There have been some absolutely brutal losses to horrendous teams. This really kills the conference RPI as a whole, and effects the top teams when it comes to seeding.

i guess i had to make a thread like this since we got talked down to for months from FSU, and Clemson fans over on the football side.

I don't think we'll see carpetbagger 'nole on the hoops side.

TampaNole said:
I would argue that FSU is holding it's own given preseason expectations. A 2-pt loss to Mich and a 1-pt loss to fu are not bad losses. The Minnie loss ...ughhh. No, we have not played a killer non-conference schedule. Nor do we have any pretense of being a bb school. Please continue to give the Tarhole grief, by all means :D

I'll never understand why it make a difference if you think you're a basketball school or a football school? Do you quit trying? Is the allocation of resources for a school as big as FSU to much to bear (ie. we really can't be good at both)?

Most people consider us a basketball school - but when we lost 59-3, we weren't like "oh, well - we are a bb school" ... We are trying to be elite in both. It may never happen - but that's the goal.

Rant over.

I would argue that FSU is holding it's own given preseason expectations. A 2-pt loss to Mich and a 1-pt loss to fu are not bad losses. The Minnie loss ...ughhh.

No, we have not played a killer non-conference schedule. Nor do we have any pretense of being a bb school.

Please continue to give the Tarhole grief, by all means :D
Would agree about FSU. Hamilton is a very good coach and seems to get the most out of his players especially in the big games.

Using that

It's great to get a high rating. But my hope is by March our team has mastered all the zone shifts, traps, and defensive plays. I don't really care if they master it against lower ranked teams. My hope and excitement is for this team's zone defense becomes as good as last year's defense just around tournament time. When all the player's shift in unison it's a thing of beauty!

the fact of the matter is, despite its struggles, the ACC is currently the 2nd ranked conference in the land
rbk5.jpg

and nearly half of its teams - SU, Pitt, UNC,Duke, Virginia, Florida St. and Clemson - currently are in the Pomeroy Top 35 and own Pomeroy ratings higher than the B1G average

The Colley Matrix has the ACC at number five - right in front of the SEC at six. Similar to RPI, it only considers wins and opponents' strength. It's great that Virginia averages more points per possession than other teams and would be placed higher after 10,000 simulations but hypotheticals don't matter - it's about who you beat.

The ACC is currently SU at #3, #23 Pitt, #24 UNC, #43 Duke, #53 Wake Forest, #58 UVA, #71 Clemson, #74 Maryland, #84 NC St, #85 Notre Dame, #87 Florida State, #99 Georgia Tech, #101 Virginia Tech, #142 Miami, # 169 BC

Syracuse can only afford to lose a couple of ACC games in order to get a #1 or #2. It's not like the Big East where you'd have several chances to beat top 25 (top 10!) teams.

Cusetown, love the pics, but doesn't change the fact that you are calling other schools out for "empty seats" when your own school only fills up 2/3rds of its arena, on average. Of course, if percentage of seats filled was all that mattered, I suppose more schools could go the Duke route and play in glorified high school gyms.

It's a football stadium, jackass

Not to get too far off topic, but what are the attendance estimates for the Miami game?

Using that

RPI is just an enhanced won/lost record . . . it only really tells you who you have played.

Pomeroy is an approximation of how you are playing. As such, I think it is more likely in mid-December to be a predictor of where teams will be ranked in March than is RPI. A much better predictor.

Your football stadium only fits 30,000 people?
If Davidson could hit free throws... you would have lost. In regulation.

NEVER USE THAT ARGUMENT AGAIN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom