The ACC Network will launch on Thursday, August 22, 2019 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The ACC Network will launch on Thursday, August 22, 2019

Conservative estimates are $5-7 million the first year and then over time reach $10 million to possibly $15 million a year. I'll believe the $15 million per year when I see it.

But at least the conference has a more viable network than the Pac-12 thanks to its partnership with ESPN. Next the conference needs to fix the Orange Bowl deal. Only getting $27.5 million each year the Orange is not part of the playoff (which is less than $2 million per year per team) has put us slightly behind in comparison with the B12 which gets $4 million per team from their Sugar Bowl contract. This despite the fact that the Orange has been getting slightly better ratings than the Sugar in the comparative years. If that keeps up it should increase the overall value of the Orange to at least $70 million (up from the current $55 million) with the ACC getting $40 million and the B1G or SEC rep getting $30 million or when ND is the representative ACC getting $55 million and ND $15 million.

Cheers,
Neil
If the sugar is getting $80 now ($40 SEC - $40 Big XII), they Orange should get at least $80, plus an extra on top for inflation/market dynamics. I could see $90/100 ($60/70-$30).

The Rose and Sugar would also go up to $90-$100, so the SEC/B1G would be $45-$50+$15 ($30/2=$15), putting them in the neighborhood of $60-70. The Big XII and PAC-12 would be $45-50. The Big XII number would equal the ACC/SEC/B1G per team payouts, and the PAC would slightly lag (but would get the prestige of the Rose Bowl). The SEC and B1G would still get the prestige of playing in 1.5 tie-in games. The ACCeoukd get a wind fall in the very unlikely chance that ND was ranked *just* right. And ND would be special, because... ND.

The Big Ten contract with Fox/ESPN/CBS(hoops) was a shorter deal because the bubble of TV rights went down.
The future rights deals will include Amazon/Hulu/Netflix/ESPN+/YouTubeTV:
The ACC TV network ideally gets ESPN more households than the SECN.

The SECN doesn’t get ratings outside of football season. They have just recently invested in basketball and the SEC does have good baseball and softball.

The ACCN is going to have football from August till November, then elite basketball, lacrosse and baseball in the spring.
I doubt ESPN will give up a Duke-North Carolina basketball game to the ACCN bit it’s possible.

Believe it or not, SEC fans do watch a lot of SEC basketball (why? I don't know)

It will be more money, but even with the additional revenue we will be substantially behind B1G $$

Yes and the SEC as well. That is because of the national TV contracts and football bowl monies. The ACCN actually has a shot of being close to or slightly better than the BTN once over the $10 million per school mark. The only area the ACC will have the edge over both of those conferences is with the NCAA basketball unit $$$ in a couple of years.

The focus for the ACC should remain being a solid third which will likely happen once the Orange Bowl monies are renegotiated in the next contract and the ACCN reaches at least $10 million per school. To have any hope of getting close to the SEC or Big Ten the league needs Miami and VT to get back to their Old Big East levels to support Clemson and FSU and then from the group of GT, L'Ville, UNC, NC State, Pitt, SU, UVa, and BC having two or three of those be good enough year to year (again at least two or three, not necessarily the same two to three each year since the success of these programs will not necessarily be year in and year out) to support Clemson, FSU, Miami, and VT.

We will know more by 2022 or 2023.

Cheers,
Neil

Yes and the SEC as well. That is because of the national TV contracts and football bowl monies. The ACCN actually has a shot of being close to or slightly better than the BTN once over the $10 million per school mark. The only area the ACC will have the edge over both of those conferences is with the NCAA basketball unit $$$ in a couple of years.

The focus for the ACC should remain being a solid third which will likely happen once the Orange Bowl monies are renegotiated in the next contract and the ACCN reaches at least $10 million per school. To have any hope of getting close to the SEC or Big Ten the league needs Miami and VT to get back to their Old Big East levels to support Clemson and FSU and then from the group of GT, L'Ville, UNC, NC State, Pitt, SU, UVa, and BC having two or three of those be good enough year to year (again at least two or three, not necessarily the same two to three each year since the success of these programs will not necessarily be year in and year out) to support Clemson, FSU, Miami, and VT.

We will know more by 2022 or 2023.

Cheers,
Neil
Keep in mind also that in all the other conferences the individual schools multimedia rights are shared along with conference revenue and figured into those numbers.

In the ACC, the multimedia rights are not shared and are left out of the conference payout numbers. Each school retains their own revenue. That SKU's the numbers a bit when comparing them.

Keep in mind also that in all the other conferences the individual schools multimedia rights are shared along with conference revenue and figured into those numbers.

In the ACC, the multimedia rights are not shared and are left out of the conference payout numbers. Each school retains their own revenue. That SKU's the numbers a bit when comparing them.

This is the first I have ever heard about that. Do you have a link to an article where this is discussed?

Cheers,
Neil

Remind me, is this a pay stream or channel. Meaning, will I have to specifically request it from Directv and pay for it outside my normal sports package like SEC or Big Ten network?

This is the first I have ever heard about that. Do you have a link to an article where this is discussed?

Cheers,
Neil
Just found out that revenue totals for the Big12 do not include 3rd tier broadcast rights either.

Big Ten's Rights Deal Threatens To Widen Financial Gap Between Even The Biggest Conferences

This is the one on Multimedia rights. It has been reported by several news sources since conference realignment.

Syracuse gets record payout from ACC, which still lags behind other P-5 conferences

There are a bunch of little quirks and things for each conference, nothing major but 3rd tier broadcast for Big12 and ACC Multimedia are the 2 biggest ones not factored in.

Remind me, is this a pay stream or channel. Meaning, will I have to specifically request it from Directv and pay for it outside my normal sports package like SEC or Big Ten network?

Get ACCN | ESPN

Broadcast channel that will also be available for streaming. Don't know yet how the cable/satellite companies will handle.

Spectrum currently provides the SECN as part of the digital package, but the BTN is only available on the more expensive sports package.

Just found out that revenue totals for the Big12 do not include 3rd tier broadcast rights either.

Big Ten's Rights Deal Threatens To Widen Financial Gap Between Even The Biggest Conferences

This is the one on Multimedia rights. It has been reported by several news sources since conference realignment.

Syracuse gets record payout from ACC, which still lags behind other P-5 conferences

There are a bunch of little quirks and things for each conference, nothing major but 3rd tier broadcast for Big12 and ACC Multimedia are the 2 biggest ones not factored in.

I think there may be some confusion on both of our parts. In your previous post you mention multi-media rights which I always assumes means the IMG type stuff and it is my understanding that those belong to the individual institutions and not the conference. The Big Ten article you posted talks about the media rights deal which I believe is referring to what I call the national TV contracts which had recently been negotiated for like a 6 year period (unlike the ACC which is locked into its national TV contract until 2035-36). I refer to those types of contracts as national tv contracts just to avoid the possible confusion with "multi-media rights".

As for the B12 third-tier rights their situation is now unique (though it once was the standard prior to conference networks) since it actually combines those games they can sell off that are not part of their national TV contracts as well as their multi-media rights. Those tier-3 rights do indeed go to each individual institution.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Cheers,
Neil

Last edited:
I'm glad it will finally be on the air and looking forward to it. Use the new money found to pay for Dino and his staff.

Could the ACC Network be pinned somewhere on the board so we could just go to that link and see the SU/ACC content and news/updates? And to that point, is there a way to ask the ACCN for $ for the site to have a link to them? I don't know the business aspects of websites and all but it seems they could benefit each other.

Could the ACC Network be pinned somewhere on the board so we could just go to that link and see the SU/ACC content and news/updates? And to that point, is there a way to ask the ACCN for $ for the site to have a link to them? I don't know the business aspects of websites and all but it seems they could benefit each other.

Sure.

In August.

When they have actual content.

Duke plays Notre Dame and Alabama next year. Damn they are challenging themselves.

I remember that. Syracuse was one of the first markets with MTV
Newchannels cable TV in N. Syracuse, owned by Frank Harms and sold to Adelphia or Time Warner, I can't remember which. Newchannels was the first to offer cable TV, I remember stuffing envelopes with marketing material when I was 10 or 11 yrs old and getting paid $5 a day. I also remember MTV and the Buggles, also the first time I'd heard of the Talking Heads.

Newchannels cable TV in N. Syracuse, owned by Frank Harms and sold to Adelphia or Time Warner, I can't remember which. Newchannels was the first to offer cable TV, I remember stuffing envelopes with marketing material when I was 10 or 11 yrs old and getting paid $5 a day. I also remember MTV and the Buggles, also the first time I'd heard of the Talking Heads.

I remember if you pushed the right combination of buttons on the cable box, you could kinda sorta get free HBO (if you didn't mind the squiggly lines).

I remember if you pushed the right combination of buttons on the cable box, you could kinda sorta get free HBO (if you didn't mind the squiggly lines).
yes, the box with the buttons with the long cord that connected to the coax converter on the back of the old tube TV. It was the first time we'd had a "remote" channel changer in the house, we really moved up to the east side for sure.

And we had the free HBO too with that button combo

Push_button_cable_box.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom