The ACC Network will launch on Thursday, August 22, 2019 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The ACC Network will launch on Thursday, August 22, 2019

When considering BTN payouts, recall that the B1G shares gate revenue (a larger percentage of the gate for conference games) and it is included in the annual payout. No other conference shares gate revenue. This inflates the payout.

https://www.thegazette.com/2013/10/25/sharing-gate-revenue-unique-vital-to-b1g-football

Report: Football ticket revenue sharing cost Badgers more than $950,000 in 2012

How the Big Ten restored itself as the nation's best conference

The important points to remember when considering conference payouts is

1. that the revenue stream sources are not exactly the same between conferences
2. Hoops is still largely underpaid, see BTN deal! The ACC will see a large benefit from this.
3. The ACCN will close a portion of the gap.
4. The BTN deal is likely to level of as more cord cutting (or never getting cable/satellite millenials increase their share of the adult population).
5. The difference in payouts is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Sure $10MM difference in payouts seems large, $20MM is worse. However, when more and more AD budgets are measured n $100MM+ and school budgets are $Billions, $10MM is an accounting error, don't get too worked up over it. Besides, SUAD sends money to the school, someone is running the AD correctly.

When considering BTN payouts, recall that the B1G shares gate revenue (a larger percentage of the gate for conference games) and it is included in the annual payout. No other conference shares gate revenue. This inflates the payout.

Sharing gate revenue unique, vital to B1G football

Report: Football ticket revenue sharing cost Badgers more than $950,000 in 2012

How the Big Ten restored itself as the nation's best conference

2. Hoops is still largely underpaid, see BTN deal! The ACC will see a large benefit from this.
4. The BTN deal is likely to level of as more cord cutting (or never getting cable/satellite millenials increase their share of the adult population).
5. The difference in payouts is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Sure $10MM difference in payouts seems large, $20MM is worse. However, when more and more AD budgets are measured n $100MM+ and school budgets are $Billions, $10MM is an accounting error, don't get too worked up over it. Besides, SUAD sends money to the school, someone is running the AD correctly.
Gate sharing is a HUGE one that virtually nobody takes into account.

Also, comparisons tend to be B1G future-looking numbers vs ACC historic numbers.

That gal alone is worth ~$2MM

I remember if you pushed the right combination of buttons on the cable box, you could kinda sorta get free HBO (if you didn't mind the squiggly lines).

Where I grew up on Long Island it went around school that if you opened the back of the cable box and turned the screw of a certain channel you could get some premium channels free and unscrambled. Most importantly for a 13 year old, the soft core channel

Points #1 and #5 hit the nail on the head. Due to the mammoth sizes and fan followings of so many SEC and Big Ten institutions (especially the major content drivers like Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, Penn State, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M, etc.), ticket revenues, athletic donations, etc. mean that conference revenue distribution only comprise about a third of their overall athletic revenue while the not so much content drivers like the Purdues and the Mississippi States conference revenues is closer to 50% of their athletic revenue.

Still when that conference revenue actually reaches $50 million annually, that means the Purdues and Mississippi States will have $100 million dollar athletic revenues soon. Syracuse had a reported $90 million in athletic revenue for 2016-17 and their conference revenue distribution was about 25% of that total. So a $10 million increase in conference revenue distribution will be a welcome sight. Especially since we have been told that $90 million didn't represent a new normal.

Cheers,
Neil

Where I grew up on Long Island it went around school that if you opened the back of the cable box and turned the screw of a certain channel you could get some premium channels free and unscrambled. Most importantly for a 13 year old, the soft core channel

Cinemax aka CineSex.

Also liked those aerobic workout videos. :cool:

Cinemax aka Cines e x.

This one was an old school now long dead channel called Action Plus. Some fine cinema to be had. Especially the Plus.

@Ourand_SBJ
It looks like ACC Network is part of Disney’s carriage deal with Verizon. I expect ACC Network to wind up with expanded basic carriage on Verizon when it launches in August.

In response to a question as to which side caved:

It’s hard to say until we see the full deal. ESPN has to be happy to get ACC Network carriage with such an important carrier. We don’t know what Disney gave up to get that deal done yet.

Verizon/Disney avert Bowl Day Blackout

Verizion Disney Reach Accord

A contract between Verizon, which serves some 4.6 million customers under the Fios brand, and Disney, a major TV network owner, was set to expire at 5 p.m. New York time Dec. 31. Disney had run ads on its channels warning viewers -- including ABC audiences in New York and Philadelphia -- that they might lose access and should contact Verizon to complain.

Helps to have Disney pushing this forward. What was the PAC thinking?!?

Cheers,
Neil

Cinemax aka Cines e x.

Back in the day, every TV set in the National Military Command Center was tuned to the 20-minute workout, but no one was getting up out of their chairs to join them.

As a DirecTV user, what do I need to know about this?

As a DirecTV user, what do I need to know about this?
If you get the ESPN family, you will probably have the ACCN available to you. But it may be available only with a higher sports package. No one really knows yet.

Verizon/Disney avert Bowl Day Blackout

Verizion Disney Reach Accord

A contract between Verizon, which serves some 4.6 million customers under the Fios brand, and Disney, a major TV network owner, was set to expire at 5 p.m. New York time Dec. 31. Disney had run ads on its channels warning viewers -- including ABC audiences in New York and Philadelphia -- that they might lose access and should contact Verizon to complain.

Helps to have Disney pushing this forward. What was the PAC thinking?!?

Cheers,
Neil

Glad my pointed email and tweet worked.

I can't even remember how many times that box got broken with me having 3 brothers fighting over it and pulling the cord out.

I remember when you could take the box cover off and use a bread tie to connect two components together and get everything free.

That’s good news. Wasn’t much of a fight.

I expect for DirecTV ESPN will have ESPNews channel 207 become a premium channel and ACC Network take its place on the basic package.
In 2008 DirecTV changed ESPN Classic with ESPNU on the basic package.

Is that good news?

It might have meant that we (ESPN) lowballed.
I think it is pretty impressive in these times to win a rate increase and add a channel. Many in the industry did not expect ESPN to have this kind of success getting the ACC Network carried, at least not so early.

Is that good news?

It might have meant that we (ESPN) lowballed.

I'd say it was good news for Disney/ESPN since the threatened blackout didn't occur which tells me Verizon blinked on the bulk of Disney's requests. Unfortunately, in terms of the ACCN specifically (in terms of price and which tier, not in terms of it being carried because we know that much) we just don't know what concessions, if any, were made.

Cheers,
Neil

Is ACCN going to be a new channel? When its formation was announced, there was speculation that ESPN would simply change ESPN News to ACCN.

Is ACCN going to be a new channel? When its formation was announced, there was speculation that ESPN would simply change ESPN News to ACCN.
This will probably be different for different carriers. One rumor says when the ACC Network is added to Comcast, it will be a replacement for ESPN Classic.

The SEC network (and the ACC) are big money makers and draw a lot more viewers than ESPN Classic and or ESPN News. If ESPN needs to drop one of these to add ACCN, it is a no brainer to do so.

ACC Football Rx: ACCN at a glance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom