The ACC sucks. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The ACC sucks.

syrabillslican said:
It's funny to mock UConn's demise because it was such a fierce rivalry. But it's important to remember that Marsh's motto came about because Syracuse fans here on this board lamented and were hesitant to lose a true rival that gave us innumerable great games. Maybe it's easier for some to move on from the rivals we grew up with, but I don't think I am one of them.

I was at the dome vs duke. It was better than any big east game save maybe a gtown gsme. I am very happy with the move and love where we are.

Oh an again

Regardless, and this is NOT a knock on Milwaukee, give me a trip to Charlottesville over Milwaukee any day. Both for hoops, and just in general.
Outside of actual basketball, UVA has more to offer as a conference member no doubt.

Give it a few more years and I bet that opinion takes a 180.

All its going to take are a few moments that can cause bad blood for a lifetime, ala John Thompson on the way out of Manley or message board banter ala the boneyard.

Don't worry, you'll be able to hate again. It will just take time. Be patient.

Really? Why?

Marquette has made the big dance every year since 2006. Made the elite 8 last season. FF in 2003.

VA didn't make the dance last year. got bounced in the first round in 2012 which was their first appearance since 2006.

Marquette attendance and fan support is off the charts compared to VA.

I really miss the games versus depaul, Seton hall, Rutgers, providence, south Florida, st.johns...not

The big east died a long long time. Georgetown is a shadow of their former self. We will still play Pitt and Louisville.

Stevenson said:
I really miss the games versus depaul, Seton hall, Rutgers, providence, south Florida, st.johns...not The big east died a long long time. Georgetown is a shadow of their former self. We will still play Pitt and Louisville.

Amen brother

There are five old Big East teams in the top 25, four of them in the top 11. Without SU the ACC has 2 in the top 25. There is no question the Big East was better than the ACC for the past few years but that wasn't paying the bills.

Exactly. Plus, the "real" Big East died long ago. The 16-team conglomerate was a collection of some solid, even great, basketball schools, but it wasn't a great collective for the new college sports landscape. The whole was far less than the sum of it's parts. That will be more noticeable next season when Louisville joins the ACC. The AAC will be left with two strong teams, Cinci and Memphis, and a true unknown in UConn. The rest of those teams will be TURRIBLE. And the NNNBE will lose Doug McDermott and most of it's star power with him. Who else is even in that league who can be considered an All American at this point? That's pretty darn sad. If all the teams that left were still there, McDermott would be the only All Conference player from the current collection of schools. The rest would be from SU, Louisville, Cincy, Pitt, UConn and ND.

Make no mistake. The NNNBE lost A LOT in the great conference shake-up, and didn't get much else in return. Doug McDermott and Creighton are literally keeping that conference afloat in the media. Nova is too, but ask anyone from outside the east to name a player on that team and see what you get.

The ACC is the place to be, whether up or down. And it won't be down for long.

See , you have a different context than say, me. I entered the SU Hoop Universe when our rivals were St. Bona, Lehigh, Bucknell, Colgate, Niagara, Fordham , LaSalle, Rutgers,and St. John's. At that time even Holy Cross may have been a notch above us. There was nothing bigger than SU-St Bona in the late 70's, but we moved on.
Also going on at that time, with us playing a regional schedule and having 6'5" centers, was the ACC had some historically good teams. 72-74 NC St, Hall of Famer after Hall of Famer rolling thru Chapel Hill, Lefty and Maryland, just saying in my context the ACC had a little more luster on it.
Now I will agree that now we are here, the luster ain't quite what I figured, but , hey it'll work.
My wife likes your post being a Holy Cross grad :)

With Providence running the Big East show it was good we got out when we could. The ACC has elevated all of the money making sports which enriches everything else at SU. It's good to be us.

I care as much about beating teams like NC State as I did about beating Providence air Depaul. Even those these teams don't interest me, I love seeing SU play even if it's against Colgate.

Eh, ancient history.

SU is already an anchor program in it's new conference. It skipped right from probationary status to the corner office. Like K said it was more like a merger than an acquisition, that's how much brand equity SU has.

It's a good thing.

Even those these teams don't interest me, I love seeing SU play even if it's against Colgate.

This. Times infinite. I'd watch Syracuse against anyone, anywhere. My palms would be sweaty even with an ice cold brew in my hand(s), and I'd be invested in every play. Go Orange.

All its going to take are a few moments that can cause bad blood for a lifetime, ala John Thompson on the way out of Manley or message board banter ala the boneyard.

Don't worry, you'll be able to hate again. It will just take time. Be patient.
That's why I loved the ACC move. I have had 40 years of UNC hate and 30 years of Duke hate. Now the loop is closed.
My Darth Vader opponent list (no reason other than that is what it is)
Duke, UNC, GTown, UConn, 'Ville. Pitt

Marquette has made the big dance every year since 2006. Made the elite 8 last season. FF in 2003.

VA didn't make the dance last year. got bounced in the first round in 2012 which was their first appearance since 2006.

How's Marquette's football team? Kinda like yours, right?

You get it. Joining the ACC will be the best thing that happened to this school. Big East and the AAC will both be mid-level especially when Louisville joins the ACC. And it's not basketball. It's everything: Lacrosse comes to the forefront. Softball, Football, track but most importantly: academics. We are in the same league as Duke, Virginia, UNC, Boston College, Ga. Tech, Wake Forest and ND. In a survey first taken in late 2012. ACC's 14 schools placed first in academics among the top 6 power conferences. The average placement: 51. To compare the Big Ten was 57, the Pac 12 was 82 and the Big East ... wait for it... 130.

We were 58 in 2012 and I'll betcha we're better now. Affiliation is everything.

BYW I don't miss anything about the Big East except Georgetown but I will miss playing the tournament in the Garden. Ah, well.
Ditching the Left Wing Midget is the best thing that happened that will restore our ratings.

A little non football playing Catholic school a timezone away where we have no alumni or CNYers with a madman clutch and grab coach verses UVa? That's rather self explanitory.
I know we have longer road trips now, but we never had the best results in conference road games in the Central Zone.
Trips to ND have been a crapshoot, Marquette, even once going to DePaul.

The Big East people think about doesn't exist anymore.

Right, but from our athletic departments position, Marquette has no football team nor lacrosse team. Virginia is fairly good at both. You can't survive on hoops only.

Had SU not done the right thing, the only BE schools that SU would be playing next year would be Cincy & USF. I just don't see how anyone would choose that option.

For those who loved the OBE, there are more OBE schools in the ACC than there are in the alternative.

The ACC is definitely off this year. I will say this with total conviction. You guys took a step up entering the ACC. Not only for basketballs sake but for football, lacrosse, baseball(Hoos #1)..hell... Even tennis.. The big Least is a joke.

In the long run, basketball will be a battle. UNC, Duke, Cuse, Loserville, and the Hoos with Tony Bennet at the helm will be good for years to come. See you March 1..

Here we are 12 games into our first ACC basketball schedule, and apart from my excitement over the potential for an undefeated season, I am feeling very blithe towards our new conference. I am obviously not the first person to wax poetically about the old Big East on here, I know, but by the end of the NC State game, even with the perfect season on the line, I realized I did not care about beating the wolfpack. Maybe that's just me, but beating NC State turned out to be wholly less thrilling than beating Providence (though, admittedly, still above DePaul). Maybe, with familiarity, the passion will grow, but the taste in my mouth is not of excitement, but disgust and boredom with the new conference.

I think we all thought the Duke game was a thriller, and a joy to watch. I think it's telling, not just of the status of Duke, but our notion of the rest of the ACC, that we all circled the two Duke games, over and above the rest on the schedule. Unfortunately, Duke fans tend to be 14 year olds who can't handle licking our boots this year, and make UConn fans looks amiable, good-natured fellows, and if there were any Georgetown fans, I am sure it would make them look good by comparison too.

All-in-all, it looks to be as we all feared: the ACC is a poor, sad replacement for the greatest basketball conference ever to be assembled, and it will be thrown into even more relief come conference tournament time in Greensboro (GREENSBORO!). I don't mean to sound arrogant to our new conference mates; only mournful. And our only reward will be some great games with Duke, only to be only tainted by their preteen, can't-handle-losing, whiny fans.

Hopefully all this changes with Louisville joining, but I relished the rivalries with Georgetown, Villanova, and UConn. And I really don't like Duke fans.

The greatest basketball conference ever assembled doesn't exist any more and wouldn't even if SU had stayed. In the words of JB, the dean of Big East coaches, (paraphrased) "the Big East we are leaving is not the Big East we have known".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom