The ACC sucks. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

The ACC sucks.

Don't forget:

- We're tired and don't go deep enough into the bench
- Uniforms!
- Might not get Buffalo/MSG

Almost has me thinking those posts must be from UCONN trolls/plants. Some miserable people need to manufacture things to b*tch about. We are 25-0...right?

They just need to move the tournament to an exciting venue. I am sure Greensboro has it's cultural icons and is a fine place to live in, but really would you go their fro your entertainment. How many people plan a vacation around a trip there or have the place on their bucket list. Frankly, if The ACC tournament were not held there would anyone outside of North Carolina know it exists.

They just need to move the tournament to an exciting venue. I am sure Greensboro has it's cultural icons and is a fine place to live in, but really would you go their fro your entertainment. How many people plan a vacation around a trip there or have the place on their bucket list. Frankly, if The ACC tournament were not held there would anyone outside of North Carolina know it exists.

Washington DC isn't a bad alternative to NYC, from a conference-wide standpoint. Still has really good restaurants, tourist attractions, family entertainment, etc.

If I'm being honest, I do miss St. John's.
yeah me too.

the Chris Mullin st johns.

but they havnt been any good since he left.

which means all we miss is the Garden.

but they will play there every year.

so all we will really miss the BET.

and the ACCT is-a-comin.....

Not one single defense of the old Big East. I'm floored.

If everyone here is fine with moving on and gracious for the opportunity to play in the ACC, I guess I won't bring it up again.

The old Big East is in the same place as the old South, in the dust bin of history.

The ACC is now a Eastern conference, not a southern conference.

the acc aint all bad...for example...

http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/18/d...eer-necessary-to-defray-58000-duke-price-tag/

Here we are 12 games into our first ACC basketball schedule, and apart from my excitement over the potential for an undefeated season, I am feeling very blithe towards our new conference. I am obviously not the first person to wax poetically about the old Big East on here, I know, but by the end of the NC State game, even with the perfect season on the line, I realized I did not care about beating the wolfpack. Maybe that's just me, but beating NC State turned out to be wholly less thrilling than beating Providence (though, admittedly, still above DePaul). Maybe, with familiarity, the passion will grow, but the taste in my mouth is not of excitement, but disgust and boredom with the new conference.

I think we all thought the Duke game was a thriller, and a joy to watch. I think it's telling, not just of the status of Duke, but our notion of the rest of the ACC, that we all circled the two Duke games, over and above the rest on the schedule. Unfortunately, Duke fans tend to be 14 year olds who can't handle licking our boots this year, and make UConn fans looks amiable, good-natured fellows, and if there were any Georgetown fans, I am sure it would make them look good by comparison too.

All-in-all, it looks to be as we all feared: the ACC is a poor, sad replacement for the greatest basketball conference ever to be assembled, and it will be thrown into even more relief come conference tournament time in Greensboro (GREENSBORO!). I don't mean to sound arrogant to our new conference mates; only mournful. And our only reward will be some great games with Duke, only to be only tainted by their preteen, can't-handle-losing, whiny fans.

Hopefully all this changes with Louisville joining, but I relished the rivalries with Georgetown, Villanova, and UConn. And I really don't like Duke fans.

What you mean to sound like and what you sound like are 2 very different things.

First, you need to face reality. The Big East was always a Dead Man Walking conference (at least as a Major conference) because it was founded exclusively about basketball and football is 4 times more important than basketball. That's the reason that BC, Pitt, and Syracuse all informed the BE that it would add a football division or they would be forced to look around.

Once the BE became a 2-headed monster (a league still primarily about basketball with some members who were allowed in for football but not for basketball and with members who did not even play 1A football having major say over the conference), the clock to its death began ticking.

The BE today is what it was always meant to be: 100% basketball and 0% football.

If not for the ACC, Syracuse would be another UConn or Cincinnati, stuck in a non-Major conference and desperate to move up.

ACC basketball has much more history than BE basketball. ACC basketball now has more upside than the 16 team BE Syracuse just left.

The Greensboro Coliseum seats more than MSG and is newer and has nicer amenities. It is a great place for a tournament because no ACC school is in Greensboro, but 8 ACC schools are within easy driving distance.

ACC basketball has some great fan bases. If Syracuse cannot fit in and find a place among the rivalries, that's on Syracuse. If any Syracuse fan fails to see the value of ACC basketball, then the rest of us will pity him for his stupidity and/or bad taste.

Outside of actual basketball, UVA has more to offer as a conference member no doubt.

It takes what I call a basketball-obsessed idiot to suggest otherwise.

If all you care about is basketball, you know that Marquette has a fine basketball history and a great set of fans. UVA, while it has a fine new gym, reached its first NCAA only in 1976, when, after finishing last in the ACC regular season, it won the ACC tournament. Other than the Ralph Sampson years, UVA has little basketball history. But it has major upside, especially with Maryland headed to the Big Midwest.

The ACC is now a Eastern conference, not a southern conference.

The ACC is certainly trying to be the Eastern Conference covering the Atlantic Seaboard from Bangor, ME to Key West, FL and every point in between with a few stop offs in Kentucky and Indiana.

What you mean to sound like and what you sound like are 2 very different things.

First, you need to face reality. The Big East was always a Dead Man Walking conference (at least as a Major conference) because it was founded exclusively about basketball and football is 4 times more important than basketball. That's the reason that BC, Pitt, and Syracuse all informed the BE that it would add a football division or they would be forced to look around.

Once the BE became a 2-headed monster (a league still primarily about basketball with some members who were allowed in for football but not for basketball and with members who did not even play 1A football having major say over the conference), the clock to its death began ticking.

The BE today is what it was always meant to be: 100% basketball and 0% football.

If not for the ACC, Syracuse would be another UConn or Cincinnati, stuck in a non-Major conference and desperate to move up.

ACC basketball has much more history than BE basketball. ACC basketball now has more upside than the 16 team BE Syracuse just left.

The Greensboro Coliseum seats more than MSG and is newer and has nicer amenities. It is a great place for a tournament because no ACC school is in Greensboro, but 8 ACC schools are within easy driving distance.

ACC basketball has some great fan bases. If Syracuse cannot fit in and find a place among the rivalries, that's on Syracuse. If any Syracuse fan fails to see the value of ACC basketball, then the rest of us will pity him for his stupidity and/or bad taste.
Most of us are ecstatic to be here. From reading the board, you know that. Every now and then, an 'I long for the good old days' post comes up. Whether nostalgic or misguided, I don't know. But as a basketball conference, the BE was something special. It should be remembered fondly. Don't forget that. But again, the key word in that sentence is 'was'.

And just because Greensboro has more seats and nicer amenities, doesn't make it MSG. Have you been the the Garden recently? Very different than it was just a few years ago.

You'd think by now, the greatness of some of the ACC fan bases would have rubbed off on State. ;) Then again, we thought the same thing about Rutgers and UConn.

The theme of your post seemed to be that there's a need to be forward thinking and that positioning the league for maximum exposure and revenue is wise, right up until the bolded part. If MSG is attainable, it would be idiotic not to play there as much as possible for so many reasons. A foothold in a world famous arena in the number one market in the country is a no-brainer.

The ACC has been a number of things thus far in the SU era, what it has not been is a very good basketball league. And that goes back to the last ACC expansion really. Top heavy with two programs that are/were heavyweights, and a big big dropoff after that. SU's arrival adds a third major player, and Louisville brings that next year. Pitt adds hoops value...after that the rest of this league needs to step up its game. Virginia has done so this year, kudos to them. Would be nice if they could be the kind of program that can actually make an NCAA tournament in consecutive years, something they aren't today. While the old Big East was too vulnerable to remain built as was, the level of hoops competition we enjoyed as fans was on another level compared to where SU is today. As far as rivalries go, SU has history with Pitt and Louisville (we hate Notre Dame but it might be too lop-sided to be a 'rivalry'), and there'll be a lot of opportunities to play some high level battles with Duke and UNC. 2/3 of the way into this season, I would say almost all of the league has failed to form the beginnings of a rivalry with SU, and those shortcomings are on the league.

It's funny to mock UConn's demise because it was such a fierce rivalry. But it's important to remember that Marsh's motto came about because Syracuse fans here on this board lamented and were hesitant to lose a true rival that gave us innumerable great games. Maybe it's easier for some to move on from the rivals we grew up with, but I don't think I am one of them.
I'm with you on this one. Basketball isn't the same at all without the Big East, especially as a UConn fan.

Here we are 12 games into our first ACC basketball schedule, and apart from my excitement over the potential for an undefeated season, I am feeling very blithe towards our new conference. I am obviously not the first person to wax poetically about the old Big East on here, I know, but by the end of the NC State game, even with the perfect season on the line, I realized I did not care about beating the wolfpack. Maybe that's just me, but beating NC State turned out to be wholly less thrilling than beating Providence (though, admittedly, still above DePaul). Maybe, with familiarity, the passion will grow, but the taste in my mouth is not of excitement, but disgust and boredom with the new conference.

I think we all thought the Duke game was a thriller, and a joy to watch. I think it's telling, not just of the status of Duke, but our notion of the rest of the ACC, that we all circled the two Duke games, over and above the rest on the schedule. Unfortunately, Duke fans tend to be 14 year olds who can't handle licking our boots this year, and make UConn fans looks amiable, good-natured fellows, and if there were any Georgetown fans, I am sure it would make them look good by comparison too.

All-in-all, it looks to be as we all feared: the ACC is a poor, sad replacement for the greatest basketball conference ever to be assembled, and it will be thrown into even more relief come conference tournament time in Greensboro (GREENSBORO!). I don't mean to sound arrogant to our new conference mates; only mournful. And our only reward will be some great games with Duke, only to be only tainted by their preteen, can't-handle-losing, whiny fans.

Hopefully all this changes with Louisville joining, but I relished the rivalries with Georgetown, Villanova, and UConn. And I really don't like Duke fans.

I agree with you. Too bad one to four ACC schools didn't join the Big East instead of what happened, it would've been so much better.

Most of us are ecstatic to be here. From reading the board, you know that. Every now and then, an 'I long for the good old days' post comes up. Whether nostalgic or misguided, I don't know. But as a basketball conference, the BE was something special. It should be remembered fondly. Don't forget that. But again, the key word in that sentence is 'was'.

And just because Greensboro has more seats and nicer amenities, doesn't make it MSG. Have you been the the Garden recently? Very different than it was just a few years ago.

You'd think by now, the greatness of some of the ACC fan bases would have rubbed off on State. ;) Then again, we thought the same thing about Rutgers and UConn.

Not a chance, they see everything that happens as a personal insult to them and to NC State. Every loss is because they were shorted and cheated. Every time something bad happens it is because they were lied about and set up.

They live as an eternal victim filled with bile and bitterness.

I agree with you. Too bad one to four ACC schools didn't join the Big East instead of what happened, it would've been so much better.

Pardon me, but that is crazy talk, absolutely crazy. UNC was never, ever, going to go to the Big East. Our choice was to go to the SEC or stay in the ACC. ( Also, ANY conference built on BB will be second rate, the money is NOT there for BB like it is in FB. )

To be blunt, the ACC has been the major conference in college BB for a LONG time. Our history is deeper and longer than other conference, some have risen up and challenged ( or even passed ) for a time, but the ACC has been there for decades. Much longer than the "Big East" was on the scene. I really don't get how some of you can act like the ACC is new to CBB or takes a back seat to any other conference. I understand missing your rivalries, and that sucks, but you don't have to denigrate your new home because you miss those games.

By adding Syracuse, Louisville, and Pitt... the ACC added two dominant programs and one "on the cusp" to that history. We, that includes you now, have a lineup that no one else can compare to. Syracuse and Louisville gives the ACC something it has lacked for a decade, that being a team(s) that can challenge UNC and Duke year in and year out. If Pitt/Va and one other can stay in that "challenger" range, the ACC season will be insane.

It is easy to see why Cuse fans would be nostalgic about the Big East. It is easy to see why ACC fans don't get it (April results). It is also easy to see why the ACC is a better home for Syracuse - and how the ACC is stronger for having them.

Pardon me, but that is crazy talk, absolutely crazy. UNC was never, ever, going to go to the Big East. Our choice was to go to the SEC or stay in the ACC. ( Also, ANY conference built on BB will be second rate, the money is NOT there for BB like it is in FB. )

To be blunt, the ACC has been the major conference in college BB for a LONG time. Our history is deeper and longer than other conference, some have risen up and challenged ( or even passed ) for a time, but the ACC has been there for decades. Much longer than the "Big East" was on the scene. I really don't get how some of you can act like the ACC is new to CBB or takes a back seat to any other conference. I understand missing your rivalries, and that sucks, but you don't have to denigrate your new home because you miss those games.

By adding Syracuse, Louisville, and Pitt... the ACC added two dominant programs and one "on the cusp" to that history. We, that includes you now, have a lineup that no one else can compare to. Syracuse and Louisville gives the ACC something it has lacked for a decade, that being a team(s) that can challenge UNC and Duke year in and year out. If Pitt/Va and one other can stay in that "challenger" range, the ACC season will be insane.

I realize it would've been hard for the Big East to expand by adding schools from the other major conferences and that UNC had no desire to join the BE.

Let's say:

1) Notre Dame would've helped the Big East by agreeing to play FSU, Maryland, whomever in football if that school would join the BE

2) the owners of MSG wouldn't allow any ACC school to play in MSG unless they joined the BE

3) ESPN would've tried to destroy the ACC instead of the Big East

4) the BE would've cared more about football than they did

"Crazy" things may have happened if those things were true.

As far as the "great" ACC is concerned, recent history is more important than older history (that applies to just about anything in life but back to the subject at hand). Since the Big East went to 16 teams and the ACC went to 12 (2005-2006 season, so the last 8 years) the BE has had 8 different schools make it past the Sweet Sixteen a combined 15 times - this is better than any other conference and is quite remarkable as getting to an Elite Eight (or beyond obviously) is a hard thing to do. UNC has done it 5 times in this time period which is tremendous and Duke somewhat surprisingly has only done it twice (again, it's hard to do). There is no question that UNC and Duke have great basketball programs but 2 schools don't make a conference. As far as the rest of the ACC is concerned, 0 schools have made it past the Sweet Sixteen a combined 0 times. That's right, in the last 8 years the other 10 schools in the "great" ACC have never gotten past the Sweet16 - that's pathetic. All the other major conferences did better than that, the ACC is the only league with only 2 schools making it that far - even the lowly Pac12 got 3 schools that far.

The Big East was getting better too, it had a bright future in basketball and a solid future in football. It never was going to be the best in that sport but neither is the ACC. At any rate, if the pathetic ACC is going to do anything amazing in the future it will be because of the Big East schools and not the old ACC.

I loved the Big East. It was the best basketball conference of its time and Syracuse was a cornerstone. That's part of our rich history and a great source of pride. However, I love the ACC too. It's better for Syracuse in many ways, including benefits for the hordes of fans that now live all along the east coast. I'm one of those and am feeling very happy that my chosen home is now affiliated with my roots in northern New York.

During my adult life, SU has gone from being an "eastern independent" to the ECAC, to the Big East, and now to the ACC. It's the next era for Syracuse and a great place to be. We're among peers and have a great opportunity to grow & prosper. It's a superb time to be a Syracuse fan.

I agree with everything you just said except about MSG. MSG just had a complete overhaul and looks absolutely amazing. The issue with what I've heard about the Greensboro Coliseum is a lack of amenities outside the arena. MSG was an amazing experience because the whole area around MSG was taken over by BE fans. You could walk into a bar and find fans from almost every different school drinking together and talking s*** to each other. Every major school - including every ACC school - has a huge alumni presence in NYC. An ACC Tournament at MSG is something that I hope to experience at least once in my life and I think traditional ACC fans would love the experience. Still, I can't wait to see Syracuse make its mark on the incredibly rich history of the ACC - including the tournament in Greensboro.

And just as an aside, the best thing I ever read about the BET was from a New York Magazine article. The author had never been and commented that she expected it to be overrun with drunk college kids. Instead, it was overrun with drunk 30-60somethings who treated the event as a reason to go on a week-long bender. On a personal note, I am incredibly proud of my ability to sneak out of the office and finagle a way to get drunk in the middle of the afternoon for our day games over the last couple years. It isn't always easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom