The ACC sucks. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The ACC sucks.

The ACC is definitely off this year. I will say this with total conviction. You guys took a step up entering the ACC. Not only for basketballs sake but for football, lacrosse, baseball(Hoos #1)..hell... Even tennis.. The big Least is a joke.

In the long run, basketball will be a battle. UNC, Duke, Cuse, Loserville, and the Hoos with Tony Bennet at the helm will be good for years to come. See you March 1..
The Big East was the best basketball conference of all time. The ACC was always Duke, Carolina and a mystery guest. The 9th place team in the Big East won the NCAA tournament a few years ago.

Marquette has made the big dance every year since 2006. Made the elite 8 last season. FF in 2003.

VA didn't make the dance last year. got bounced in the first round in 2012 which was their first appearance since 2006.

Marquette attendance and fan support is off the charts compared to VA.

Marquette has a nice program, but I never got really excited about playing them, they were outsiders from a different region of the country.

Here we are 12 games into our first ACC basketball schedule, and apart from my excitement over the potential for an undefeated season, I am feeling very blithe towards our new conference. I am obviously not the first person to wax poetically about the old Big East on here, I know, but by the end of the NC State game, even with the perfect season on the line, I realized I did not care about beating the wolfpack. Maybe that's just me, but beating NC State turned out to be wholly less thrilling than beating Providence (though, admittedly, still above DePaul). Maybe, with familiarity, the passion will grow, but the taste in my mouth is not of excitement, but disgust and boredom with the new conference.

I think we all thought the Duke game was a thriller, and a joy to watch. I think it's telling, not just of the status of Duke, but our notion of the rest of the ACC, that we all circled the two Duke games, over and above the rest on the schedule. Unfortunately, Duke fans tend to be 14 year olds who can't handle licking our boots this year, and make UConn fans looks amiable, good-natured fellows, and if there were any Georgetown fans, I am sure it would make them look good by comparison too.

All-in-all, it looks to be as we all feared: the ACC is a poor, sad replacement for the greatest basketball conference ever to be assembled, and it will be thrown into even more relief come conference tournament time in Greensboro (GREENSBORO!). I don't mean to sound arrogant to our new conference mates; only mournful. And our only reward will be some great games with Duke, only to be only tainted by their preteen, can't-handle-losing, whiny fans.

Hopefully all this changes with Louisville joining, but I relished the rivalries with Georgetown, Villanova, and UConn. And I really don't like Duke fans.

Don't be silly. We are making real rivalries in our very first year in the conference, by coming in here and stomping all over their tradition. It's been over 40 years since another ACC team did what we've done so far. The fact that the last few games have been so close has them all incensed.

This is going to turn into a real rivalry really fast when we start seeing the Tobacco Road schools get some home cooking from the refs in the next month. We've got 5 road games left to play, and most them are pretty legitimate challenges. We're probably going to have some reasons to return the hate pretty soon.

This. Times infinite. I'd watch Syracuse against anyone, anywhere. My palms would be sweaty even with an ice cold brew in my hand(s), and I'd be invested in every play. Go Orange.

Yeah, but the conference had some in between years, too, after we had been left at the altar from the original ACC raid - right after having won the national championship, too. It was like the good taste was stolen away from us before we really got to enjoy it. It wasn't for a few years before they added Louisville and Marquette, wasn't it? That group was the very best the Big East ever was - or at least the hardest, because of so damn many good teams. Yes, they all had better talent and guys stayed longer in the past, so the 80s were undoubtedly the best of the Big East, but that 2006 onward Big East until WVU left, that was a virtual gauntlet.

We had some pretty uninspiring home schedules for a number of years there, before Boeheim finally figured out the RPI after getting left out of a couple tournaments for scheduling just a bit too poorly and losing to one or two of those mid-majors. I think any schedule has to have a few games you want to circle as a fan. I watched too many games against nobodies in a lifeless, half empty Dome in Novembers past.

This year notwithstanding, Marquette has been a superior program to UVA for quite some time, and SU actually did play a number of big games against Marquette in the last ~decade. UVA is having a strong season, but they've still got a lot to prove as far as sustaining a strong level of play for multiple seasons.

How did UVA get into a comparison with Marquette? The missions of the two athletic programs are entirely different, and the geographic regions are different. Marquette has a strong basketball tradition spanning many years. I can remember all the way back to Al McGuire's teams there in the early 70s. Marquette plays in a 19000 seat NBA arena, and they have a lot of support.

UVA has had it moments going deep into the Men's and Women's NCAA tournaments, albeit few recently. We don't have as many as Marquette probably, but we have some. We play in a smaller on campus arena at 14,500. The men's team is having a competitive year, and I know fans are excited about the upcoming Syracuse game on March 1. I hope it's a good game. We don't have any history playing Syracuse in basketball. I know Syracuse has not played in JPJ Arena before, and I don't think Syracuse played in University Hall before that. At least I don't remember it. I will be a new experience for all. UVA and Syracuse do have a long standing lacrosse rivalry. I'm excited to see if we can build one in another sport.
This year notwithstanding, Marquette has been a superior program to UVA for quite some time, and SU actually did play a number of big games against Marquette in the last ~decade. UVA is having a strong season, but they've still got a lot to prove as far as sustaining a strong level of play for multiple seasons.

We are in a conference that cares about college basketball ALOT more than where we came from. Its been great for all sports and the hate will only continue to fester. This has been really, really fun. I personally don't miss the Big East even a little (ok, except for the BET which was just great).

Here we are 12 games into our first ACC basketball schedule, and apart from my excitement over the potential for an undefeated season, I am feeling very blithe towards our new conference. I am obviously not the first person to wax poetically about the old Big East on here, I know, but by the end of the NC State game, even with the perfect season on the line, I realized I did not care about beating the wolfpack. Maybe that's just me, but beating NC State turned out to be wholly less thrilling than beating Providence (though, admittedly, still above DePaul). Maybe, with familiarity, the passion will grow, but the taste in my mouth is not of excitement, but disgust and boredom with the new conference.

I think we all thought the Duke game was a thriller, and a joy to watch. I think it's telling, not just of the status of Duke, but our notion of the rest of the ACC, that we all circled the two Duke games, over and above the rest on the schedule. Unfortunately, Duke fans tend to be 14 year olds who can't handle licking our boots this year, and make UConn fans looks amiable, good-natured fellows, and if there were any Georgetown fans, I am sure it would make them look good by comparison too.

All-in-all, it looks to be as we all feared: the ACC is a poor, sad replacement for the greatest basketball conference ever to be assembled, and it will be thrown into even more relief come conference tournament time in Greensboro (GREENSBORO!). I don't mean to sound arrogant to our new conference mates; only mournful. And our only reward will be some great games with Duke, only to be only tainted by their preteen, can't-handle-losing, whiny fans.

Hopefully all this changes with Louisville joining, but I relished the rivalries with Georgetown, Villanova, and UConn. And I really don't like Duke fans.
For me the real letdown will be the ACC Tournament. I just can't get excited to spend 3 or 4 nights in Greensboro, NC when I've been spoiled by decades in the Big Apple. It's such a minor league venue in the middle of dreckville. The ACC will never be the equal of the Big East until it permanently moves its' tournament from Nowheresville, North Carolina.

We don't have any history playing Syracuse in basketball. I know Syracuse has not played in JPJ Arena before, and I don't think Syracuse played in University Hall before that.

December 5, 2007: Syracuse 70, UVA 68 at JPJ.

November 28, 2008: Syracuse 73, UVA 70 at the the Carrier Dome.

How did UVA get into a comparison with Marquette? The missions of the two athletic programs are entirely different, and the geographic regions are different. Marquette has a strong basketball tradition spanning many years. I can remember all the way back to Al McGuire's teams there in the early 70s. Marquette plays in a 19000 seat NBA arena, and they have a lot of support.

UVA has had it moments going deep into the Men's and Women's NCAA tournaments, albeit few recently. We don't have as many as Marquette probably, but we have some. We play in a smaller on campus arena at 14,500. The men's team is having a competitive year, and I know fans are excited about the upcoming Syracuse game on March 1. I hope it's a good game. We don't have any history playing Syracuse in basketball. I know Syracuse has not played in JPJ Arena before, and I don't think Syracuse played in University Hall before that. At least I don't remember it. I will be a new experience for all. UVA and Syracuse do have a long standing lacrosse rivalry. I'm excited to see if we can build one in another sport.

We beat you in the JPJ arena a few years back. Snowed on the drive back to Alexandria.

Actually, Marquette hasn't been to a BCS game in the last 4 years. So, there is that difference.

And yet they ended up in a more balanced basketball conference with likeminded institutions.

December 5, 2007: Syracuse 70, UVA 68 at JPJ.

November 28, 2008: Syracuse 73, UVA 70 at the the Carrier Dome.
both close games - both Cuse wins

I see that trend continuing...

There are five old Big East teams in the top 25, four of them in the top 11. Without SU the ACC has 2 in the top 25. There is no question the Big East was better than the ACC for the past few years but that wasn't paying the bills.

You do realize that Louisville is #11 and they're just in a holding pattern about to be an ACC school in 5 months.

If they were in the ACC today, you'd have SU #1, Duke #5, 'Ville #11 and UVA #14 with a SECOND TIER* of games that includes opponents such as North Freaking Carolina, Pitt, Notre Dame, and NC State.

Then the THIRD TIER of ACC opponents includes national programs such as GA Tech, Wake, Miami and an old rival in Boston College.

People that say the old Big East is better have no vision whatsoever. Look at the BIG PICTURE not one snapshot of one moment in time.

* NOTE: I don't believe any of UNC, Pitt, or ND to be second tier programs... They just happen to be behind the top 4 teams in listed as of 2/17/2014 but any of those 3 could be FINAL FOUR contenders as soon as next season. With Miami and NC State capable of building great teams, that's NINE (9) legitimate Final Four teams that the ACC could have in any given year.

I really miss the games versus depaul, Seton hall, Rutgers, providence, south Florida, st.johns...not

The big east died a long long time. Georgetown is a shadow of their former self. We will still play Pitt and Louisville.

If I'm being honest, I do miss St. John's.

The ACC is definitely off this year. I will say this with total conviction. You guys took a step up entering the ACC. Not only for basketballs sake but for football, lacrosse, baseball(Hoos #1)..hell... Even tennis.. The big Least is a joke.

In the long run, basketball will be a battle. UNC, Duke, Cuse, Loserville, and the Hoos with Tony Bennet at the helm will be good for years to come. See you March 1..
Yep - can't wait to get you guys on the baseball field. ;)

Actually, our schedule in lax - we ducked no one. Is the schedule tough? You bet. Is it THAT different than before? Not really. Esp after the twerps leave.

Marquette has made the big dance every year since 2006. Made the elite 8 last season. FF in 2003.

VA didn't make the dance last year. got bounced in the first round in 2012 which was their first appearance since 2006.

Marquette attendance and fan support is off the charts compared to VA.

Marquette is a fine program, and has a lot of support. UVa is far better this year though; Marquette is 15-10 and headed to the NIT. And Virginia has good fan support; I believe they will outdraw UConn in attendance this season.

Charlottesville is located close to the huge SU alum base in the metro DC area and not far from the large throng of former upstate NY residents who live in the NC area now. It is within reasonable driving distance of Syracuse (493 miles). Milwaukee (763 miles) is not. Syracuse never brought a lot of fans to a game at Marquette and Marquette never brought more than a handful of fans to the Dome. They don't travel well, much like UConn fans.

Virginia also supports a large, well rounded set of programs, including football and lacrosse, sports that are near and dear to many SU fans.

No disrespect to Marquette, but we never developed a rivalry with that program and we probably never would have (it should also be noted that they were only in the late great Big East for 8 or 9 years anyway) .

The fact is that 1st regular season game Syracuse has with UVa will be more important than any regular season game we ever played with Marquette. We are destined to have a much better rivalry with them than we ever done with (and this is indicative of the lack of a rivalry with Marquette; I don't even know what their nickname is; I know it used to be Warriors).

Golden Eagles... UVA will be a much bigger rivalry. I think Coach Hop and Tony Bennett will go at it for a good twenty years.

First off, Bite Your Tongue. The ACC threw us a golden lifeline. We could very easily be UConn right now.

This. Absolutely no complaining here. And our games have pretty much all been competitive - some scary competitive against "lesser" competition. I'll take the ACC over the old or bew BE any day of the week. The BE as we know it is history.

If you are an east coast high school basketball star, where are you thinking about going to college? The AAC, NBE or ACC?

Within the next three years, the ACC will be back to it's glory days and be the #1 basketball conference in the nation.

We are so fortunate to be where we are today and in the future.

what a load of whining crap.

We beat you in the JPJ arena a few years back. Snowed on the drive back to Alexandria.

I see it now. Syracuse 70 UVA 68 on Dec. 5, 2007. I don't remember that game. Must have been doing something else then. I was mistaken. I thought this was the first game in JPJ. Regardless, I hope it's a good one this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom