The ACC tournament | Syracusefan.com

The ACC tournament

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
The singular purpose of the ACC men's lacrosse tournament from day 1 was to enhance the status of every team in the confernence to get into the big dance. That is still its purpose, and as such we are screwed. Syracuse lacrosse has benefited from this system in prior years, but this year the whole purpose of the tournament is to get UNC or Notre Dame into the tournament since every other team is in. I thoroughly expect that we will lose to UNC, but it will not hurt us one bit in the final seeding because anybody who knows anything about how it works knows what the ACC tourney is all about.

C320F54F-9D11-400F-AACF-F3914F18DAE4.gif

How I’m envisioning the calls
7EE89478-CC84-4483-99DE-5B43DEF631DF.gif

Last edited:
SU beats UNC. The refs cannot help UNC enough.

Takes off Orange glasses...

Some year the ACC may even lower themselves to allow the Tournament to be played in the Dome. Of course that's still a ways off because of renovations.

We were supposed to get the 2020 tourney, but we swapped with Notre Dame due to the renovations.
The women's tournament is in Boston this year and all the teams play (Wed-Fri-Sun).

look what is happening in the ivies right now.. there is a chance of a 3 way tie for the last 2 spots.. in that situation using a goals tie breaker if Cornell is losing they need to make sure they lose by 6+ so that Princeton becomes the 3 seed and then Cornell wins the h-2-h with brown for the 4 seed.. imagine cornell trying to win the draw so they can score an own goal to make the playoffs..

of course cornell cant win at the X so it could be them trying to force Princeton to score if the cant score on themselves.

Given the weirdness of this year's seeding in the ACC Tournament, I think Desko getting the troops "up" for the Thursday game with UNC game will be one of the unique coaching challenges he's faced in recent memory. Possible approaches: 1) truly good teams take care of business no matter who they face; 2) the way to get another crack at the Wahoos goes through the Tarheels; 3) a loss at this stage in the season will have to leave an unpleasant taste in the mouths of the NCAA selection crew; 4) here's another chance to play a truly sixty minute game, something that has eluded Syracuse for most of the season (with the possible exception of what they did to Cornell in the Dome).

Given the weirdness of this year's seeding in the ACC Tournament, I think Desko getting the troops "up" for the Thursday game with UNC game will be one of the unique coaching challenges he's faced in recent memory. Possible approaches: 1) truly good teams take care of business no matter who they face; 2) the way to get another crack at the Wahoos goes through the Tarheels; 3) a loss at this stage in the season will have to leave an unpleasant taste in the mouths of the NCAA selection crew; 4) here's another chance to play a truly sixty minute game, something that has eluded Syracuse for most of the season (with the possible exception of what they did to Cornell in the Dome).

Good points. UNC obviously needs the win to keep their season alive. Syracuse has been a very nice roll but will they come out with the urgency to match what I assume will be everything Carolina's got? I'd love another shot at UVA and normally I don't care to much about losing ACC tournament games but I am a little concerned about the possibility that if they lose Thursday or Saturday they'll have 2 weeks off.

Good points. UNC obviously needs the win to keep their season alive. Syracuse has been a very nice roll but will they come out with the urgency to match what I assume will be everything Carolina's got? I'd love another shot at UVA and normally I don't care to much about losing ACC tournament games but I am a little concerned about the possibility that if they lose Thursday or Saturday they'll have 2 weeks off.

We saw a similar game a few years ago when SU was the 1 seed an UNC was at .500 and basically needed to win the ACC tournament to get in. UNC came out and went on a ridiculous run and got up like 10-1 or something like that before SU finally got going and closed to within 1 a couple of times but couldn't get all the way back in the 2nd half. SU is in a tough spot in this game. UNC's season is on the line and we just played the same team less then two weeks ago. There is also a lot of pressure on our end as KSOrange noted that a loss could hurt us with the tournament selection group as we would be out of sight and out of mind for 2 weeks. Personally I don't put a ton of stock in the ACC tourney and don't think it means all that much for our actual tourney successes but this years idiotic set up really makes it imperative we win at least the 4/5 game. Was really hoping UNC could beat ND and at least get us the 2/3 game. I knew better though.

The singular purpose of the ACC men's lacrosse tournament from day 1 was to enhance the status of every team in the confernence to get into the big dance. That is still its purpose, and as such we are screwed. Syracuse lacrosse has benefited from this system in prior years, but this year the whole purpose of the tournament is to get UNC or Notre Dame into the tournament since every other team is in. I thoroughly expect that we will lose to UNC, but it will not hurt us one bit in the final seeding because anybody who knows anything about how it works knows what the ACC tourney is all about.

Agree with you on everything except the "I thoroughly expect that we will lose to UNC" part. We definitely have a shot. I think the players know how much a higher seed could benefit us in the tourney and won't be treating this like a throwaway game. But the fact that they aren't fighting for their season should ease the nerves a good deal.

The ACC tourney and these conference tourneys in general can certainly lead to one of the bigger conferences getting an extra leg up. In fact just last year I would say the only guaranteed ACC teams to make the tourney were us and Duke, with UVA and ND solidly on the bubble, ND maybe even out of the picture entirely. But then UVA beat Cuse, which gave them the quality win they needed to have a tourney resume, and ND beat Duke and UVA, which took them from outside the tourney to getting a 1st round home game. Hard to keep a team out that just beat 2 high RPI acc teams including a top 5 win. The 4 seed beat the 1 seed and the 3 beat the 2.

Meanwhile the big 10 had everything go more as expected with Hopkins and Maryland, the 1 and 2 seeds, both taking care of their 1st round big 10 tourney games, and eliminating any chance of OSU and Rutgers making the playoffs. Then you had everyone online complaining about ACC bias when in reality if the tourney results had been reversed there would have been 2 acc tourney teams in the playoffs and 3 or 4 big 10. So yeah on the one hand it does "enhance the status of every team" but technically the tourneys of at the very least the big 10 and maybe the Ivy have the potential to do the same. Just in recent years the big 10 has had 2 definite tiers of teams and the ACC has been a bunch of inconsistent enigmas who could beat or lose to anyone on any given day, which helps more ACC teams get in.

We saw a similar game a few years ago when SU was the 1 seed an UNC was at .500 and basically needed to win the ACC tournament to get in. UNC came out and went on a ridiculous run and got up like 10-1 or something like that before SU finally got going and closed to within 1 a couple of times but couldn't get all the way back in the 2nd half. SU is in a tough spot in this game. UNC's season is on the line and we just played the same team less then two weeks ago. There is also a lot of pressure on our end as KSOrange noted that a loss could hurt us with the tournament selection group as we would be out of sight and out of mind for 2 weeks. Personally I don't put a ton of stock in the ACC tourney and don't think it means all that much for our actual tourney successes but this years idiotic set up really makes it imperative we win at least the 4/5 game. Was really hoping UNC could beat ND and at least get us the 2/3 game. I knew better though.

Yeah I wonder if the Orange can beat UNC/UVA then lose to Duke in the Championship if that elevates them to a #3/#4 seed versus losing on Thursday then narrowly getting that #8 seed, which most likely means playing PSU in the quarters (I know I shouldn't look to far ahead!)

Yeah I wonder if the Orange can beat UNC/UVA then lose to Duke in the Championship if that elevates them to a #3/#4 seed versus losing on Thursday then narrowly getting that #8 seed, which most likely means playing PSU in the quarters (I know I shouldn't look to far ahead!)

A 3/4 is definitely possible if SU beat UNC and UVA but fell in the title game. A loss to UNC probably has us in the 6-8 range depending on what happens around us and the opponent would surely be Cornell almost regardless of seed because of the moronic travel rules.

Some ACC bureaucrats had too much time on their hands. Cuse student athletes being pulled out of school mid week after just returning from road makes their fulfillment of academics all the more difficult. Needlessly toying with schedule and location will create gaps in play for at least two NCAA bound teams and makes forward planning for this tourney difficult for all.

Every game has some significance but not every game has the same significance or injects the same charge.

Cuse may be slight favorites in this rather vexatious game but will get a deep nod from this fan if they prevail.

Wake me when the ACC tourney is over. I don’t care. A tourney with five teams is an uttter joke.

Why the second to last weekend again?

Tradition. The ACCT has always been the 2nd to last weekend.

Makes no sense now that everyone else in the world plays their tourney the last week.

Don't like that "Top Seed Hosts" crap.

I'd prefer a rotation, so we'd get it in Syracuse twice every 10 years. Of course, it would suck if a team was hosting and finished in 5th place. :oops:

Why the second to last weekend again?
Tradition. The ACCT has always been the 2nd to last weekend.

Makes no sense now that everyone else in the world plays their tourney the last week.
It may (please notice it's underlined) be because of a request from UVa to avoid playing during exams. For a number of years the ACCT was our last regular season game of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom