The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Maryland: Maryland has interest in TCU co-offensive coordinator / inside receivers coach Doug Meacham for its head coaching job, according to CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd.

Missouri: The school has interest in Houston’s Tom Herman, Memphis’ Justin Fuente and Temple’s Matt Rhule for its head coaching job, according to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy. Keep in mind that Mizzou athletic director Mack Rhoades hired Herman during his tenure as the Houston athletic director.

First - the team played awesome today. Mahoney deserves a scholarship.
Second - the decision has already been made.

If the decision was/is to let Shafer go then I think a win yesterday would Have been the only thing to save his job. But I have been saying this decision has already been made. The last two game are meaningless to Coyle and Shafer job status.

If the decision was/is to let Shafer go then I think a win yesterday would Have been the only thing to save his job. But I have been saying this decision has already been made. The last two game are meaningless to Coyle and Shafer job status.

I agree with this. Coyle saw enough bad several weeks in a row. We should've never been blown out by USF or Louisville. We hung tight with LSU and Clemson, but the boneheaded issues in the first 2 games I mentioned and the Pitt and UVA disasters are just too much to swallow.

So does anyone know if an actually decision has been made? Any sources or inside info? Or is this just assumptions and wishful thinking?

So does anyone know if an actually decision has been made? Any sources or inside info? Or is this just assumptions and wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking? I guess that depends on what you are wishing for.

No one knows anything. Any poster that says with any surety 'He's gone' or 'He's staying' is blowing smoke. It's all just opinions and/or wishes.

There are people here that have very good connections. I wouldn't rule all of the hearsay out. We'd likely hear more if posts like this didn't happen.

There are people here that have very good connections. I wouldn't rule all of the hearsay out. We'd likely hear more if posts like this didn't happen.
I'm not doubting the posters I just couldn't tell if it was something they heard or something they were guessing at. Just had a hard time with the the context of their posts

I'm not doubting the posters I just couldn't tell if it was something they heard or something they were guessing at. Just had a hard time with the the context of their posts
I fully understand that people have good connections. But unless one of them is Mark Coyle, and he felt like sharing (which I highly doubt), no one knows anything in terms of a decision.

I fully understand that people have good connections. But unless one of them is Mark Coyle, and he felt like sharing (which I highly doubt), no one knows anything in terms of a decision.

Oh have I not mentioned what my REAL name is before?

Miami (FL): The school is using Korn Ferry for its head coaching search. In addition, a search advisory committee will include board of trustees members Hilarie Bass, David Epstein and Steve Saiontz, deputy athletic director Jennifer Strawley and former players Jonathan Vilma and Vinny Testaverde.
Miami (FL): The Miami Herald reports that Butch Davis is only a “fallback option” if more appealing candidates don’t materialize.

Maryland: CBS Sports reports Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien is "very intrigued" by the Maryland head coaching job, but the Houston Chronicle reports O'Brien has "no interest" in it. O’Brien served as Maryland’s running backs coach from 2003-04, and he has a relationship with Under Armour CEO and Maryland booster Kevin Plank.

USC: The LA Daily News reports Pat Haden never intended to step down this weekend, despite rumors. The paper reports the rumors were so rampant that people in the athletic department had wondered if it was true.

South Carolina: Shawn Elliott and AD Ray Tanner have denied a report from Fox Sports that South Carolina assistants have been told to stop pursuing commitments from recruits in order to save scholarships for the next coach, telling reporters the report is not true.
EDIT - rumors swirl about Tom Hermann - I will be shocked it this happens.

South Carolina: Athletic director Ray Tanner tells ESPN he is looking to make a head coaching hire by early December.

UCF: The school will interview three athletic director finalists on Monday in Chicago, according to the Orlando Sentinel. Those candidates include Buffalo athletic director Danny White, Kentucky deputy athletic director DeWayne Peevy and an unnamed candidate.

Illinois: After a loss to Ohio State, interim head coach Bill Cubit told reporters, “Do I think I’m the guy? You bet I do. If (the administration) can’t see it, there’s not much I can do.” The Illini are 5-5 and finish with games at Minnesota and vs. Northwestern.
Edit - they are not going to get anybody better than Cubit.

Missouri: The school has interest in Houston’s Tom Herman, Memphis’ Justin Fuente and Temple’s Matt Rhule for its head coaching job, according to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy. Keep in mind that Mizzou athletic director Mack Rhoades hired Herman during his tenure as the Houston athletic director.

And not just Coyle. I don't think people seem to grasp that he's not the only person who needs to sign off on a decision. Kent has to give it the OK as well. Anyone who thinks that the AD has total autonomy when it comes to the highest paid position on campus is misguided.

If he decides to go in a different direction, I wonder if Coyle will hire DHR International's Sports Practice Group, which handled the AD job when Coyle was hired. The firm's Specialty Practice Area is led my Chicago based Glenn Sugiyama, a Michigan State graduate and former director of the Chicago Bulls. Former NFL TE Pat Richter, College Hall of Fame inductee from Wisconsin is a member of the group and active in searches. A former Wisconsin AD, he is based in Milwaukee.

If he decides to go in a different direction, I wonder if Coyle will hire DHR International's Sports Practice Group, which handled the AD job when Coyle was hired. The firm's Specialty Practice Area is led my Chicago based Glenn Sugiyama, a Michigan State graduate and former director of the Chicago Bulls. Former NFL TE Pat Richter, College Hall of Fame inductee from Wisconsin is a member of the group and active in searches. A former Wisconsin AD, he is based in Milwaukee.

Why not just hire the Syracusefan.com group and save money for the staff?

And not just Coyle. I don't think people seem to grasp that he's not the only person who needs to sign off on a decision. Kent has to give it the OK as well. Anyone who thinks that the AD has total autonomy when it comes to the highest paid position on campus is misguided.

Well Kent hired Coyle to do a job. If Coyle wanted to fire Shafer do you think Kent would stand in the way of that considering he just hired Coyle and both didn't have any input in the Shafer hire?

I can't imagine anyone is so naive as to think that. However, I can't imagine anyone getting hired without his blessing or, put another way, over his objections, which means that he has virtual veto power. Not carte blanche to be sure, but the next best thing.

If SU was putting together an alum advisory panel I'd include Pioli.

They should reach out to guys like Marrone and McDonough, not to be on the panel, but to get their take on what the issues are, what obstacles to success are there and possible solutions, what type of guy should be looked for, and impressions of candidates.

Babers, Riley, Fuente, Frost, Montgomery, Herman, Harsin, Campbell putting a list together of top offensive coaches isn't that hard. Coyle should have an idea of what he is doing since he just did this last year at Boise. He has recent experience and should know the names.

My top 3...

Babers, Montgomery, Campbell can't get any of those go best FCS HC you can find. Some good coaches and staffs in the IVY as well.

This isn't a fashion show. Think he would have best shot at Montgomery

Last edited:
5 more positions open up. Now we'll never find a new HC.

Wisconsin-Eau Claire: Per source, head coach Todd Glaser will not return. Glaser spent 10 seasons leading the program. Eau Claire went 0-10 this season.

West Virginia Wesleyan: Head coach George Shehl has resigned. Shehl posted an 11-19 record in three seasons as head coach, going 2-8 in 2015.

Springfield College (MA): Head coach Mike DeLong has announced his retirement after 32 years leading the program. DeLong posted a 201-139-2 record and led the program to 11 postseason appearances and five NCAA Tournament appearances.

Tarleton State (TX): Head coach Cary Fowler has resigned. Fowler spent eight seasons on staff, including six as head coach. TSU went 30-32 under Fowler, winning the 2013 Lone Star Conference championship.

Whittier College (CA): Head coach Todd Stratton has resigned. Stratton served as head coach for four years, posting a 5-23 record.

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Whether there is a change made this year is ADMC's call and I will support whatever he decides. If a change is made I hope he considers Todd Monken at Southern Mississippi. Strong offensive history, his team is showing third year improvement and I haven't heard his name mentioned in connection with any other jobs so his salary requirement should be lower than most other candidates (I know that's important on the hill). At the very least you have to interview him if he's interested.

Has Rhule dropped down the list due to the woodshed beating USF put on Temple at Raymond James this weekend?

Here is my question and I hope people smarter then I have the answer. I hear all the time the money isn't there. Here is the question, shafer makes less then Marrone shafer and Marrone make less then most coaches in the p5. The football coaching budget was based off big east money. How is it possible that the money for a pay bump for hc and staff isn't there to bring them up to Acc levels when Syracuse is now making triple if not more then when they were in the big east.