The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

USC wasn't his program, his staff, his players. Maybe the players rallied around the new coach. But he did so well, he wasn't kept on.

I would be much happier if we get Babers, Fuente, Fleck, but I wouldn't be angry if we hired EO. I would be more angry if we hired another coach that had absolutely zero HC experience.

I would also argue that EO probably had a lot to do with bringing in some/most of those players.

If it is true that Coyle has begun to send out feelers and/or to see who might be available, I would guess that he will have many more attractive options than Coach O.

These things can get a momentum of their own making a change inevitable. Once the contrast is made the pendulum often swings against the struggling incumbent.

If it is true that Coyle has begun to send out feelers and/or to see who might be available, I would guess that he will have many more attractive options than Coach O.

These things can get a momentum of their own making a change inevitable. Once the contrast is made the pendulum often swings against the struggling incumbent.

Wouldn't this be done quietly through a search firm...

I am questioning where all the leaks/info are coming from and how a Chancellor and AD that are pretty stealthy are letting info get out.

Better league but better players too. It's all relative. Year after he was fired by Ole Miss, Ole Miss became rel good.

And who proved they could improve?
Maybe Houston Nutt is the answer. He was interested in Uconn before Diaco was hired.

12-28cottonbowl1zl1.jpg

Wouldn't this be done quietly through a search firm...

I am questioning where all the leaks/info are coming from and how a Chancellor and AD that are pretty stealthy are letting info get out.

Probably, but not necessarily. However, either way it will leak as candidates and/or their agent start lobbying. We are going to hear more and more rumors as the weeks roll by. I think there is some activity going on.

Probably, but not necessarily. However, either way it will leak as candidates and/or their agent start lobbying. We are going to hear more and more rumors as the weeks roll by. I think there is some activity going on.
ding ding ding ... representatives talk, not Coyle or Kent

Worse 3 year record in a way way way way better league.

One coach has proved he can change and improve, one has not.

A better league. Yet people railed on Richt because he's supposedly underachieved in the same league.

Last edited:
So he's a better Scott Shafer. Defensive coach, recruiter, kids love him but an even worse 3 year record than Shafer.

I have to smile about the people who bang on Shafer about his record and yet would love the EO hire (not meaning you). People are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

There's just zero chance that EO is getting the job. No matter what people hear, it's not happening. If Coyle has designs of paying him $1M to be DC, and has an idea of a HC who is on board with that idea (because you can't force staff on your new HC), then sure, why not.

But as I said earlier today, EO's name resonates through college football. If he begs his way to an interview, then interview him and make it known you're interviewing him. And make it known you're interviewing all the popular names so they know SU is in the game, we're not going cheap again.

He's not going to be our head coach. I have no insider knowledge, I just know.

Pretty funny how folks that didn't want to hear about any problems are now leading the charge

There are some problems that people didn't want to believe. Like a coach that doesn't understand the basics. That's the hardest part. That 2 week halftime fiasco had to tell Coyle all he needed to know. There are sheep he could hire that get that stuff.

Personally, I expected us to struggle early, especially on defense, but improve as the season went on. Hasn't happened. We're getting worse. And it's not just the tougher part of the schedule. We're making teams look better than they looked against anyone else.

If you look at the first 9 games in a vacuum. It's over. He goes. If the trend of these last 3 games follows the first 9 (more specifically the last 2), he goes.

If he pulls off a couple miracles that no one here or anywhere would expect, then he stays.

I don't want EO as HC of SU. Terrible hire. We need change not more of the same. Staying the course with a lameduck coach is beyond stupid and extending SS would be a horrible message to our fanbase.
80 teams go bowling. 80/120=67%. SS is going to go two of three years in the bottom 33% of college football and people want to extend him and give him more time. What.
Sorry no to EO and goodbye SS at the season end's. BTW the actual Clark story has been told to me and if those were demands good god we are weak.

I'm sorry enough with Clark, its like a broken record. Both parties have moved on.

Chip said:
There's just zero chance that EO is getting the job. No matter what people hear, it's not happening. If Coyle has designs of paying him $1M to be DC, and has an idea of a HC who is on board with that idea (because you can't force staff on your new HC), then sure, why not. But as I said earlier today, EO's name resonates through college football. If he begs his way to an interview, then interview him and make it known you're interviewing him. And make it known you're interviewing all the popular names so they know SU is in the game, we're not going cheap again. He's not going to be our head coach. I have no insider knowledge, I just know.

And that's ok. Use perception. Nothing wrong with that. Like I said a couple times too, the rumor could be misunderstood. Maybe AHC/DC. I'd be down for that.

But I've read 1,000 posts about Shafers record and why he has to go. EOs was worse and a few of those people are on board with his hire. Just because of the name and the recruiting prowess. It's just like when we got McDonald from Arkansas most thought it was a coup before they thought he was the scourge of the earth.

All in on Eddie O as AHC/DC/recruiting coordinator. Give him $1m+. As the HC, not so much.

I don't want EO as HC of SU. Terrible hire. We need change not more of the same. Staying the course with a lameduck coach is beyond stupid and extending SS would be a horrible message to our fanbase.
80 teams go bowling. 80/120=67%. SS is going to go two of three years in the bottom 33% of college football and people want to extend him and give him more time. What.
Sorry no to EO and goodbye SS at the season end's. BTW the actual Clark story has been told to me and if those were demands good god we are weak.

No one said he is getting hired...he has great interest in the Cuse job if it ever comes available. I'm not totally sold on Shafer after this year but let's play out the last 3 games. If he wins 2 of them...I think he stays.

0 reasoning, just keep yelling your opinion loudly, that works.

Yes, my yelling or your dramatic presentation of an easy decision by stating it's complicated when it's cut and dry really. I don't really care about internal politics, I just see gerg 2 and he needs to be fired unless he gets 5 wins

Lets do something crazy. Lets get Kevin Kelley, the head football coach at Pulaski Academy in Arkansas. He is known for his football style and never punting. Lets give him a shot, maybe some young prospects will be excited about running this crazy style of football.

People probably thought Chip Kelly was crazy at first too...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ach-who-never-punts-has-another-radical-idea/

A bit OT, but interesting to me at least.
During this week's GT v. VT game it was mentioned all night tbat heralded coach Frank Beamer was retiring. They also mentioned how very good, and qualified, the VT DC was. The announcers mentioned Fuentes and several others as possible replacements for FB, but never once did they mention moving the DC up to the HC position. I think this is representative as to the direction college football is heading.

There are some problems that people didn't want to believe. Like a coach that doesn't understand the basics. That's the hardest part. That 2 week halftime fiasco had to tell Coyle all he needed to know. There are sheep he could hire that get that stuff.

Personally, I expected us to struggle early, especially on defense, but improve as the season went on. Hasn't happened. We're getting worse. And it's not just the tougher part of the schedule. We're making teams look better than they looked against anyone else.

If you look at the first 9 games in a vacuum. It's over. He goes. If the trend of these last 3 games follows the first 9 (more specifically the last 2), he goes.

If he pulls off a couple miracles that no one here or anywhere would expect, then he stays.
You are my hero

Lets do something crazy. Lets get Kevin Kelley, the head football coach at Pulaski Academy in Arkansas. He is known for his football style and never punting. Lets give him a shot, maybe some young prospects will be excited about running this crazy style of football.

People probably thought Chip Kelly was crazy at first too...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ach-who-never-punts-has-another-radical-idea/

Thank you for the information coach Kelley. We on this board are unfortunately not the ones going to be doing the hiring. You may want to send your resume to the SU Athletic Department. Keep us updated on how things go though, thanks for joining the board.

First - the team played awesome today. Mahoney deserves a scholarship.
Second - the decision has already been made.

What do you think is the answer to your second point?

And that's ok. Use perception. Nothing wrong with that. Like I said a couple times too, the rumor could be misunderstood. Maybe AHC/DC. I'd be down for that.

But I've read 1,000 posts about Shafers record and why he has to go. EOs was worse and a few of those people are on board with his hire. Just because of the name and the recruiting prowess. It's just like when we got McDonald from Arkansas most thought it was a coup before they thought he was the scourge of the earth.

All in on Eddie O as AHC/DC/recruiting coordinator. Give him $1m+. As the HC, not so much.

Eddie O in that capacity is a 5 run grand slam if you ask me.

First - the team played awesome today. Mahoney deserves a scholarship.
Second - the decision has already been made.

Mahoney absolutely deserves a scholarship. He is quick when he runs and can spin it. On top of that, the kid has brass balls.

Shafer is gone. Yesterday was fun no doubt, and I have no voice, but the reality of it is that Lester called a great game from start to finish, the game would've been much closer.

Lastly, how many offsides did we have? Ridiculous. The coaches need to tell these kids to relax. Continued so many drives and ended the game on that fg try.