The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Orgeron I know would love to be Cuse's coach...I got that info from a source as close as you can get to it. However, that is as much as I know.

At the very least he lobbies his way into an interview.

Having his name on your interviewee list probably isn't a bad thing. He's as well known a name as any for college coaches (head or assistant). Let's people know we're serious about this hire.

Do you think that HCSS had the resources to replaced McDonald with a proven OC? Just a question because I don't know if he did. His hires make me believe that he had a very limited budget

His hires make me think he values friendship very heavily. Marrone put a nice staff together, why can't shafer?

I think the fact that Shafer has a 4 year contract really is a factor that changes the dynamic. I think the PS article is correct. Coyle really only has 2 options rather than 3. He has to extend him or replace him. I think that makes the odds Coyle does the latter far higher.

He only has to eat one year's salary rather than two and if he extends him he really owns it.

Here is the deal as I see it. Shafer is not a year away from success. Next year the freshmen will only be sophomores and we will have a new O Line. We are a few years away, especially with our division. I don't see Coyle making that bet. If he hires his own guy he gets to reset the clock. It is a simple business decision.
It's a simple business decision only looking at a handful of factors in a vacuum.

It's anything but simple, and, whether I'm pro or anti Shafer doesn't matter... There's far more that goes into this than anyone here can rationalize or fathom. I agree that the 4 year contract adds some intrigue to the decision, hardly leads to what the PS framed though.

The decision makes sense to you because you've already made it for yourself. None of us have any idea what goes on up at the offices everyday. And we won't have any idea what Coyle is thinking until at the very least after the completion of the season.

You don't make a change for change sake. You've gotta get the right guy if you're going to make a change. And bet, that Coyke is not going to put his young career on the line just because a handful of fans don't like the offense. He's way more calculated than that.

Do you think that HCSS had the resources to replaced McDonald with a proven OC? Just a question because I don't know if he did. His hires make me believe that he had a very limited budget

Don't know, but that is no excuse not to see who else might be available. Shafer probably had a higher budget than Marrone's if only for the fact he made less than Doug did. Marrone's hired a better staff.

It's a simple business decision only looking at a handful of factors in a vacuum.

It's anything but simple, and, whether I'm pro or anti Shafer doesn't matter... There's far more that goes into this than anyone here can rationalize or fathom. I agree that the 4 year contract adds some intrigue to the decision, hardly leads to what the PS framed though.

The decision makes sense to you because you've already made it for yourself. None of us have any idea what goes on up at the offices everyday. And we won't have any idea what Coyle is thinking until at the very least after the completion of the season.

You don't make a change for change sake. You've gotta get the right guy if you're going to make a change. And bet, that Coyke is not going to put his young career on the line just because a handful of fans don't like the offense. He's way more calculated than that.

Stop it, It's far from complicated. You have a football coach who isn't getting it done. It's done all over the country countless times a year. People in high profile positions making much more $$$ than shafer get canned every day.

Stop it, It's far from complicated. You have a football coach who isn't getting it done. It's done all over the country countless times a year. People in high profile positions making much more $$$ than shafer get canned every day.

Ya, and? The rest of the country has nothing to do with this specific situation.

There's nothing to stop, I know of other factors that not one poster has mentioned. You know why they haven't mentioned some critical factors? Because they're not nor have they ever been an AD and have 0 gd idea of which they speak.

Finwad32 said:
It's a simple business decision only looking at a handful of factors in a vacuum. It's anything but simple, and, whether I'm pro or anti Shafer doesn't matter... There's far more that goes into this than anyone here can rationalize or fathom. I agree that the 4 year contract adds some intrigue to the decision, hardly leads to what the PS framed though. The decision makes sense to you because you've already made it for yourself. None of us have any idea what goes on up at the offices everyday. And we won't have any idea what Coyle is thinking until at the very least after the completion of the season. You don't make a change for change sake. You've gotta get the right guy if you're going to make a change. And bet, that Coyke is not going to put his young career on the line just because a handful of fans don't like the offense. He's way more calculated than that.

It's not a handful of fans - it's a bunch of losses, not a lot of improvement, and 1 year left on a contract with a new AD.

That really works both ways. Does he bet his young career on a coach that he would not have hired? That is really the question he will be asking himself. He is in a position where he has the ability to look at the field and view Shafer as one of the applicants. Does he hire Shafer over all other choices? That is really the question. That is why I think he will opt for his own guy.

Finwad32 said:
Ya, and? The rest of the country has nothing to do with this specific situation. There's nothing to stop, I know of other factors that not one poster has mentioned. You know why they haven't mentioned some critical factors? Because they're not nor have they ever been an AD and have 0 gd idea of which they speak.

Enlighten us.

It's not a handful of fans - it's a bunch of losses, not a lot of improvement, and 1 year left on a contract with a new AD.
You're taking one small piece of my post and putting it up against 3 huge separate factors. Whatever works for ya.

Ya, and? The rest of the country has nothing to do with this specific situation.

There's nothing to stop, I know of other factors that not one poster has mentioned. You know why they haven't mentioned some critical factors? Because they're not nor have they ever been an AD and have 0 gd idea of which they speak.

He's an athletic director who needs to fire a coach. BFD. Part of the job. So over the top with the mysterious factors that nobody has mentioned. I'm all ears. Please. If they want to rebuild the program again they aren't doing it with this staff in place.

Finwad32 said:
Enlighten yourself.

Respect your posts and you a great deal.

I've spent 2 years defending this staff. Countless hours of discussion about the factors that point to success or failure of the program.

I'm honestly interested in what complicated factors we're not considering.

He's an athletic director who needs to fire a coach. BFD. Part of the job. So over the top with the mysterious factors that nobody has mentioned. I'm all ears. Please. If they want to rebuild the program again they aren't doing it with this staff in place.
0 reasoning, just keep yelling your opinion loudly, that works.

If EO is a candidate, then Schiano should be also, right? Note this isn't the direction I'd take.

Shrmdougluvr said:
Whose to say he wouldn't hire someone to spread it out? It's all just speculation at this point. These are things I know about Eddie O: 1. He has a highly suspect record as a HC, but did show improvement at USC; 2. He is an elite recruiter; 3. Players will love him and go all out for him. He merits a look.

So he's a better Scott Shafer. Defensive coach, recruiter, kids love him but an even worse 3 year record than Shafer.

I have to smile about the people who bang on Shafer about his record and yet would love the EO hire (not meaning you). People are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

So he's a better Scott Shafer. Defensive coach, recruiter, kids love him but an even worse 3 year record than Shafer.

I have to smile about the people who bang on Shafer about his record and yet would love the EO hire (not meaning you). People are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Worse 3 year record in a way way way way better league.

One coach has proved he can change and improve, one has not.

CuseOnly said:
Worse 3 year record in a way way way way better league. One coach has proved he can change and improve, one has not.

Better league but better players too. It's all relative. Year after he was fired by Ole Miss, Ole Miss became rel good.

And who proved they could improve?

Better league but better players too. It's all relative. Year after he was fired by Ole Miss, Ole Miss became rel good.

And who proved they could improve?

EO changed his whole approach when he was interim coach at USC and had a nice record for those 8 games after Lane was fired. SS has only showed decline so far, with what most believe are better recruits and talent than he took over from Marrone.

Edit: Not railing for Shafer to be fired, I am in the camp that has stopped believing in him and his ability to turn it around. I feel he is in quicksand and the harder he thrashes, the deeper he goes.

CuseOnly said:
EO changed his whole approach when he was interim coach at USC and had a nice record for those 8 games after Lane was fired. SS has only showed decline so far, with what most believe are better recruits and talent than he took over from Marrone. Edit: Not railing for Shafer to be fired, I am in the camp that has stopped believing in him and his ability to turn it around. I feel he is in quicksand and the harder he thrashes, the deeper he goes.

USC wasn't his program, his staff, his players. Maybe the players rallied around the new coach. But he did so well, he wasn't kept on.

I don't want EO as HC of SU. Terrible hire. We need change not more of the same. Staying the course with a lameduck coach is beyond stupid and extending SS would be a horrible message to our fanbase.
80 teams go bowling. 80/120=67%. SS is going to go two of three years in the bottom 33% of college football and people want to extend him and give him more time. What.
Sorry no to EO and goodbye SS at the season end's. BTW the actual Clark story has been told to me and if those were demands good god we are weak.