The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

I know you guys are joking, but we gotta play 2+ games to get to their average attendance for one game. :(
Plus, a win tonight could see them tied for the division lead Monday morning.

i think we need to relax a little bit about our requirements. i think we focus too much on our own history when there are so many other scenarios to look at at other schools. we're 1 for 3 on coordinators (unfair to lump shafer in with gerg ...)

this is a little rich coming from me being so hellbent on an offense guy but i swear my view is coming from looking at a bunch of non factories - it's not just because shafer and gerg were defensive.

if people are against a first time head coach because of results nationally, ok but i don't think it's been that bad for most schools to promote a coordinator

I don't. This isn't just one potentially poor hire we're talking about, it is 2 out of 3 going back to an attrocious 10 year span in our program's history. If we don't get this hire right, our program can easily backslide even further.

There's a time to take chances, and a time to play it a bit safer. Now is one of those times to play it a bit safer and get somebody who has proven that they can win and handle the broad responsibilities of running a team instead of swinging for the fences hoping for the best.

I think we could do much worse than Frost. He's spent quite a bit of time at Oregon now and learned under Chip Kelly for a number of years. Oregon is still doing very well on offense. Played in the NFL, has a flashy and well-known name, fwiw.

Frost doesn't excite me at all. It would be one thing if he were the architect / mastermind of the Oregon offense. He's the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the guy who implemented it.

I don't. This isn't just one potentially poor hire we're talking about, it is 2 out of 3 going back to an attrocious 10 year span in our program's history. If we don't get this hire right, our program can easily backslide even further.

There's a time to take chances, and a time to play it a bit safer. Now is one of those times to play it a bit safer and get somebody who has proven that they can win and handle the broad responsibilities of running a team instead of swinging for the fences hoping for the best.
do you guys have other examples in mind for teams who got that one pivotal hire wrong that set them way farther back than an ordinary school's bad hire does?

college football has way too much inertia in the long run for bad hires to be so devastating.

Frost doesn't excite me at all. It would be one thing if he were the architect / mastermind of the Oregon offense. He's the guy who replaced the guy who replaced the guy who implemented it.
You don't need to be the inventor to have the expertise to teach it and run it successfully.

No,but list is long of ADs who f'ed up the football hire and was never heard from again. Not saying it's a program killer, but it can be s career killer. Coyle wants to be sure he has 100% confidence the hire is right.

Fwiw...I think he already has his guy pegged. Just a hunch.

Scott Frost will use Syracuse as an incubator for his inevitable run at the Nebraska job. I have no problem with that either.

Frost/Orgeron 2016: Make Syracuse Great Again.

11th in yards per play and adams got much better as the year went on

threw 41 times against ASU and then threw 12 times against stanford 2 weeks later. clearly pretty flexible

9 yards per play against stanford throwing the ball 12 times.

threw 41 times against ASU and then threw 12 times against stanford 2 weeks later. clearly pretty flexible

sounds like a good OC. no clue if he is a good HC. that is my point.

No,but list is long of ADs who f'ed up the football hire and was never heard from again. Not saying it's a program killer, but it can be s career killer. Coyle wants to be sure he has 100% confidence the hire is right.

any hunch as to whom that guy is?

djorange1989 said:
any hunch as to whom that guy is?
none. Like I said, it's just a feeling. I could've totally wrong...but guys like him have a list...and I think he has had enough time to know who he'd want.

sounds like a good OC. no clue if he is a good HC. that is my point.
it would be great to get someone we know is a good HC. those guys are highly sought after. there's always the question if success on a lower level translates.

Sure. He also inherited a system. No idea if he can coach it without having the foundation [and personnel] already installed, innovate off of it for personnel, or recruit for it outside of the cozy, amniotic sack that is Oregon--which has the best facilities in the world and is fresh off of a national championship game appearance.

And none of the data presented above gives any insight about whether or not he can be a successful head coach--those say a lot more about his apptitude as an OC.

it would be great to get someone we know is a good HC. those guys are highly sought after. there's always the question if success on a lower level translates.

very true, sir

You don't need to be the inventor to have the expertise to teach it and run it successfully.

No, but being the inventor of the system indicates that you have the expertise to do so. All I know about Frost is that he can do his job as an OC in a factory with great facilities, with great personnel to run the system that he inherited.

Sure. He also inherited a system. No idea if he can coach it without having the foundation [and personnel] already installed, innovate off of it for personnel, or recruit for it outside of the cozy, amniotic sack that is Oregon--which has the best facilities in the world and is fresh off of a national championship game appearance.

And none of the data presented above gives any insight about whether or not he can be a successful head coach--those say a lot more about his apptitude as an OC.
i don't mind guys that inherit a system. they often improve on it because they're not crazy enough to invent it. hal mumme is coaching at a navajo day camp or something these days

RF2044 said:
No, but being the inventor of the system indicates that you have the expertise to do so. All I know about Frost is that he can do his job as an OC in a factory with great facilities, with great personnel to run the system that he inherited.

That's not all you know. He's been very good at his job as OC. That's not erased by the other factors.

I think you interview the guy and find out.

How can we go back any further? Right now we are one of the bottom P5 football schools in the nation? Can't really get much worse.

If this whole thing comes down to doing actual interviews, he already interviewed Frost before, so if he interviews him again it'll be pretty telling. If he doesn't, that would be pretty telling too. Although he hired Harsin because he felt he was a better fit for Boise of the candidates. It's very possible Coyle will look at coaches with strong NE ties, or at least Atlantic coast ties.

He should have an idea of what he wants already since he just went through this process last year at Boise State.

How can we go back any further? Right now we are one of the bottom P5 football schools in the nation? Can't really get much worse.

With a new coach we could lose some recruits and end up at the bottom in the ACC for recruiting rankings. Oh wait.....

Were you around during the GRob era? It can get a helluva lot worse...

Were you around during the GRob era? It can get a helluva lot worse...

Yes I was and to be honest we really aren't that far from it now.

I know there was a separate thread about him somewhere but haven't seen his name mentioned much - Todd Monken.

He should definitely be in the discussion, offensive guy, turned Southern Miss around (they were 0-12 4 years ago, 1-11 3 years ago and are now sitting at 7-3), not sure about yardage statistics but his teams score points. From Illinois so he's a northern guy, sure he knows the challenges that we face in recruiting up here. Played QB in college, has a mix of Big 12/SEC/NFL assistant work and has been both in the north and the south. And likely very affordable in comparison to some of the other names out there.

I really want a guy with a proven history of turning programs around, and he should be in the discussion with Babers, Campbell, etc. He's doing it in a better conference too.