The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The All Inclusive NY State Recruiting Thread

How popular is 7 on 7 football during the off season in NY?

This is one of the big differences between football here and elsewhere.

When I was coaching football at the highest classification in Raleigh, NC; summer was all about 7 on 7. Legitimately, traveling to other schools and playing 7 on 7 with officials present helped the players develop and learn system. The amount of time devoted to football there trumps what I had when I played in NY.

Is there still pop warner in CNY, or WNY, Southern Tier, etc?

I always felt like that was the biggest problem. Kids don't start playing until high school, while in other states they've been playing since they were kids.

Maybe it's there and I just don't know. In my little bubble, everything growing up was travel hockey and little league.
There is still youth football. Like IB noted when we were growing up there were 3 divisions with 6-8 teams each just in Liverpool.

when my kids were that age youth football mapped to school districts and each district might have 1 -3 teams in a division.

Not popular at all, the Baldwinsville’s, CNS’s, and CBA’s all do it through the players. The kids will put it together at local fields through social media. There’s a little bit in the summer between a few schools that’s headed by the coaches, but mostly it’s just tournaments put together by the kids where they call their own plays etc
The want is there. There just road blocks. There’s other sports that get in the way. Doesn’t allow kids to be available. There’s spring and summer league soccer and lacrosse. Two popular sports on NYS. As far a 7v7’s there’s a NYS tournament that some teams participate in. There's local 7v7 summer leagues. NYS is limited because of the weather. I know Rochester has developmental groups that take kids across the country to compete in tournaments.

This is very unfortunate. But it also explains why there isn't a ton of talent coming out of NY. Sure, there are athletes and some good football players, but nowhere near the skill level of kids who play year-round like they do in California, Texas and Florida.

If you want to improve the talent level, you need to play. You need to get 10,000 reps to master your skill. You can't get that if you only play in the summer and fall.

In California we play 12 months a year. Last year we played up and down the west coast from San Diego to Bakersfield and in Las Vegas Nevada, Phoenix, Arizona and in Dallas, Texas (Championship game in ATT stadium). In Phoenix and Dallas, every team had more than one player with D1 talent. In Dallas I saw a team from Atlanta that looked like everyone was a D1 recruit. Super talented and fast. Seven Magee out of Rochester, now at Oregon, trained and played with one of our teams. I first saw him out here in California the summer before his high school freshman year.

Look around college football. Many of the top teams have QBs who trained year-round and played a ton of 7 on 7.

Bryce Young at Alabama
DJ Uiagalelei at Clemson
JT Daniels at Georgia
CJ Stroud at Ohio State

Just to name a few.

Years ago when I was coaching, I used to run a big 7 on 7 tournament every summer. We were located in Souther Californian, but in addition to every top team in So Cal we had high school teams (this was before club 7 on 7 existed) from Northern California, Nevada and Arizona. We often had more than 40 schools participate. The most we ever had was 52 teams. It was a blast. And the talent got better every year.

If the want is really there, there are enough indoor facilities in NYS to do this year-round. Start small with 4 team round robin tournament every weekend.

It's like lifting weights. If you want to be good at something you have to do it more than 4 months out of the year.

The want is there. There just road blocks. There’s other sports that get in the way. Doesn’t allow kids to be available. There’s spring and summer league soccer and lacrosse. Two popular sports on NYS. As far a 7v7’s there’s a NYS tournament that some teams participate in. There's local 7v7 summer leagues. NYS is limited because of the weather. I know Rochester has developmental groups that take kids across the country to compete in tournaments.
Maybe Utica College could put on 7 on 7 football in their huge practibe dome. It's 500'x 275', could have 2 fields going in there. I know hockey and baseball things like that draw people from all over and are huge money making enterprises. It's a niche market, but UC could become known for it in the state and beyond.

Maybe Utica College could put on 7 on 7 football in their huge practibe dome. It's 500'x 275', could have 2 fields going in there. I know hockey and baseball things like that draw people from all over and are huge money making enterprises. It's a niche market, but UC could become known for it in the state and beyond.
If they did they'd be smart to work with accelerate and then also whomever buys rising stars to have multiple indoor sites and have rotating games within fifteen minutes of each other

If they did they'd be smart to work with accelerate and then also whomever buys rising stars to have multiple indoor sites and have rotating games within fifteen minutes of each other
It could generate money for the UC athletic department. The dome they have there is the second largest one in North America
Todd and Jen Hutton Sports and Recreation Center.jpg

Last edited:
This is very unfortunate. But it also explains why there isn't a ton of talent coming out of NY. Sure, there are athletes and some good football players, but nowhere near the skill level of kids who play year-round like they do in California, Texas and Florida.

If you want to improve the talent level, you need to play. You need to get 10,000 reps to master your skill. You can't get that if you only play in the summer and fall.

In California we play 12 months a year. Last year we played up and down the west coast from San Diego to Bakersfield and in Las Vegas Nevada, Phoenix, Arizona and in Dallas, Texas (Championship game in ATT stadium). In Phoenix and Dallas, every team had more than one player with D1 talent. In Dallas I saw a team from Atlanta that looked like everyone was a D1 recruit. Super talented and fast. Seven Magee out of Rochester, now at Oregon, trained and played with one of our teams. I first saw him out here in California the summer before his high school freshman year.

Look around college football. Many of the top teams have QBs who trained year-round and played a ton of 7 on 7.

Bryce Young at Alabama
DJ Uiagalelei at Clemson
JT Daniels at Georgia
CJ Stroud at Ohio State

Just to name a few.

Years ago when I was coaching, I used to run a big 7 on 7 tournament every summer. We were located in Souther Californian, but in addition to every top team in So Cal we had high school teams (this was before club 7 on 7 existed) from Northern California, Nevada and Arizona. We often had more than 40 schools participate. The most we ever had was 52 teams. It was a blast. And the talent got better every year.

If the want is really there, there are enough indoor facilities in NYS to do this year-round. Start small with 4 team round robin tournament every weekend.

It's like lifting weights. If you want to be good at something you have to do it more than 4 months out of the year.
Absolutely. We preach this to NYS kids and coaches all the time. It’s a matter of getting everyone all on the same page. Rochester kids have made the move to CA. Seven is one of my kids. I also have two more 2023 guys that received power five offers as soon as they got out there. They attend Inglewood HS. The culture is just different in other states.

Last edited:
Absolutely. We preach this to NYS kids and coaches all the time. It’s a matter of getting everyone all on the same page. Rochester kids have made the move to CA. Seven is one of my kids. I also have two more 2023 guys that received power five offers as soon as they got out there. They attend Inglewood HS. The culture is just different in other states.

Keep preaching to those kids and coaches. It sounds like some people are listening.

Inglewood was a very talented team this past season. Will you guys have another year in HS or will they be moving on?

You’re doing good work. Keep it up.

Keep preaching to those kids and coaches. It sounds like some people are listening.

Inglewood was a very talented team this past season. Will you guys have another year in HS or will they be moving on?

You’re doing good work. Keep it up.
2022's Justus Ross Simmons commited to Colorado st. Victor Snow to Nevada. The kids that are still out there are juniors going into their senior year. I heard some may come back now that they got offers. There was some controversy after the team scored all those points on that team.

UB has 30 kids from NYS and half of them are walk ons. Which they can get because its a state school and cheaper to attend. Also, you saw what we did to W Mich and Ohio. What do you think SU record would be each year in the MAC? UB is a much better program because they have more NYS kids?
It was a goofy comment to begin with but I suspected that whatever number UB had on their roster was heavily impacted by walk-ons..

2022's Justus Ross Simmons commited to Colorado st. Victor Snow to Nevada. The kids that are still out there are juniors going into their senior year. I heard some may come back now that they got offers. There was some controversy after the team scored all those points on that team.

Now that KJ is committed, are there any of the other NY guys that might get an offer? Zion or Elias?

Not that I'm aware of
I don't know of any either. Time to change the focus to the Class of 2023. I think we have already offered more NYS players in that class than any class in recent memory. It will be interesting to see how well we do now that we are fully engaged in the state again.

I don't know of any either. Time to change the focus to the Class of 2023. I think we have already offered more NYS players in that class than any class in recent memory. It will be interesting to see how well we do now that we are fully engaged in the state again.
Couscuse likes this. Also a question Tom. Do teams shy away from recruiting unranked players because it negatively impacts class rankings and gives an appearance of weakness to a program?

No coach in their right mind is deciding to take a kid or not based on the impact of rankings.
Agree with money on this.

What I will say is this:

I think all the big schools are aware of NYC and monitor players there pretty closely. If that area produces a good player, they are going to get routed to one of the big schools and get a lot of attention and scholarship offers. That area might actually be over recruited these days.

At one point, I thought players on LI were over hyped and were getting undeserved offers (compared to similar players in upstate NY). I think those days are over. If you on on LI, it is now like you are in upstate NY. Or Canada. Or Bosnia.

Only a handful of schools recruit upstate NY seriously. Pitt does a good job. If there is a good player here, Penn State will go after them. Rutgers and UConn evaluate upstate some.

Not much else. The schools named will go after blue chips from upstate but for players that are solid 3 star level, I think a lot of them end up at schools like UB, or Temple or UMass.

To make things even tougher for upstate kids, I think Dino is reluctant to recruit players from upstate unless he is convinced they are good enough to be really good players at Syracuse. He doesn't want to take a guy that is a border line prospect, presumably because he doesn't want a lot of questions about why an upstate NY favorite son is not on the two deep, etc. If Syracuse doesn't recruit a player from upstate, a lot of other programs won't either.

Hope Jobity works out. Might help convince Dino kids from this area can play ball and help the program. Don't get me wrong. I don't think upstate NY should provide us with 30% of the roster. But there are 10 P5 level kids a year that come out of NYS and I hope we can get to a point where we land 50% of them.

Lot’s of recruiting success stems from the contacts of assistants. This move, I believe, is based upon a decision to develop our backyard to enhance the limited D1 prospects in our natural recruiting area. The secondary benefit is that it helps NY High School football, a win/win for all parties!

Last edited:
If Syracuse doesn't recruit a player from upstate, a lot of other programs won't either.
That's my belief as well. I see Don Brown is giving offers to upstate guys, that will help give these players more opportunities at D1 scholarships and may bring in other programs if he gets some quality recruits out of the state.

Agree with money on this.

What I will say is this:

I think all the big schools are aware of NYC and monitor players there pretty closely. If that area produces a good player, they are going to get routed to one of the big schools and get a lot of attention and scholarship offers. That area might actually be over recruited these days.

At one point, I thought players on LI were over hyped and were getting undeserved offers (compared to similar players in upstate NY). I think those days are over. If you on on LI, it is now like you are in upstate NY. Or Canada. Or Bosnia.

Only a handful of schools recruit upstate NY seriously. Pitt does a good job. If there is a good player here, Penn State will go after them. Rutgers and UConn evaluate upstate some.

Not much else. The schools named will go after blue chips from upstate but for players that are solid 3 star level, I think a lot of them end up at schools like UB, or Temple or UMass.

To make things even tougher for upstate kids, I think Dino is reluctant to recruit players from upstate unless he is convinced they are good enough to be really good players at Syracuse. He doesn't want to take a guy that is a border line prospect, presumably because he doesn't want a lot of questions about why an upstate NY favorite son is not on the two deep, etc. If Syracuse doesn't recruit a player from upstate, a lot of other programs won't either.

Hope Jobity works out. Might help convince Dino kids from this area can play ball and help the program. Don't get me wrong. I don't think upstate NY should provide us with 30% of the roster. But there are 10 P5 level kids a year that come out of NYS and I hope we can get to a point where we land 50% of them.
Thats good stuff tomcat. A lot of what you say makes sense.

Bryce Young at Alabama
DJ Uiagalelei at Clemson
JT Daniels at Georgia
CJ Stroud at Ohio State

Just to name a few.

This is also a problem back home in Massachusetts. But I 100% agree. When I was around there were no spring football meetings/practices, and therefore the quality was never been particularly good. However, for the past five years or so, the quality has been slowly improving because towns that traditionally have decent football teams have gotten their boosters investing in slots for 7 on 7 tournaments. Play all year round? Better players.

This thread can tie in with sutomcat best players in NY.

Wonder how many NY guys we go after and sign in 2023?

I thought this was an interesting idea and a way to create more HS coaching relationships.
Sounds like Rutgers has been doing this with NJ HS teams. Seems like a good concept.