The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 204 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Lets give some credit, it takes effort to be this incompetent.

That's the important point. They have been doing this for decade after decade after decade. There are a few bright spots, but very few. They are lost in this ocean of incompetence.

How could a school in a talent rich State like NJ be that bad for that long in so many sports?

It seems be easy for them to be AVERAGE. But even that level seems to be impossible for them to reach.

That's the important point. They have been doing this for decade after decade after decade. There are a few bright spots, but very few. They are lost in this ocean of incompetence.

How could a school in a talent rich State like NJ be that bad for that long in so many sports?

It seems be easy for them to be AVERAGE. But even that level seems to be impossible for them to reach.

In bball all you need is a couple good players, by accident you think they would have made an ncaa tournament or two, I don't even think there has been a year that they have even come close.

One other problem that Rutgers is having is that BC is recruiting some pretty good players out of NJ. What's really funny about that is that BC coach Anthony Campanile was on Kyle Flood's staff but was let go when the new Rutgers coach came in - I have read that Campaniles's brother is a HS head coach in NJ and so he has many contacts with the schools there. Seems like the new Rutgers coaching staff could have seen that one coming but I guess not!
Bergen Catholic, one of the best NJ high school football teams. Not sure I can fully blame them for getting rid of the previous regime, but if there was one guy to consider keeping... They are regretting that with each recruiting loss to BC. That said, the better BC does, in NJ in particular, stings me some too. First, my wife went there, but also, their head coach and DL coach were ours first, when we owned NJ (that's for you Atom, everyone else here is acutely aware of that). Heck even Coughlin's success at BC frustrates me some. .

In bball all you need is a couple good players, by accident you think they would have made an ncaa tournament or two, I don't even think there has been a year that they have even come close.

Exactly.

Florida Gulf Coast? George Mason?

RU's lack of success in so many sports over such a long time frame seems improbable.

My Statistics training tells me that something is fundamentally wrong here.

Exactly.

Florida Gulf Coast? George Mason?

RU's lack of success in so many sports over such a long time frame seems improbable.

My Statistics training tells me that something is fundamentally wrong here.
at this point the classes for 2018 are very close per rivals. ru had a pretty good class last year

Bergen Catholic, one of the best NJ high school football teams. Not sure I can fully blame them for getting rid of the previous regime, but if there was one guy to consider keeping... They are regretting that with each recruiting loss to BC. That said, the better BC does, in NJ in particular, stings me some too. First, my wife went there, but also, their head coach and DL coach were ours first, when we owned NJ (that's for you Atom, everyone else here is acutely aware of that). Heck even Coughlin's success at BC frustrates me some. .

They haven't been as good as in years past, but still a really good program, I remember we scrimmaged them back in the 90's Scanlon was on the team, their 3rd string was scary.

at this point the classes for 2018 are very close per rivals. ru had a pretty good class last year
43 Cuse 53 RU per scout with RU having one more commit

44 Cuse 48 RU per 2 four 7

Not sure why Rivals is odd ball ... Could it be subscription members?

Last edited:
Reactions: CIL

All that really matters is on field production.

Never, I'm told that doesn't matter...

I'll bet you a $1 that it's not that good, at least as it'll pertain to results.

There are a lot of Catholics in NJ and many of the powerhouse NJ high school's are Catholic schools.

BC and ND will always do well there.

Yes, I thought there was that religious angle to BC's success in NJ versus Rutgers.

I recently read that post about Temple winning a recruit from them but there is no religious angle there.

It seems it would be easy for them to be AVERAGE. But even that level seems to be impossible for them to reach.

It is very strange how things like that work. For instance, FSU has no doubt spent millions on college baseball, been to the NCAA baseball tournament 55 times, the College World Series 22 times - but has never won a baseball championship. (Thanks Wikipedia!)

I have read there are about 350 Division 1 schools in the NCAA and probably many of them have never been to the NCAA BB tournament. On the other hand, Rutgers being "The State University of New Jersey" (SUNJ), has more financial resources than many of them and no doubt has spent millions on BB (student fees being a big part of that I have heard) - yet is no better off than many financially less committed schools so that is a true anomaly.

Last edited:
Yes, I thought there was that religious angle to BC's success in NJ versus Rutgers.

I recently read that post about Temple winning a recruit from them but there is no religious angle there.

BC doesn't get every good recruit from these Catholic schools. But they get more than their share.

When recruits from Catholic high schools visit BC they feel comfortable there. The environment is what they are used to. And when they go back to their high schools, BC as a choice is reinforced by teachers, administrators and coaches.

BC doesn't get every good recruit from these Catholic schools. But they get more than their share.

When recruits from Catholic high schools visit BC they feel comfortable there. The environment is what they are used to. And when they go back to their high schools, BC as a choice is reinforced by teachers, administrators and coaches.
Might this also be a factor in basketball recruiting? See Swider: St Andrews to Villanova.

Might this also be a factor in basketball recruiting? See Swider: St Andrews to Villanova.

I don't think St. Andrew's is a Catholic school. But it's a school with a religious connection and feel.

A check of the Villanova BB and FB rosters over a period of year could easily highlight that. Catholic high schools, in my experience, like to see it's graduates go on to Catholic Colleges and Universities.

Remember all the GMac used to take from Fighting Irish fans? That's part of the same phenomenon.

Haha, the Great Danes of SUNY Albany fame have made the tournament 5 times. RU - 0.

Albany isn't even the flagship SUNY school as I think that title would belong to UB. You're doing it wrong 'Girls.

By no means am I a fan of Rutgers, but if you're talking mens hoops, they have been to the tourney. Brace yourself now, they even made it to a final 4, as much as it hurts to say.

By no means am I a fan of Rutgers, but if you're talking mens hoops, they have been to the tourney. Brace yourself now, they even made it to a final 4, as much as it hurts to say.
In 1976 because Wonderful Wally Walker had the flu. :(

Nice. Excellent trivia, while at the same time a solid backhand to the R.

Isn't every positive statement regarding Rutgers athletics subject to a caveat? Serious question, can anyone recall Rutgers athletics doing something positive without it being merely mediocre in the rest of the world's eyes or because they directly benefited from another superior team's loss/tragedy/downfall? In short, could Rutgers have attained mediocrity by their own efforts?

Isn't every positive statement regarding Rutgers athletics subject to a caveat? Serious question, can anyone recall Rutgers athletics doing something positive without it being merely mediocre in the rest of the world's eyes or because they directly benefited from another superior team's loss/tragedy/downfall? In short, could Rutgers have attained mediocrity by their own efforts?

At one point, Vivian Stringer coached the Women's basketball team to success.

Wow, I said something nice about Rutgers. I think I need to lay down. That took more out of me than I expected.

At one point, Vivian Stringer coached the Women's basketball team to success.

Wow, I said something nice about Rutgers. I think I need to lay down. That took more out of me than I expected.
Yes! The infamous Imus team.